Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14-09-2011, 22:53   #15

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil
Re: Best Year-Round Cruising - US / Caribbean

So from what I've heard my two best options are Curacao Marine in the ABC's and Shelter Bay Marina in Panama. Anyone else have comments about those two marina's and cruising grounds.

I had been planning on San Diego but for some reason just can't get excited about the cruising ground. We can get a slip close to the Channel islands but I fear that it doesn't quite have enough interest to keep us coming back for more of the same. Also, once there it's a long way to another tropical ground.

The PNW area is a place we really want to go someday but I don't think the cruising season is long enough and the admiral get's grumpy with cold and wet. We like it hot and sweaty.

Tampa Bay sounds much more interesting than I remember but unless we want to register the boat there anyway it's prohibitively expensive.

I heard someone say Hawaii but from what I've read they just aren't very boat/marina friendly, very expensive and not a great gunk-holing local. Plus, it just a little too far. I want to be able to fly their easily.

Am I missing something? If I cast a wider net, is there another great year round location? I think the Med is too cold in the winter, the South Pacific has Cyclones and Asia is ??? Come to think of it, I know nothing about SE Asia.

This thread makes me appreciate the Sea of Cortez but we do have an insatiable cruiser's wonderlust.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, cruising