Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2015, 13:51   #166

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Greece votes "NO" - impact on cruisers

I have been following the Greece situation since I had planned to sail there but if Greece would go out of the Euro probably I would skip it for Croatia.

With the new developments the ball is entirely on the hands of the Greeks: a deal was offered (much worse than the previous one) on the condition that they made in 3 days some essential reforms (that should already be done long ago). It is going to be ugly on the Greek parliament, Syriza coalition will be divided about it but I believe they would be ironically approved by the opposition and by part of Syriza members on the parliament.

The government will cease to exist like it is with some ministers abandoning Syriza for breaking electoral promises and probably a national salvation government with members of the opposition will follow. It seems good to me regarding stability and even in what regards the best solution for Greece.

Tomorrow I will be there sailing from south of Italy

If things go really wrong, I mean if those 3 measures are rejected by the parliament leading to a no deal and possibly to a Greek default at the end of July (and a Greekexit of the euro) I will sail to Turkey or Croatia because I believe that in that case, for some months, the confusion and social unrest will be big.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2015, 22:19   #167

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
If things go really wrong, I mean if those 3 measures are rejected by the parliament leading to a no deal and possibly to a Greek default at the end of July (and a Greekexit of the euro) I will sail to Turkey or Croatia because I believe that in that case, for some months, the confusion and social unrest will be big.
If you were planning to spend time in Athens, perhaps skipping Greece might be smart, but on the islands you will probably barely notice anything. In 6 years coming here, when they have had troubles in Athens, the only problem I ever encountered on an island was a taxi strike on the day I was flying out.

Sure, buying parts for the boat will be a problem and imported foods will disappear from the shelves, ATM's will be useless and the Taverna's might not be able to offer their full menu, but otherwise we'll be pretty isolated from the troubles (I hope)

Just bring plenty of €€€€ and watch out for pirates
Old 14-07-2015, 23:44   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
If you were planning to spend time in Athens, perhaps skipping Greece might be smart, but on the islands you will probably barely notice anything. In 6 years coming here, when they have had troubles in Athens, the only problem I ever encountered on an island was a taxi strike on the day I was flying out.

Sure, buying parts for the boat will be a problem and imported foods will disappear from the shelves, ATM's will be useless and the Taverna's might not be able to offer their full menu, but otherwise we'll be pretty isolated from the troubles (I hope)

Just bring plenty of €€€€ and watch out for pirates
We've been in the Dodecanese islands for the last month (Pandelli on Leros right now) and the situation is pretty much as you describe Hoppy. No issue with accessing ATM's, Credit cards being accepted, and food and drink still on the shelves. The biggest issue we're facing right now is the bloody Meltemi! I'm sick of it. Great for kiting or windsurfing but a major pita for sitting at anchor on a modern AWB. Thank god for my Chinese made Rocna! Just hope it doesn't bend. :-) Getting a replacement may be a step to far.

Cheers, PT.
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 00:11   #169

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchngo View Post
We've been in the Dodecanese islands for the last month (Pandelli on Leros right now) and the situation is pretty much as you describe Hoppy. No issue with accessing ATM's, Credit cards being accepted, and food and drink still on the shelves. The biggest issue we're facing right now is the bloody Meltemi! I'm sick of it. Great for kiting or windsurfing but a major pita for sitting at anchor on a modern AWB. Thank god for my Chinese made Rocna! Just hope it doesn't bend. :-) Getting a replacement may be a step to far.

Cheers, PT.
Come to the Ionian and then you will miss the meltemi when you want to sail but can only motor (as I'm doing now zzzzzzzz)

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 15-07-2015, 02:51   #170

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

As some one who lived in Greece for past 25 yrs part time and has a house on Naxos and have a lot of good and great Greek friends , but I have no sympathy for Greek situation which has been created by the Greek people and all the previous governments of Greece and Euro MPs , and in the past ten yrs alone Greece has failed to collect 89% of the taxes due , and here is a great example of Greek people not paying taxes I have a friend who runs sun beds on the beach on Naxos he has 90 sun beds ( 90 x 8euros per sun bed a day x 150 days = 108,000 euros net profit and pays no tax and is paid in cash ) and he and the rest cry poor whilst there is a lot of hardship going on, on the main land the island people are doing ok and they are all cashed up .
and even though a bail out deal is sought of agreed upon I don't believe it will last they will not be able to meet there debts and repayments the qataris wanted to buy the old airport for 30 billion but the government wouldn't sell , I honestly can see the Greeks exiting the euro with in 12 months and believe plans are already afoot for this to happen by April 2016
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 04:16   #171

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:

Sure, buying parts for the boat will be a problem and imported foods will disappear from the shelves,
If all this results in the Greeks growing their own tomatoes again in stead of importing them from Holland this will be an improvement.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2015, 05:10   #172
CLOD

Boat: none

if the Greek government would only listen to cruisers they wouldn't have any problems
Old 15-07-2015, 05:29   #173

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
As some one who lived in Greece for past 25 yrs part time and has a house on Naxos and have a lot of good and great Greek friends , but I have no sympathy for Greek situation which has been created by the Greek people and all the previous governments of Greece and Euro MPs , and in the past ten yrs alone Greece has failed to collect 89% of the taxes due , and here is a great example of Greek people not paying taxes I have a friend who runs sun beds on the beach on Naxos he has 90 sun beds ( 90 x 8euros per sun bed a day x 150 days = 108,000 euros net profit and pays no tax and is paid in cash ) and he and the rest cry poor whilst there is a lot of hardship going on, on the main land the island people are doing ok and they are all cashed up .
and even though a bail out deal is sought of agreed upon I don't believe it will last they will not be able to meet there debts and repayments the qataris wanted to buy the old airport for 30 billion but the government wouldn't sell , I honestly can see the Greeks exiting the euro with in 12 months and believe plans are already afoot for this to happen by April 2016
Ummmm you are WAY OUT with the 89% 😉

"The widely misinterpreted figure of 89.5% comes from an OECD report (see table 6.16) which actually relates to historic tax debts - not tax that Greece was due to collect from its citizens in 2010."

