Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2012, 11:51   #31
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor

Has the Eu grown so modern that you can't find some nice small pension, slip the owners a couple of bills, and say "Hold my mail please? I'll be on a boat and not using my room" and have them provide an address for you?
If you arrive and depart by private yacht. You are unlikely to run into problems with overstays under the visa. Officials rarely bother to add up the days. The computer systems aren't all linked up between Schengen areas ( only for watch lists )

The problem comes with airports where there is far more scrutiny its here that you can be caught. Some countries are a bit more lenient , especially if your white and middle aged and look to have means.

The 90 day visa wavier was a direct response to the uS wavier program. So get your congressman to let Europeans in for longer and the Eu will have to reciprocate.

There is no doubt given the Meds popularity as a sailing ground that there is a need for a Schengen B1 visa equivalent.
I must write my MEP. ( he happens to be a sailor )

Dave .
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54   #32

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: 8 Years in the Med??

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Be careful here if you are travelling on an Eu passport you better be able to substantiate the Non tax residency. Also if you work in the EU and are paying income tax you are a tax resident even if under 180 days. Hence the boat must be VATed in ( or you use transfer of residence )

Dave
You are correct, we are retired hence not an issue, Cheers.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:54   #33

Boat: Caliber 40

I'll try to get my friends in the Med to join us here.

I know they spent more than two years in Spain, France, Italy with no problem. They lived on their boat in a Spanish Marina near Barcelona for well over a year. They then spent the next winter in SW Italy. As far as I know they did not leave the Spain/France/Italy region during that 2+ year period.

They've now been in Italy/Sicily for over 18 months.

Both are US citizens.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:55   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
My understanding is that England and Ireland are not Schengen countries so you can stay there. If you stay in Italy you can sail across the Adriatic to many of the Non-Schengen countries as well.
Absolutely correct!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:56   #35
Nearly an old salt

The UK and Ireland will give you up to 6 months. Though lately they have been giving out 90 days unless there's a reason
Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 11:58   #36
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor
I'll try to get my friends in the Med to join us here.

I know they spent more than two years in Spain, France, Italy with no problem. They lived on their boat in a Spanish Marina near Barcelona for well over a year. They then spent the next winter in SW Italy. As far as I know they did not leave the Spain/France/Italy region during that 2+ year period.

They've now been in Italy/Sicily for over 18 months.

Both are US citizens.
Without any other information. They broke the law , in fact they broke several laws.

It's a fact that you " may" escape detection then again you may not.

Dave
Old 11-12-2012, 12:09   #37

British passport in Europe as far as i know gives unlimited.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:33   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: WSJ article on cruising into retirement

I'll merge the threads; I was not aware the other thread related to this.
Old 11-12-2012, 13:53   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
There is no doubt given the Meds popularity as a sailing ground that there is a need for a Schengen B1 visa equivalent.
I must write my MEP. ( he happens to be a sailor )

Dave .
I think that's a wonderful idea. Do this and when I show up on your side of the pond I'm buying and not just the first round.

If you're tired of that tepid, flat, English beer I'll bring you some of the cold, fizzy, watery, American stuff.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:00   #40

What if your job transferred you over there for work, wouldn't that visa allow you to stay in the countries around the Med longer?

The next question is how big does the company need to be and how much does that visa cost?

Seriously, Europeans should be begging people who have enough money to travel in Europe for 2-3 years at a time to come over and live there.

Or at least let cruising in Greece count toward the 90 days. You can spend 45 days in the US over Thnaksgiving-January3rd, the next 45 days cruising Greece & Turkey. They could use the tourist dollars.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:02   #41

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
What if your job transferred you over there for work, wouldn't that visa allow you to stay in the countries around the Med longer?

The next question is how big does the company need to be and how much does that visa cost?

Seriously, Europeans should be begging people who have enough money to travel in Europe for 2-3 years at a time to come over and live there.

Or at least let cruising in Greece count toward the 90 days. You can spend 45 days in the US over Thnaksgiving-January3rd, the next 45 days cruising Greece & Turkey. They could use the tourist dollars.
You're talking about a work visa and that's a whole different animal in most countries.
Old 11-12-2012, 18:19   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
For Americans the maximum stay in the Schengen countries is 90 days within 6 months. Countries like Turkey, Cyprus, Tunisia, Albania, Morroco etc. are not Schengen countries and have their own visa regulations. It needs some planning, but full-time cruising in the Med should be possible, but I would not like to be there during winter.
The boat can be kept in the EU countries, such as Spain, France, Italy, Greece, for 18 months without paying VAT. If it is not in use, e.g. on the hard, and evidence can be provided, this period can be extended by additional 6 months.
The duration how long the crew and the boat are staying are two totally different issues. Check out noonsite for detailed information.
Cheers
Thomas
Noonsite is the source to check. Countries — Noonsite I believe you only need remove the vessel from the EU for a very short time. Document this and you get another 18 months. It will be very inconvenient if Turkey joins the EU.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:43   #43

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I believe you only need remove the vessel from the EU for a very short time. Document this and you get another 18 months. It will be very inconvenient if Turkey joins the EU.
Confirmed: you just sail for e.g. from Greece to Turkey or from Italy to Tunisia, clear in/out at your destination and sail back. The 18 months clock starts again at 0. There is no minimum duration required to stay outside the EU.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 18:46   #44

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
You're talking about a work visa and that's a whole different animal in most countries.
And with a work visa you will most likely become a resident and VAT will be due on your boat, if in EU waters.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:08   #45
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post

why , the EU is the biggest ecomony in the world ( based on 2011 figures) you think it cares about what a few long stay sailor spend. ( I dont see the US doing the same either), really smell the coffee

Listen heres the grubby reality

If you get entrance and exit Schengen stamps ( thats the visa for visa wavier countries) you need to ensure that each countries entrance and exit stamps never exceed 90 days.

ie, sail into greece get an entrance visa stamp , then leave greece get a exit stamp ( tell them your leaving the EU). if you then arrive say in Italy, get an entrance stamp, then ensure you leave italy within 90 days, technically you've overstayed your Schengen time, but in practice the official just looks for His countries entrance stamp and stamps you out. In fact some immigration officiers dont undertand the whole Schengen thing at all and just follow the "old" rules. Thats how most Americans are getting away with it.

For people with actual Schengen visas, ( rather then wavier schemes ) I would not suggest you do this.

IN time the integration of the Schengen computer systems will counter this system , but thats in time

PS: you may of course meet a particularly officious officer and then as they say "your mileage may vary".

Dave

Tags
cruising, retirement