Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2014, 07:41   #106

Boat: Hunter Passage 42
Re: Belize Cruising

Hi wdavis1,
We have been sailing in Belize off and on since summer 2012. I also know of the incident in the Pelican Cays in Mar of 2012 but we have not heard of any other events. We feel very comfortable here. While here you can listen each morning to the NW Carribean Net on SSB 6209. There are many cruisers sailing in Belize and you will often be at a Caye with several other boats. In addition many Cayes have small dive or fishing resorts on them. There are uninhibited Cayes also but the ones with the best snorkling, diving and fishing usually have someone around. It's no where as populated as the Eastern Carribean but it is a popular destination.
Our blog has a lot of info on sailing here.
Www.sailwahoo.blogspot.com
nolagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 16:33   #107

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

WD, also see my response to your post on this subject on another thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=120412

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 13:06   #108

This forum is great! Thanks for all the tip!

We will be starting off in Palencia on 8/15. Anyone else around?
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 15:08   #109

I've put my Belize Notes up on DropBox for easier access. Still in rough format, but contains some good info. Not a full cruising guide, but intended for supplemental use to a full guide like Freya Rauchers excellent guide.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5421mwf0tj...05-18.pdf?dl=0
Old 06-08-2015, 15:42   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
I've put my Belize Notes up on DropBox for easier access. Still in rough format, but contains some good info. Not a full cruising guide, but intended for supplemental use to a full guide like Freya Rauchers excellent guide.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5421mwf0tj...05-18.pdf?dl=0
Thank you! I did notice you had a number of requests.;-)
BrettB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 16:25   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettB View Post
Thank you! I did notice you had a number of requests.;-)
De nada. Happy to answer any questions too. I used to live in Placencia and worked in the charter industry for many years.
Old 09-08-2015, 00:47   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatchcaye View Post
or with those leaving Rio Dulce and heading north.
AND THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I WANT TODO

I want to go North to Miami in daytrips from anchorages to anchorages
or/and marina to marina.

I am currently planning this trip, bought the Admirality charts for the area,
but i understand that due to survey dates there's a lot of unreliabilities.
I would like to know about extra charts recommendable for the area and where to get them( I am currently in Belgium!! boat in the Rio however)
I have the Rauscher and the Nigel Calder guides already.

I am stll asking myself how todo that ...outside the reef?? ( I have a 6'2"" -185cm draft) but inside is nicer...!!

I still have to find out about a stopover in Cuba with subsequent entry in US waters...this seems controversial ...

Since my ray marine plotter gave up... I wanted to know if anybody has
experience doing this trip with an Ipod 2 G3 and adapted software( Maxsea etc...) and charting as a second navigational device...charts first.

One of the questions is also the meteo coverage on VHF or G3/G4 in the area
Any interesting waypoints or blogs and story's of people who have done it
are of course very wellcome, be it just a link to their site!

thanks
StefD
STEFSAILOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 05:33   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEFSAILOR View Post

I am currently planning this trip, bought the Admirality charts for the area,
but i understand that due to survey dates there's a lot of unreliabilities.
I would like to know about extra charts recommendable for the area and where to get them( I am currently in Belgium!! boat in the Rio however)
I have the Rauscher and the Nigel Calder guides already.

Since my ray marine plotter gave up... I wanted to know if anybody has
experience doing this trip with an Ipod 2 G3 and adapted software( Maxsea etc...) and charting as a second navigational device...charts first.

One of the questions is also the meteo coverage on VHF or G3/G4 in the area
Any interesting waypoints or blogs and story's of people who have done it
are of course very wellcome, be it just a link to their site!

thanks
StefD
Many of the charts around Belize are still based on old British Admiralty surveys from the 1800's. Except for the area around Belize City which has been more recently surveyed due to commercial traffic. Raucher is THE navigation reference for Belize. No point in looking further, you wont find anything better.

I've run Navionics & Plan2Nav (CMAP) on my Android tablet in Belize. Both good apps, but plenty of inaccuracies in their charts. Handy for a general navigation reference or tracking to a known waypoint, but stick with Freya for detailed navigation planning.

Re weather. Irregularly the Port Authority will broadcast weather on VHF 16, but this is only readable near Belize City. LUV FM often reads the weather during their news broadcast, but this is just a verbatim reading of the NOAA forecast which is not very accurate for near coastal Belize anyway (limitations of the GFS model). It is good for outside the reef where GFS is much more accurate away from land effect. Chris Parker & NW Caribbean Cruisers net both broadcast weather at scheduled times on SSB...these are your best sources of audio weather in Belize.

G3/G4 is available in Guatemala and Belize. In Belize there is coverage out to the reef in most areas. Gets spottier as you move further S on the reef.
Old 22-08-2015, 08:15   #114

Did a little much needed editing of my Belize Notes today. Still a lot todo, but made some progress. Link to folder below. Previous & current version are in this folder. File names end in the date in CCCC-MM-DD format, just look for the most current one.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a5jos7hxn...Ad8gFteRa?dl=0
Old 22-08-2015, 17:59   #115
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Super, thanks much. We've been to Glovers Atoll twice befor sailing. We also sent time inland, Tikal, Mt Pine Ridge, and Punt Gorda.

