Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2013, 19:42   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Bringing a Motorcycle to the Bahamas

I normally carry a US-registered motorcycle and I'm wondering if it will be possible for me to legally ride it while visiting the Bahamas. I imagine that I will need temporary registration and insurance. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I fully understand that renting a motorcycle is the best solution for most people. Long story short... my particular application requires my exact motorcycle. Therefore, I'm willing to deal with significant cost and hassles.
__________________

__________________
SBaircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 20:01   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,387
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Haven't tried with a motorcycle but I called once to see if there were rules or requirements for bringing a bicycle to the Bahamas. The regulations and paperwork were so so cumbersome I didn't bother (but I did take the bike and was never asked for paperwork). I would imagine that bringing a motorcycle would be even more cumbersome.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 21:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Join Date: May 2012
Location: New Orleans
Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.
Posts: 3,940
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

See http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/image...ulations_1.pdf for the specific regulations starting at part XIV, section 86 (e).


Basically you have to put up a bond for what the import duty would be, but so long as the motorcycle leaves the country within a year you get the bond back. I wasn't able to find the regulations on getting a local license, but since these provisions allow for the use of the vehicle while it is in country I would assume it wouldn't be too bad.
__________________
Greg

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 23:07   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Greg, thanks a million! That got me in the right direction. I believe the duty on motorcycles is 35% so I'll have to post a bond or deposit for that amount. I'm going to make some calls to the road traffic department to see if I can learn more about the next steps.

I did see a clause that says, "one temporary import permit only will be issued in each year in respect to the same imported article." That might prevent the possibility of making routine visits.
__________________
SBaircraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
GordMay's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario - 48-29N x 89-20W
Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Posts: 31,592
Images: 240
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SBaircraft.
__________________
Gord May
"If you didn't have the time or money to do it right in the first place, when will you get the time/$ to fix it?"



GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 17:43   #6
Registered User
 
dianaofburlingt's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Burlington NJ
Boat: Hunter 25 Mk 1
Posts: 36
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Haven't tried with a motorcycle but I called once to see if there were rules or requirements for bringing a bicycle to the Bahamas. The regulations and paperwork were so so cumbersome I didn't bother (but I did take the bike and was never asked for paperwork). I would imagine that bringing a motorcycle would be even more cumbersome.
What is the trouble with having a bicycle? Is their point that it is a (motor) vehicle and will be operated (perhaps without benefit of license) on public ways? Or is it that it is a valuable object which could be sold without taxes by the one who brings it into the country?

I carry a folding bike and have the Bahamas in my sights for 2014.
__________________
J Cherubini II
H25 Diana (Hunter 25 Mk 1), Burlington NJ
blog: http://dianaofburlington.blogspot.com/
dianaofburlingt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 20:36   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29° 49.16’ N 82° 25.82’ W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,387
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianaofburlingt View Post
What is the trouble with having a bicycle? Is their point that it is a (motor) vehicle and will be operated (perhaps without benefit of license) on public ways? Or is it that it is a valuable object which could be sold without taxes by the one who brings it into the country?

I carry a folding bike and have the Bahamas in my sights for 2014.
You know I was never quite sure why the big deal. Maybe concern about importing a bike and selling it and not paying duty? Since all the government revenue comes from import duties (no income tax) they are pretty sensitive about the subject.

However took our folding bikes and rode them everywhere we went, even all over downtown Nassau and no one noticed or cared. I also looked carefully at the bikes the locals were riding and didn't see any tags or markings to show they were registered or permitted in any way so how would anyone know if the one I was riding was "official" or not?

I would take them, ride them, don't ask and don't tell. Might keep them below folded up when you clear just in case one of the officials got curious.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 23:41   #8
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Bringing a motorcycle to the Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBaircraft View Post
Greg, thanks a million! That got me in the right direction. I believe the duty on motorcycles is 35% so I'll have to post a bond or deposit for that amount. I'm going to make some calls to the road traffic department to see if I can learn more about the next steps.

I did see a clause that says, "one temporary import permit only will be issued in each year in respect to the same imported article." That might prevent the possibility of making routine visits.

I think it means that you're supposed to hang onto your permit until it expires, or you're sure you won't need it again.

It sounds like the purpose is to avoid unnecessary paperwork for repeat visitors.
__________________

__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crime in the Bahamas AnchorageGuy Cruising News & Events 36 23-05-2012 08:12
Best Electronic Charts for Bahamas prroots Navigation 18 28-02-2012 12:29
Bringing a Dog into Bahamas Fullmoon Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 9 21-09-2011 12:04
For Sale: Explorer Bahamas Charts & Various Guide Books mrybas Classifieds Archive 6 24-07-2011 06:47



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.