Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 09:45   #271

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462
Re: Belize Cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK88FairWinds View Post
New to sailing in Belize and Caribbean area, as well as to this wonderful forum. Hoping some good soul(s) here might be able to answer a few questions that have likely already been asked/answered elsewhere. Apologies in advance...

1) What are Belizean marine laws when it comes to bringing a boat into Belizean waters for an extended stay? One week? One month? One year? At what point of stay duration does one need to get their marine captain's certification? Costs?

2) I'm assuming no one sails during the June - November hurricane season. Other than sailing into calmer waters elsewhere, do the majority bring up their boats in Rio Dulce, Guatamala, and if yes, how protected is that area? Weren't they hit badly during last fall's devastation of Honduras and Guatamala?

3) Are there any "reputable" (knowledgable, non-crooky types) boat inspectors in the area? If yes, who would you recommend? I'm looking to purchase in the Caribbean and closer to Belize the better...

Any and all answers much appreciated.

Thanks muchly,

DK

We have our boat now in Thunderbirds Marina, Placencia. Stuck there due to COVID. We had left for a short trip home in Feb 2020 just before all hell broke loose and have opted to not return quite yet, being old and paranoid.

The Immigration and port authorities at Big Creek near Placencia have been very good to work with, understanding of the COVID situation.

Until December 2020, we had to renew the Port fees each month. There may have been also some minor fees to Immigration and Customs, but they were insignificant.

I think the normal rule outside of COVID times was that you could renew this port permit on monthly basis for six months then you had to leave the country. But they let us have more time on a monthly basis in consideration of the travel restrictions and our location (stuck in US).

In December they made us take out an expensive temporary permit from Customs plus a Port permit for the same period. It seems they don't consider the import permit to be held as a bond, so it will probably not be refunded. The import permit was very expensive so I'd advise not staying longer than six months.

I didn't worry much about hurricanes on Belize. They got a bad one a few years ago in Belize City, but Belize averages only one 'cane every 20 years. I would have no worries sailing around Belize in the hurricane season as long as you get frequent weather updates. Since these things are tracked for a long time before their arrival. I Unless you have deep draft, you can hole up in the extensive mangrove areas on the mainland behind the barrier reefs.
Old 17-04-2021, 17:17   #272

Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Waterman46. Good to know boats still sailed in Belizean waters during the fall, while nearby Guatemala and Honduras were decimated. Can I assume you both have your Belizean residency or QRP (not likely, as you have had to pay an import duty, which you would not have had to do as a QRP) as you seem to stay beyond the 3 month visa max for visitors. Any idea how long you have to leave the country "waters" for before you can reapply to start that 3 month visa period? Finally, I read lots about needing a shallow keel/draft boat in the Caribbean and Belize, assumedly because of the precious reef. What is considered safe? 4 feet? Do most Belizean / Caribbean boats have adjustable keels for this reason?

Many thanks,
DK
DK88FairWinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 22:31   #273

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Thanks for your thoughtful reply, Waterman46. Good to know boats still sailed in Belizean waters during the fall, while nearby Guatemala and Honduras were decimated. Can I assume you both have your Belizean residency or QRP (not likely, as you have had to pay an import duty, which you would not have had to do as a QRP) as you seem to stay beyond the 3 month visa max for visitors. Any idea how long you have to leave the country "waters" for before you can reapply to start that 3 month visa period? Finally, I read lots about needing a shallow keel/draft boat in the Caribbean and Belize, assumedly because of the precious reef. What is considered safe? 4 feet? Do most Belizean / Caribbean boats have adjustable keels for this reason?

Many thanks,
DK

Sorry I may have not been clear - we are US citizens only and personally were not in Belize more than about 2 weeks, then been in USA since. So my remarks concerned only our experience with remotely arranging for the boat to be legal in Belize.

Yes there was one hurricane that hit far south of Belize last fall, on San Andres off of Nicaragua. Unusual for a hurricane to go to land, cross it and then head to sea that far south. I would not hang out on those islands nor in the Bay Islands of Honduras during hurricane season as I didn't see any hurricane-sheltered anchorages or marinas when we passed that way.
I have no information on need for very shoal draft in this area, other than to say it would certainly be a plus. We have 6' draft and have not hit anything other than touching mud in the entrance to Placencia lagoon.
Old 18-04-2021, 05:51   #274

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
New to sailing in Belize and Caribbean area, as well as to this wonderful forum. Hoping some good soul(s) here might be able to answer a few questions that have likely already been asked/answered elsewhere. Apologies in advance...

1) What are Belizean marine laws when it comes to bringing a boat into Belizean waters for an extended stay? One week? One month? One year? At what point of stay duration does one need to get their marine captain's certification? Costs?

2) I'm assuming no one sails during the June - November hurricane season. Other than sailing into calmer waters elsewhere, do the majority bring up their boats in Rio Dulce, Guatamala, and if yes, how protected is that area? Weren't they hit badly during last fall's devastation of Honduras and Guatamala?

3) Are there any "reputable" (knowledgable, non-crooky types) boat inspectors in the area? If yes, who would you recommend? I'm looking to purchase in the Caribbean and closer to Belize the better...

Any and all answers much appreciated.

Thanks muchly,

DK
DK,

1) Due to COVID and just reopening maritime borders the rules are in a bit of state of flux. There is a current discussion on the Belize Cruisers FB page from people who have cleared in recently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688...7498465904967/

In normal times boats are typically limited to about 90 days before they have to leave the country, post a bond, or import the boat (crazy expensive). However, the process/interpretation of the rules/fees/flexibility of officials can vary from one port of entry to the next and often from one official to the next.

2) Yes, cruisers still sail Belizean waters during hurricane season. Most keep a close eye on tropical weather and make a run for the Rio Dulce when a potential threat appears. There are some local "hurricane holes" in Belize, mostly just lashing down in the mangroves, but the Rio Dulce is effectively hurricane proof (no hurricane has ever entered the Rio Dulce area, not per NOAA records or memory of old timers there...and I know one old Mayan fisherman in his 90's). The weather starts to change about May/June. Over hurricane season months, the weather is usually quite nice during the morning, showers (some heavy) may come in the afternoon/evening. The probability of squalls at night increases. Its best to use more secure anchorages during the summer months in case there is a squall. Squalls can be quite strong. I've been anchored in gusts to about 60 knots a couple of times in Belize. The entire coast of Belize is very low lying, like a few feet above sea level. Hurricanes don't hit frequently, but when they do it is often catastrophic. Also, late in the season, "instant" hurricanes can form off of Honduras, or other areas in the W Carib, in the right conditions. This usually happens then a tropical wave intersects a closed low pressure area...this amps up the low pressure and boom...a major storm can form in hours. This is how Mitch formed. Mitch did everything a hurricane is not supposed to do...including try to get into the Rio Dulce...its remnants circled the Rio like it was looking for a way in, then exited to the GOM and regained hurricane strength. Attached is a screen shot of hurricane tracks thru the area for the last 20 years. Hurricane Iris in 2001 was particular devastating for Placencia.

3) Currently there are no reputable surveyors I know of in Belize (though sometimes you might find a cruiser who is also a surveyor), but there are on the Rio Dulce. Also, all manner of boat related services are available on the Rio and its a better place to stow your boat for hurricane season.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	352.5 KB
ID:	236761  
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 06:06   #275

Quote:

Many thanks,
DK
Many have the mistaken impression that Belize is all shallow water. While there is indeed plenty of shallow water, there is also plenty of deep water. You just have to know where the deep/shallow bits are...and they can be within feet of each other. The attached pic is a good example of a deep cut through shallow water in Belize. We are sailing fast in about 25' of water. As you can see very shallow water off the beach is close at hand (its also shallow with coral heads on the other side of this cut).

The "Inner Channel" for example, which runs unobstructed from near Belize City all the way into Guatemalan waters, is very deep (60-80' is not uncommon) and is even used by ships.

Once you get N of Belize City, the water is more consistently shallow. You will find more areas of deeper water S of Belize City all the way to the Sapodillas.

I used to captain a few monohulls in charter in Belize which drew about 6', sailed them all over Belize. Although there are certainly routes you cant run with 6' draft.

Boats with "adjustable" keels are uncommon. I knew one boat which had a hydraulic lift for the the keel, this was a 50' mono with a massive keel, the whole boat would shudder as it was lifted. If you want variable draft then a combination of a shoal fixed keel with a center board is a good option. You can haul up the center board in shallower water and then drop it for better lateral resistance in deeper water.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P4160319.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	236762  
Old 18-04-2021, 06:54   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
We have our boat now in Thunderbirds Marina, Placencia. Stuck there due to COVID. We had left for a short trip home in Feb 2020 just before all hell broke loose and have opted to not return quite yet, being old and paranoid.

The Immigration and port authorities at Big Creek near Placencia have been very good to work with, understanding of the COVID situation.

Until December 2020, we had to renew the Port fees each month. There may have been also some minor fees to Immigration and Customs, but they were insignificant.

I think the normal rule outside of COVID times was that you could renew this port permit on monthly basis for six months then you had to leave the country. But they let us have more time on a monthly basis in consideration of the travel restrictions and our location (stuck in US).

In December they made us take out an expensive temporary permit from Customs plus a Port permit for the same period. It seems they don't consider the import permit to be held as a bond, so it will probably not be refunded. The import permit was very expensive so I'd advise not staying longer than six months.

