Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2012, 01:32   #1

Boat: sold monohul
Cruising turkey

Greetings to all. We have been sailing in Greece the last couple of years, Cyclades and Ionians and think we should ow explore turkey summer 2013. Any advice on whether it's best to leave from maramis or bodrum. Only have a couple of weeks, love swimming, exploring and a mix of short and longer sailing.
Old 17-09-2012, 00:43   #2

Boat: Selene 59
Re: Cruising turkey

Hi Twosail,

It's a matter of choice realy. Bodrum area is windier, Marmaris area is hotter. From our experience, Bodrum marina was far more expensive. Marmaris has a few marina options.

Gulf's of Gokova, Hisaronu & Yesilova will provide everything you want for a sailing holiday and not that far from either Bodrum or Marmaris.

Watch the time of year though, unless you like it very hot, SW Turkey is very hot July & August, great water temperature for swimming though.
Buena Vista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 03:26   #3

Boat: homemade, 27

hi my friends,
check in is very easy at d marin, turgutreis marina at bodrum. gökova gulf is very famous as a blue voyage route. I prefer this route, there are a lot of bays covered palm forests. 40 nm from bodrum to east. then you can spend a week here then turn back to knidos, the datça peninsula's corner, you can sail to marmaris for one week too. 15 days you can make this route. for a comfortable route you can discover gulf of gökova this year then next summer you may go to the marmaris and further.
have a nice sailing trip in turkey.
alp.
alpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2012, 10:00   #4

Boat: sold monohul
Thanks for you help. Any advice on charter companies?
Old 24-09-2012, 09:28   #5

I went with Portway, from Gocek, no complaints, the boats are sometimes a bit older, but that means they are also a bit cheaper :-)
vjmehra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2012, 09:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Try a little company called Aura Yachting. They are (or were) based in Yalikavik, just across the peninsula from Bodrum. Great people and they had some unusually well kept boats -- best charter experience I ever had, but caveat it was years ago.

Have fun -- Turkey is fantastic. You can't go wrong either out of Bodrum or Marmaris -- all kinds of fabulous places. My favorite of all is Knidos, on the Datscha Peninsula.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2012, 05:15   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosail View Post
Thanks for you help. Any advice on charter companies?
try these guys;

Yacht Charter Turkey | Sailing Holidays, Bareboat & Skippered Charter

Based in Marmaris. Have had my boat in charter with them for the last 3 years. We're taking the boat back at the end of this season, so will not be affiliated with them next year, but can say that they do look after the boats in their care.

Cheers, PT

PS. They can organize your checkout in Marmaris, so if you were still keen to do both Turkey & Greece, you could sail for Symi, then up the Dodecanese and back into Turkey at Bodrum and downhill back to Marmaris. If you use Sky Marine in Bodrum you'll be free to check out the Castle etc....
touchngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 11:43   #8

Thumbs up Re: Cruising turkey

I had a good experience with Yildiz Yachting out of Bodrum for a bareboat charter in September. Excellent maintenance -- "Blue Sky" was in perfect condition and they were very serious about check-in procedures to hear about our experience and anything that might need their attention. The staff were helpful and very friendly.

Welkom bij YILDIZ Yachting voor zeilen in Turkije . Zeilen kan met een zeilboot (bareboat), catamaran, meevaren in een flottielje of meevaren met een schipper. YILDIZ Yachting, het charter bedrijf voor een fantastische zeilvakantie.
The Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2012, 16:06   #9

Boat: Elan Impression 434

Hi twosail, please look my web site: www.sypetunia.com

You will find more knowledge for Turkish coast bay-port and route.

it is nice in from May to September. July&August there are many many people. I advice you September. Water is hot and wind is suitable still. Have nice sailing.
Lucky Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 05:25   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twosail View Post
Greetings to all. We have been sailing in Greece the last couple of years, Cyclades and Ionians and think we should ow explore turkey summer 2013. Any advice on whether it's best to leave from maramis or bodrum. Only have a couple of weeks, love swimming, exploring and a mix of short and longer sailing.
See Carian Coast; Bodrum Peninsula to Marmaris Bay | JimB Sail for a description of the coast between Bodrum and Marmaris, which is a good, fairily windy but flat water cruising area. The top left menu will lead you to neighbouring areas, but these gulfs will keep you busy for two weeks!
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2012, 23:07   #11

Boat: Bowman 40
Send a message via Skype™ to steve.garlick

If you want the best maintained yachts with individualized service, try 'Perfect Sailing' out of Orhaniye. Very close to Marmaris, but just a beautiful cruising location. (Disclaimer, the owners are personal friends, but that's how I know how the business runs!)

Yildiz yachting out of Bodrum are also great. Try a one-way charter, Bodrum to Fethiye.
steve.garlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 01:27   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

I have been there on ships but never on a sailboat so I can't offer any knowledgeable comments on yacht facilities, but you will love Istanbul. You can easily spend two days just exploring the Grand Bazaar and another day for the Spice Bazaar. I like smoking a narghile (Turkish hookah) and drinking apple tea in the cafes under the Galata bridge, and watching the sun set over the mosques across the Golden Horn. People are pretty nice and very open and friendly to foreigners. Lots of historic places to see. Hotel and meal prices and quality are pretty decent.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:14   #13

We have wintered our boat in Bodrum for 4 years now and find that it is a really convenient base.
I can't help you with charter recommendations,but would agree with the comments above.
Two weeks is not a lot of time to explore this area well,so if I may, I would suggest a trip from Bodrum.
The Gulf of Gokova is quite a long "in and out" and apart from Sogut there isn't really a lot to see,so head straight south to Knidos..a must see ancient site,then along via Palamut to Datca..a really pleasant coastal town with good ffacilities (not a marina) .
Carry on down the gulf to Selimye an Oranihye (apologies for spelling ) and then round to Bozborun and Sogut (different Sogut) both well worth a visit.
From here it is very easy to sneak over to Simi (greek) island ..anchor off in Pedi bay and take the bus over to the town.You won't need to bother about checking in etc.
You could easily spend two weeks in this area without too many long days.
I would agree that if possible avoid July and August...it can get very hot and uncomfortable.
fishtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:39   #14

Boat: Comet 41s

Hi all,

I am thinking of going there next summer but with my own sailboat. I had read some strange stories about grey and black waters requirements.

Can someone clarify this subject. I have a black water tank but no way of emptying it on a marina trough an aspirator.

I can only discharge it away from the shore. Is this a problem?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:43   #15

Istanbul is #1 on my list of cities haven't yet seen but want to see. I've read a lot of the medieval history of it around the 14th century, and love that it is in the only city in the world that sits on two continents. Just love that idea.

I'm going to try to crew my way there.
tmeeks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, Turkey