Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2017, 14:34   #16

Boat: Peterson 34
Re: Cuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Oh please!

Do we really have to bring politics into this? Nothing at all has changed, as far as Americans visiting Cuba, since the last presidential election. NOTHING!
Are you going to attend Trump's speech in Miami? Keep telling yourself nothing has changed.
Trump, in Miami speech, set to roll back Obama's Cuba policy | Fox News

The DOJ can bring charges against most of you who have been to Cuba illegally. Just because you can book a flight doesn't mean it is legal. The difference between the last administration and this one is that the law is going to be enforced and people that go there for vacation are going to be looking at prison time, boat seizure, etc. Have fun blogging there on your illegal sat phone! Wait until the Cuban military finds out about it. Great idea to brag about it on the internet.

The US has an embargo on Cuba and if you violate it you can expect severe consequences. It is a serious federal crime for American's to visit Cuba for vacation/cruising as it always has been for the past several decades.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 05:05   #17

Boat: Cape Dory 28

My wife and I visited Cuba in March of this year (2017). We applied online for a permit from the US Coast Guard and after about a week received a request for further information. We had selected “Education” as the reason we were visiting and responded with a note expounding upon the fact that we were / are not in any academic program, our studies were to be self directed etc. About ten days later we were e-mailed a permit. We contacted our insurance broker and Yachtline agreed to extend insurance cover for the two week trip. There were three other US flagged vessels that also visited the marina at Santiago de Cuba and as far as I know, we were the only vessel to have applied for and received permits and insurance coverage.

By coincidence, my neighbor in Santa Fe, New Mexico had taken a cruise ship from Miami to Havana, the week before we arrived. His trip was also billed as for “Education / person-to-person contact”, or something to that effect. They are running cruise ships out of Miami / Ft. Lauderdale weekly, so if you are concerned that the DOJ is going to prosecute all US visitors, there are going to be a whole lot of them.

It is true that the visit is limited to 14 days (not 15!! as we were cautioned) and there is no flexibility on the dates, or “overstaying”. If you arrive on Tuesday afternoon and leave Wednesday morning, that counts as “two days”. In fact, we arrived two days later than our permit start date due to weather issues and although we requested a two day extension to make up for it, the extension was not granted.

Apart from that, the visit was great. The people were overwhelmingly friendly and welcoming but as others have reported, desperately poor. We were surprised that the overnight transformation that occurred in Russia after the fall of the Soviet Union had not similarly occurred in Cuba, which is still stuck with Stalinist infrastructure, peppered with a few Chinese products.

As far as the reports of the Trump administration intending to roll back the Cuban embargo rules to pre-Obama times, I would have thought that people by now had quit listening to “fake news” from the media. It might happen, after all Florida commands 29 electoral votes but I personally wait for actions not words.

BTW, we weren't asked if we had a sat phone and we didn't hide it.
Ed
edmundsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 12:18   #18

Boat: Peterson 34

Todays Miami Herald:

"under Trump’s new limits any American citizen who travels to the island will be subject to a U.S. Treasury Department audit"

I hope you have a good lawyer. You are going to need one! Keep the records you have about all the "academic" work you did there. Something tells me researching the best Mojitos isn't going to cut it.

Please tell us more about your sat phone experience there.
SailsTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2017, 13:38   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsTeam View Post
Todays Miami Herald:

"under Trump’s new limits any American citizen who travels to the island will be subject to a U.S. Treasury Department audit"

I hope you have a good lawyer. You are going to need one! Keep the records you have about all the "academic" work you did there. Something tells me researching the best Mojitos isn't going to cut it.

Please tell us more about your sat phone experience there.
Exactly what do you think the US Dept. of the Treasury does?

What threat do think such an audit would impose?

Treasury Dept. would be looking at things like moving money and engaging in trade. So as long as you visit doesn't involve bank deposits, withdrawals, exports or imports, then an audit would be irrelevant. I would welcome one as I wouldn't be engaging in business that violated our trade sanctions.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 16:29   #20
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Where is this 15 day stay coming from? Everything I've read says 30 days.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2017, 18:23   #21

Boat: Lagoon 40

14 days is the limit imposed by the USCG CG 3300 "Permit to Enter cuban Territorial Seas"

Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2017, 05:13   #22
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
14 days is the limit imposed by the USCG CG 3300 "Permit to Enter cuban Territorial Seas"

Neil
Ah, ok. I was looking at it from the Cuban perspective. Thanks.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 21:29   #23

Boat: Lagoon 40

For anyone interested, I have just uploaded the first in a 3-part video of the 2017 Pensacola to Havana Race. Part 1 shows our race participation. Parts 2 and 3(still working on 2 and 3) will show a trip we made to the south side of Cuba, and our return trip home.

Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 20:39   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Check out my blog - recent posts and also October/November 2015, Summer 2016. See the link below. I have made 3 trips now by boat. If I can help with specific questions, let me know!
Neil

What is the policy on bringing dogs?
txgirllana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba