Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 02:47   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom steel cutter, 15m
Re: Greek Islands in the Summer

Don't be put off by Barra, Rhodes is a lovely island, the old town is well worth a visit. The harbour at Mandraki is a bit of a nightmare but you can anchor outside if the weather is right. There are few good anchorages but if you've thought ahead and contacted the harbourmaster at Mandraki, it is a lovely place to visit for a while (preferably out of high season). We like to visit in October/November, we practically have the place to ourselves.
Old 31-01-2015, 04:50   #17
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

IMO, visiting Rhodes is a must do. We went last year for only two nights and will return this year for probably 4. The castle is one of the best I've ever toured.

As for getting into Mandraki, it is best to hire an agent. It cost about 70 euro extra for the agents work over trying to get a slip on your own and was well worth it to know you have a spot. And they do all the paperwork for you. I used Kronos Agency and they did a nice job.
Old 31-01-2015, 10:32   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Consider the Dodecanese, out of Kos. Wounderful archipelo, numerous coves, short distances between the islands. More options to consider with dealing with the Meltimi. Just check your holding when at anchor because not everywhere good. The Turkish coast toward Gocek and Kekova is also very interesting
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 19:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
IMO, visiting Rhodes is a must do. We went last year for only two nights and will return this year for probably 4. The castle is one of the best I've ever toured.

As for getting into Mandraki, it is best to hire an agent. It cost about 70 euro extra for the agents work over trying to get a slip on your own and was well worth it to know you have a spot. And they do all the paperwork for you. I used Kronos Agency and they did a nice job.
That's intreresting, I've never heard about that. I was there once with Intersailclub
Bobsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
greek islands