We like it a lot and hope to return.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2015, 19:33   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Super, thanks much. We've been to Glovers Atoll twice befor sailing. We also sent time inland, Tikal, Mt Pine Ridge, and Punt Gorda.

We like it a lot and hope to return.
Yes, amazing amount to see & do for such a small country.
Old 21-09-2015, 18:06   #117

Boat: J29

Headed to Belize (San Pedro) from Nov 29-Dec 2/3rd and I am wondering how easy it would be to go for a sail/make some sailing friends in the area? I don't see a yacht club and last time I was there I didn't see too many sailboats.
Also, I am thinking about going to Xcalak, Mexico from San Pedro by trying to hire a boat as this would be much easier and way more fun! From what I have read this can be accomplished after a visit to the immigration office in San Pedro. Any thoughts on this? Any fellow sailors in the area around this time?
Thanks for any info you may have,
Angela
ADDOUGLAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2015, 04:21   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDOUGLAS View Post
Headed to Belize (San Pedro) from Nov 29-Dec 2/3rd and I am wondering how easy it would be to go for a sail/make some sailing friends in the area? I don't see a yacht club and last time I was there I didn't see too many sailboats.
Also, I am thinking about going to Xcalak, Mexico from San Pedro by trying to hire a boat as this would be much easier and way more fun! From what I have read this can be accomplished after a visit to the immigration office in San Pedro. Any thoughts on this? Any fellow sailors in the area around this time?
Thanks for any info you may have,
Angela
Plenty of sail boats in San Pedro, but most are charter vessels (TMM, Raggamuffin Tours, and a number of day sail operators). Easy enough to book a day trip, usually they do snorkel trips to Hol Chan & Shark Ray Alley. The "Lady Leslie" is a former tired old TMM charter boat which they now have looking good and gets good reviews. Only a few private recreational sailboats. Usually a few cruisers in the anchorage by Nov-Dec...also in the anchorage at Caye Caulker.
Old 02-10-2015, 20:24   #119

Hello!

My boyfriend and i will be sailing from Key West to Belize early next year and I've been researching marinas in the area. My main concern is safety, however, I would also like advise on the best marinas as far as location to activities and provisions. Any advise you have will be helpful!

Thank you,
Jennifer
Jen_A22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:57   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen_A22 View Post
Hello!

My boyfriend and i will be sailing from Key West to Belize early next year and I've been researching marinas in the area. My main concern is safety, however, I would also like advise on the best marinas as far as location to activities and provisions. Any advise you have will be helpful!

Thank you,
Jennifer
Saftey, in terms of violent crime you mean? Not a big concern in Belize...though it still makes sense to exercise commom cautions. There has only ever been one violent attack on a cruising boat that I know of and that was in 2012. Arrests were made and no more problems have occurred. (There is a thread about this event here).

Theft is an annoyance around populated areas, but common sense can avoid most of that.

About marinas below from my Belize Notes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor

Marinas

Regarding marinas in Belize -- don't believe everything you may find in a Web search. There are many marinas either in the works, rumored, partially operational, or places that call themselves "marinas" or even "Yacht Clubs" but really are not. Two well established options for cruisers are Cucumber Beach (Old Belize) near Belize City and Robert's Grove in Placencia.
Both are decent marinas with bar/resturant, fuel dock, WiFi (not necessarily at your boat), water, security, and electrical. Neither is particularly conveniently located to anything else, but fortunately they both have decent amenities on-site.

See their web sites for details including dockage and electrical rates (remember some prices may be quoted in BZ$ so don't pass out at first glance).

See http://www.robertsgrove.com/belize-marina

See http://www.oldbelize.com/index.php?section=4

You may also be able to make dockage arrangements with private owners etc, but that is best done after you have gotten to know people.

Controlling depth to get into Roberts Grove is about 5.5 feet, although I do know of boats with deeper draft who have, with much planning and assistance gotten in there. You have to come up through the Placencia Lagoon to get there, its not hard really, but I suggest hiring local knowledge to bring you in the first time and laying down some way points.

The mouth of the jetties at Cucumber Beach tends to silt up. They do dredge it from time to time. Be sure and confirm with the marina the current controlling depth (the web site always says 6' – ask.)

A few other marinas are in various stages of development around Placencia. Two of the more viable options are Chabli Mar and The Placencia Marina. Laura Beya is a functioning marina in Placencia, but is used almost exclusively by the Moorings/Sunsail. A marina is also under development in Sapodilla Lagoon. You may run across information regarding a marina in Punta Gorda, but this is a long abandonded project. There used to be a marina on Moho Caye across from Belize City, but it is defunct.

Tags
Belize