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33479946

If Greece was collecting 10.5% of taxes owed, then if they started collecting their taxes fully then they would pay off their debts in one year and be the richest country over the next few year.

Clearly the Washington Post is not very bright, if In 2010 greece only collected 10% which amounted to 70 billion, then they fell short by 630billion. Not likely LOL

Old 19-07-2015, 02:18   #174

Quote:
Come to the Ionian and then you will miss the meltemi when you want to sail but can only motor (as I'm doing now zzzzzzzz)

Plus crowded anchorages. This year it looks even worse than the last time I have been here, 3 years ago. Very hot too. I am in Corfu and heading for the Corinth Gulf for some wind and less crowded waters.
Old 19-07-2015, 02:34   #175

Quote:
Plus crowded anchorages. This year it looks even worse than the last time I have been here, 3 years ago. Very hot too. I am in Corfu and heading for the Corinth Gulf for some wind and less crowded waters.
I just got back to Gouvia Marina last night. The night before I was in Lakka and it was chockers (full) but I was able to drop anchor at the entrance of the bay.

So many yachts just motoring every direction whilst I tried to sail as much as possible but even with my code 1 I had to give up and motor.

My new harken roller is finally in Corfu (I believe) and will spend a couple of days sweating it out in the heat before I go around the Pelopenese to the Cyclades

With the banks supposedly reopening tomorrow I hope things get a little bit back to normal. Hopefully they will ease the controls on the banks to a level something more like Cyprus had. At least there businesses could function and pay for imports.

Old 19-07-2015, 04:36   #176

Quote:
I just got back to Gouvia Marina last night. The night before I was in Lakka and it was chockers (full) but I was able to drop anchor at the entrance of the bay.

So many yachts just motoring every direction whilst I tried to sail as much as possible but even with my code 1 I had to give up and motor.

My new harken roller is finally in Corfu (I believe) and will spend a couple of days sweating it out in the heat before I go around the Pelopenese to the Cyclades

With the banks supposedly reopening tomorrow I hope things get a little bit back to normal. Hopefully they will ease the controls on the banks to a level something more like Cyprus had. At least there businesses could function and pay for imports.

well what a coincidence: I made my way to Gouvia Marina this morning to make the entry papers. If you will still be there at night you are invited for a beer. Don't know exactly when I will be back because my wife wants to go to Corfu (crazy idea with this hot) and probably we will be only coming at the end of the afternoon (8 or 9 pm). The boat name is ALMA, pontoon H4.

No chrisis on the Marina, at 69 euros a night is way more expensive then 3 years ago.
Old 19-07-2015, 06:24   #177

Quote:
well what a coincidence: I made my way to Gouvia Marina this morning to make the entry papers. If you will still be there at night you are invited for a beer. Don't know exactly when I will be back because my wife wants to go to Corfu (crazy idea with this hot) and probably we will be only coming at the end of the afternoon (8 or 9 pm). The boat name is ALMA, pontoon H4.

No chrisis on the Marina, at 69 euros a night is way more expensive then 3 years ago.
Good to know the daily rate. I have in the past paid for two years, then a month ago paid for one more month and that time is up on tuesday or wednesday. I hope my Harken is going to be fitted on Monday so i can leave before I need to pay for extra days.

The town is nice but it's too hot to do anything. Right now I'm sitting in the cabin with a fan 50cm from me. It's 36degrees in her but still better than sitting in the cockpit, even if it is shaded.

I'll pop by in the evening. I'm on M57
Old 19-07-2015, 06:49   #178
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:

I read somewhere that when the banks open ATMs would only allow 60 euros to be withdrawn for locals..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2015, 07:13   #179

The ATMs are already 60 euro per day for locals, but there was talk that they will allow you to accumulate the money you don't withdrawal and take it out later, so they can make 1 withdrawal a week of 420 euro. But that is not an issue for foreign cardholders 😃

Old 20-07-2015, 02:17   #180

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 50

Quote:
I have been following the Greece situation since I had planned to sail there but if Greece would go out of the Euro probably I would skip it for Croatia.

With the new developments the ball is entirely on the hands of the Greeks: a deal was offered (much worse than the previous one) on the condition that they made in 3 days some essential reforms (that should already be done long ago). It is going to be ugly on the Greek parliament, Syriza coalition will be divided about it but I believe they would be ironically approved by the opposition and by part of Syriza members on the parliament.

The government will cease to exist like it is with some ministers abandoning Syriza for breaking electoral promises and probably a national salvation government with members of the opposition will follow. It seems good to me regarding stability and even in what regards the best solution for Greece.

Tomorrow I will be there sailing from south of Italy

Just a quick one. What is the latest clearing in procedure at Corfu. We are non EU boat Non EU crew arriving from Albania? Do you still need to visit Port Police?
lordgeoff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Greece, cruiser, cruise