Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 03:10   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam
Re: Yachting in Turkey in light of recent events.

Well one thing for certain Turkey has fewer days with winds forecasted at 160 knots. That is our forecast.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-157566-3.html
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 03:40   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Putin also claimed the Turks were buying oil from ISIS, but I wouldn't call him a reliable source either. Remember that the US is still buying oil from Venezuela, which is a lot less safe for cruisers than Turkey.
Boy oh boy is Venezuela a thorn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
This is one of the most outrageous postings I have ever seen on this forum. Dave22q you have no direct knowledge of what is going on over here or what is at stake. Turkey has as much to lose if not more from ISIS as anyone and maybe more. How would you know an American is at risk here -- ARE YOU HERE!!! I am and I am at greater risk in Florida where you are than I am here.
Turkey is a great country and just had an election that went overwhelmingly for the current government and I will not comment if it is good or bad as will not comment on the current USA election process. The people spoke and that is that.
The economy grew at 4% last quarter and unemployment is going away. If you want to have residence here you have to prove that you will not be a burden on the government unlike in the USA where when anyone can come in and get everything for free.
ISIS is a great threat to the Turkish government as it would like nothing better than disrupt it.
AND there is no real proof that the oil is coming to Turkey except on the left wing media and Putin and I actually read the other day that the ISIS oil is going to Syria.
We have sailed the Greek Islands and feel a lot safer in Turkey. Unless you have first hand knowledge your comments are worthless and you owe a huge apology to Turkey for your comments.

Sorry moderators I got carried away.
It's OK to get carried away... As long as we're respectful and play by the be nice rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I love sailing in Turkey, and I asked my Russian sailing friends who live there, they say everything is just fine now. BUT. It may change in a second. You never know. Just be aware and be ready to run away in case of serious stuff. Good thing is that Greece is very close so it doesn't take much time.
May change any second is right...

I think the cruisers in the area have a pretty good finger on the climate, but may not be aware of all of the information...

OK everybody... This is my classmate from the Academy... Some very insightful information... If you're interested in this subject... And I think you are because you're reading the thread... Please watch...

Video link first:
https://youtu.be/lbMxcU5yKIQ

Web page link to read...
Obama Knew ISIS Terrorists Selling Oil to Turkey-Scott Uehlinger | Greg Hunter’s USAWatchdog

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:27   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I've said it before, and in this context it's worth saying again -- Turkey is one of the absolutely finest tourist destinations in Europe, and one of the best places to sail in the world. Istanbul is an endlessly fascinating city, one of the two or three most interesting cities I've ever visited anywhere.

The people are friendly and interesting, the food is delicious, the landscapes are gorgeous, there are thousands of years of history wherever you look, and the prices are reasonable (unless you're buying an apartment in Istanbul). I have been there for business, tourism or sailing scores of times over three decades.

The Turks are having a bit of trouble with an oppressive government, and with their identity, these days. Some Turks have become hostile towards Western governments lately. I very seriously doubt, however, that any of this will be noticeable to visitors in any way.

Remember also that Turkey is very much two countries -- the West, and the East. The Western parts where cruisers go are culturally European and quite secular. The Eastern part of the country is actually the most interesting in some ways, but the coasts we cruisers are likely to visit are in the West.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 04:52   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I've said it before, and in this context it's worth saying again -- Turkey is one of the absolutely finest tourist destinations in Europe, and one of the best places to sail in the world. Istanbul is an endlessly fascinating city, one of the two or three most interesting cities I've ever visited anywhere.

The people are friendly and interesting, the food is delicious, the landscapes are gorgeous, there are thousands of years of history wherever you look, and the prices are reasonable (unless you're buying an apartment in Istanbul). I have been there for business, tourism or sailing scores of times over three decades.

The Turks are having a bit of trouble with an oppressive government, and with their identity, these days. Some Turks have become hostile towards Western governments lately. I very seriously doubt, however, that any of this will be noticeable to visitors in any way.

Remember also that Turkey is very much two countries -- the West, and the East. The Western parts where cruisers go are culturally European and quite secular. The Eastern part of the country is actually the most interesting in some ways, but the coasts we cruisers are likely to visit are in the West.
+1

Of all of the places left to visit.... Turkey is at the top of the desired list !

Old 15-12-2015, 21:32   #35

Boat: morgan 462

Awesome link HappyMdRSailor! Well worth watching the whole thing. Mr. Uehlinger is very well spoken. Remains to be seen whether or not the cnn cheerleaders are correct in their 2016 prognostications. The synopsis on the middle eastern situation I thought was spot on.
agb512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 04:24   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by agb512 View Post
Awesome link HappyMdRSailor! Well worth watching the whole thing. Mr. Uehlinger is very well spoken. Remains to be seen whether or not the cnn cheerleaders are correct in their 2016 prognostications. The synopsis on the middle eastern situation I thought was spot on.
You are MORE than welcome to be sure agb512 !

It still blows my mind sometimes when I think of how brilliant he is and what he's done for our country... The trinkets and gifts I have while he was doing his job around the globe are my most prized possessions!

Old 20-12-2015, 18:49   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

I relate Turkey to Thailand where there is a large Russian yachting influence. I ask myself how yachting in Thailand would change if Russians suddenly stopped coming.

Note: In an article I read today regarding the black box of the Russian bomber, the paper reported all Russian tourism to Turkey is now banned. I am not sure if that is true.

Relating it back to Thailand I wouldn't see much change unless you happen to be wanting to sell a high priced yacht. Seems in Thailand Russians were major buyers of yachts over $500 Euros. Instead, to us at least, most changes would seem positive as in fewer crowds, more accessible locations, and perhaps lower marina costs.

Riots and unrest in Thailand can also be compared with various colors of shirts taking to the streets. These were times not to mill about in Thailand and both sides didn't see us as a concern.

In today's paper it also sounds like Turkey will have spots not to mill about:

" Masked protesters prepare to throw petrol bombs towards Turkish police during a demonstration in Istanbul protesting security operations against Kurdish rebels"

Source: Turkish police, Kurds clash in protests against anti-PKK operation | Al Bawaba

Whether riots become more intense is an open question. I have seen riots in France, Seoul, Thailand, a soccer match at Wembley, and my birth place Detroit.

It is amazing to watch a population erupt, and sometimes over trivial matters, and scary to know it is just below the surface.

I felt the tension in the air once when the Chuukees and Kapings had a go in FSM. A full 2 minutes prior I signaled my crew we had to leave the area immediately. I was the only one not drinking and they couldn't feel the mood in the crowd turn. There we just stood aside and watched.

I recall a good book written by a sailor who was one of the first to sail into St. Petersburg after WWII. He described being warmly greeted by all. Sailors will be the last to leave and the first to come back after times of trouble.

I am either proud to be a sailor, or too lazy to flee the Philippines despite the kidnapping of yachties and whole typhoon thing.

I like to remind myself how beautiful the people here are, the green of the rice fields, and of course the SCUBA.

Say a small prayer with me this Holiday Season for the 4 still being held hostage this Christmas and those lost on Europa that never made it through a typhoon from Hong Kong.

Sorry to ramble.
pbmaise is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
events, Russia, Russian, Turkey, yacht