Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > COVID-19 | Containment Area
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2021, 19:40   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds like you have to have your vaccine( no problem).

This could dramatically impact my summer….
Old 14-05-2021, 19:48   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
Does anyone know anything about this? It sounds like you have to have your vaccine( no problem).

This could dramatically impact my summer….
News to me. If you post the source of the information, maybe we can better assess its credibility.

There is much aspiration, and a lot of speculation, but no firm date as far as I know.
Old 14-05-2021, 20:16   #3

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

My summer plans would be greatly affected, so I’d welcome this news, but two reports today don’t have any dates.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-canada-border

https://www.citynews1130.com/2021/05...ing-us-border/
Old 14-05-2021, 20:36   #4
mcm

I very much doubt it, BC health Minister indicated it may be the end of June to ease more restrictions, also, Ontario is in a mess, no way will open a border there at into very late fall. The US border States here in the PNW would not be pleased if we here opened up , anyway it's all in the Fed's hands so all bets off..
Old 14-05-2021, 20:44   #5

Boat: Beneteau/343

I live in Oregon so BC is my goal for the summer. I really want to go to The Broughtons.
Old 15-05-2021, 03:35   #6

Two days ago our Ontario Premier, Doug Ford, announced that rather than ease
restrictions on May 20th as originally projected, they would be extended until June 2nd.

Ontario to keep stay-at-home order until at least June 2, Ford says
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...urns-1.6024839

During his address, he also laid into the Prime Minister and the current government publicly exhorting that they ought to increase Canada-US border restrictions...

That part was pretty awful to listen to, as it means that the two levels of government have begun public mud-slinging, which is never good.

LittleWing77
Old 15-05-2021, 04:13   #7

Just announced on CBC News that Premier Ian Rankin has extended the Nova Scotia restrictions until May 30th at least.

Nova Scotia Alerts
https://novascotia.ca/coronavirus/alerts-notices/

For any Canadians reading, the Premier will be interviewed on The House this morning on CBC Radio One (May 15th, 2021).
Old 15-05-2021, 05:27   #8

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
During his address, he also laid into the Prime Minister and the current government publicly exhorting that they ought to increase Canada-US border restrictions...

That part was pretty awful to listen to, as it means that the two levels of government have begun public mud-slinging, which is never good.
Indeed... although you can look at the bright side of this. It signals a return to normalcy in Canadian federal/provincial politics.

The congenial, cooperative attitude has been impressively unusual these past year or so. But now both governments are entering their final months before an election. So normal blame-game politics are reemerging.
Old 15-05-2021, 05:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
...Although you can look at the bright side of this: It signals a return to normalcy in Canadian federal/provincial politics.

The congenial, cooperative attitude has been impressively unusual these past year or so. But now both governments are entering their final months before an election. So normal blame-game politics are reemerging.
SO cynical, Mr. O'Reilly!
Old 15-05-2021, 05:53   #10

Boat: Hunter 340

I would say there is no chance of opening the border before July. Right now, Canada stands 31st in the world for fully vaccinated persons as the the supply of vaccines in Canada is far too low.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:13   #11

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgallinger View Post
I would say there is no chance of opening the border before July. Right now, Canada stands 31st in the world for fully vaccinated persons as the the supply of vaccines in Canada is far too low.
Compared to USA and UK, yes (though USA seems to be slowing while Canada catches up).

But not so terrible as your post suggests.

As of May 14, Canada's vaccination progress is ahead of these European countries:

Germany (tied)
Spain
Denmark
Austria
Belgium
Italy
Estonia
Luxembourg
Finland
Portugal
Sweden
Liechtenstein
France
Poland
Andorra
Switzerland
Greece
Netherlands
Slovenia
Norway
Ireland
Czech
Slovakia

Source: https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021...-vaccinations/
Old 15-05-2021, 08:34   #12

Boat: Sea Sport Voyager 30'

If you “heard” something, please provide a source, rather that just throwing out speculation. It’s not helpful at all. Thanks.
Old 15-05-2021, 08:38   #13

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWilly View Post
If you “heard” something, please provide a source, rather that just throwing out speculation. It’s not helpful at all. Thanks.
I think what they "heard" was a report the USA and Canadian officials were beginning talks about the eventual reopening of the border. Of note, no higher-level individuals (e.g., a government minister) were involved.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...tart-1.6027705
Old 15-05-2021, 08:45   #14

There was a "report" similar to this one just last month, from a boater in northern Washington State, who said something akin to: "There are a bunch of motorboats who have just arrived in my harbor who told me they "got an email" saying the border was going to open on April 21st, so they all hightailed it up here so they could cross the border."

There has been no report of whether or not those dudes are still there or not.

The lack of critical thinking that goes into proposing something like this is astounding.

Quote:
I heard there was an announcement about opening the US/Canada border on June 30

The fact that we and other boating forums get these and similar ones like, "Does anybody know when the border is going to open?" is a frightening display of ignorance on a grand scale.

There are an incredible number of trusted news agencies that have been reporting one simple fact: When the border is going to open is between the governments of the United States and Canada.

I'm sure they will let us know when they decide.

Until then, the rampant speculation makes no sense, and borders (pun intended!!!) on actual nonsense.

I got an email saying there's life on Mars. Anybody wanna confirm that?

I am aware of the importance of a potential opening to many of our brethren, whose lives are tied to their boats which in many cases are their homes, and they have been parted for altogether too long. Of course they care, and we who would like to cross the border merely for recreation are interested in this, too.

But until the governments decide, it is useless to speculate.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Old 15-05-2021, 08:47   #15

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

This was on CBC yesterday;
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/can...tart-1.6027705
But I agree with others that the politics are all wrong for anything to happen soon. BC is still under internal travel restrictions for at least another two weeks. There have been calls to restrict travel from Alberta and other Prairie provinces because of the very high infection rates there. Ontario's Doug Ford wants increased border restrictions. Atlantic provinces are restricting travel from other provinces. BC's public health officer is suggesting that we may be able to meet outside in small groups if the covid numbers continue to decrease but that currently they are still too high. Under those circumstances, I think a full border opening for the summer is very unlikely.

Tags
Canada, men