I didn't worry much about hurricanes on Belize. They got a bad one a few years ago in Belize City, but Belize averages only one 'cane every 20 years. I would have no worries sailing around Belize in the hurricane season as long as you get frequent weather updates. Since these things are tracked for a long time before their arrival. I Unless you have deep draft, you can hole up in the extensive mangrove areas on the mainland behind the barrier reefs.
BTW, the deposit for a temporary import permit is per law refundable, but...good luck with that. However, I do know someone who actually got their funds back once. We were both surprised they got it back.
Old 18-04-2021, 06:58   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
DK,

1) Due to COVID and just reopening maritime borders the rules are in a bit of state of flux. There is a current discussion on the Belize Cruisers FB page from people who have cleared in recently.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688...7498465904967/

In normal times boats are typically limited to about 90 days before they have to leave the country, post a bond, or import the boat (crazy expensive). However, the process/interpretation of the rules/fees/flexibility of officials can vary from one port of entry to the next and often from one official to the next.

2) Yes, cruisers still sail Belizean waters during hurricane season. Most keep a close eye on tropical weather and make a run for the Rio Dulce when a potential threat appears. There are some local "hurricane holes" in Belize, mostly just lashing down in the mangroves, but the Rio Dulce is effectively hurricane proof (no hurricane has ever entered the Rio Dulce area, not per NOAA records or memory of old timers there...and I know one old Mayan fisherman in his 90's). The weather starts to change about May/June. Over hurricane season months, the weather is usually quite nice during the morning, showers (some heavy) may come in the afternoon/evening. The probability of squalls at night increases. Its best to use more secure anchorages during the summer months in case there is a squall. Squalls can be quite strong. I've been anchored in gusts to about 60 knots a couple of times in Belize. The entire coast of Belize is very low lying, like a few feet above sea level. Hurricanes don't hit frequently, but when they do it is often catastrophic. Also, late in the season, "instant" hurricanes can form off of Honduras, or other areas in the W Carib, in the right conditions. This usually happens then a tropical wave intersects a closed low pressure area...this amps up the low pressure and boom...a major storm can form in hours. This is how Mitch formed. Mitch did everything a hurricane is not supposed to do...including try to get into the Rio Dulce...its remnants circled the Rio like it was looking for a way in, then exited to the GOM and regained hurricane strength. Attached is a screen shot of hurricane tracks thru the area for the last 20 years. Hurricane Iris in 2001 was particular devastating for Placencia.

3) Currently there are no reputable surveyors I know of in Belize (though sometimes you might find a cruiser who is also a surveyor), but there are on the Rio Dulce. Also, all manner of boat related services are available on the Rio and its a better place to stow your boat for hurricane season.

...correction, that image is of paths for both tropical storms and hurricanes.
Old 05-01-2022, 15:47   #278

currently doing a bare boat charter out of Placentia end of January. Any suggestions for good anchorages if we end up with a wind other than the standard easterly flow? Thanks
PColaCruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 11:02   #279

@PColaCruisers

See post #252 in this thread for foul weather anchorages.

Some are near P L A C E N C I A.
Old 03-03-2022, 10:41   #280

Quote:
Originally Posted by PColaCruisers View Post
currently doing a bare boat charter out of Placentia end of January. Any suggestions for good anchorages if we end up with a wind other than the standard easterly flow? Thanks
Would love to hear your itinerary and plans since you just went. We fly to Belize next week to charter from Moorings out of Placencia. Bringing our 4 children and really looking forward to it!

On a side note--I'm assuming from your screen name that you live in Pensacola. We do too! Small world!
CoCoJoFlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2022, 16:05   #281

Boat: Van de Stadt 44 #393 Aluminium

Thank you all for such an informative thread.

I will arrive in Rio Dulce December 26th and planning to sail north to Belize for a month. Learned a lot here.

If anyone around the Rio or Belize around this time, will be glad to meet. We are a couple from Brazil, have lived aboard a couple years between 2015-17, sailing from Martinique to Maine, winterizing in Boston and back to USVI through Bermudas.

Now we got a new to us SY in Rio Dulce last September and will be our first time sailing the western Caribbean.
gtpinhei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2022, 18:32   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post

I will arrive in Rio Dulce December 26th and planning to sail north to Belize for a month. Learned a lot here.

If anyone around the Rio or Belize around this time, will be glad to meet. We are a couple from Brazil, have lived aboard a couple years between 2015-17, sailing from Martinique to Maine, winterizing in Boston and back to USVI through Bermudas.

Now we got a new to us SY in Rio Dulce last September and will be our first time sailing the western Caribbean.
Enjoy!
Old 21-12-2022, 06:37   #283

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtpinhei View Post

Get #Belizesailor's Western Caribbean Cruising Notes.

On that note, I would like to know if Freya's guide is still worth buying, its outdated, hence the question.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:25   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Get #Belizesailor's Western Caribbean Cruising Notes.

On that note, I would like to know if Freya's guide is still worth buying, its outdated, hence the question.
Yes, Freya's guide is still the best navigation reference for Belize...reefs grow VERY slow.
Old 02-01-2023, 09:42   #285

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Yes, Freya's guide is still the best navigation reference for Belize...reefs grow VERY slow.
Thanks!
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Belize