Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2013, 05:41   #121

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
He let her run on, speaking to her in English until she was done, and then in Spanish said to her, "You sound like you would be a fun date. Could I get your number?"
As a gringo who speaks Spanish (and understands Belizean Kriol), Ive had similar experiences...the "deer in the headlights look is priceless" !
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 05:59   #122
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: How to not look like a Gringo.

gringos who speak spanish are special.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 05:06   #123

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Ah...back in full gringo attire today...what a relief after a few days in long pants and real shoes!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:21   #124

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How to not look like a Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Ah...back in full gringo attire today...what a relief after a few days in long pants and real shoes!

Me too. Plus I was up most of the night making sure my toenails would pass ArtM's inspection. After washing and trimming for the first time in several months, I was muy consado but continued on to the buffing and polishing as we all do.

Without the real tools or supplies, I had to make it up as I went. I tried Captain's Varnish last and it proved satisfactory. Epifanes was too dark for a proper toenail. West Sys with 206 fast was a little on the light side but worse, with no UV protection, it burned right back off. The ordeal was a real waste of time because I spray everything, and masking toenails was very time-intensive.

Then, I almost spilled my beer when stepping out of the Captain's gig and down into a foot of stinky squishing mud. Now I've got one perfectly groomed foot, and one muddy, stinky one.

What's a Gringo to do?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:33   #125

Boat: Able 50

Wear white sneakers next time.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:44   #126

crabby, sweets, you know you should only use sea water and oil on your toesies...especially good when wearing dink as a hat in muddy sand...takes a week to unbed the sand from the toenails...good gringos must have sand in toes when walking on the roads here...

mebbe i will stay on boat another day to rest up for muling 2 months worth of cat litter to the boat.....

is such a tough life---but , ye know, someone has to do it...might as well be me.....
Old 20-04-2013, 06:47   #127

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Then, I almost spilled my beer when stepping out of the Captain's gig and down into a foot of stinky squishing mud. Now I've got one perfectly groomed foot, and one muddy, stinky one.

What's a Gringo to do?
Don't delay completing your beauty routine. You don't want just one radiantly soft, youthful foot do you?

While you are at it, mud is apparently useful on other parts of your anatomy, so don't just stop with your feet:

"Mud reduces cellulite and sagging. The mud tones muscles by the contribution of magnesium, essential for the contraction of the muscles of the body. Several of the minerals contained in the mud are essential for ATP, a compound of phosphorus that feeds power to the muscles and every cell. This works well on parts of your body like the buttocks, particularly when combined with invigorating massages and some kind of exercise."

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 06:56   #128

aaaaaaaaaahh, lass, thankyou for letting us know why we look so damnyoung despite rowing to surf beaches and wearing dinghies as hats while rolling in ooky mud....LOL.
.i knew it was something related to sailing, in a weak and strange way....
isnt the sailing, it is the mud baths.....hhmmmm....
Old 20-04-2013, 08:12   #129

[QUOTE=zeehag;1215262]crabby, sweets, you know you should only use sea water and oil on your toesies

What weight oil do you use Zee?

mebbe i will stay on boat another day to rest up for muling 2 months worth of cat litter to the boat.....

I couldn't stand the waste of good cat litter on just a damn cat! Now I use my own composted poo for kitty litter. The cat won't cover it up now, tho, so I have follow behind the cat and cover fresh the cat poo. Funny, my own poo has a spring lilac-ly aroma and the cat must think it similar to cat nip. Here's a pic of genuine composted Blue Crab poo.

I know it looks a little like marijuana and does roll up well but you can't catch a buzz. I've tried.

Here's what I use for the awful cellulite and sagging mentioned by rail thin Seaworthy Lass:

No, it doesn't work but you feel better having tried something other than diet and exercise.
Old 20-04-2013, 09:16   #130

Boat: Seafarer36c

This thread has drifted. Although some of the ideas have merit on how not to look like a gringo, for the most part they are just not realistic. Most of the shorts I own I bought in cheap department stores in Mexico and Panama. I was hardly the only person buying shorts. You don't find fishermen dressed up in slacks and nice sweaters. Most everyone you meet is dark skinned and you are not and then there is the language.. Oh well everyone seems nice and it could be worse.
Everybody I know takes checking in seriously and looks as well as possible wearing regular tropical boating stuff. I try and not pay attention to toe nails.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 10:37   #131

there is a good mix here of folks wearing casual beach and casual city clothing, so as many guys here wear shorts as big boy pants.

seems to be the attitude here that folks judge, not the clothing worn.

orange oil works well, my crabby friend..lol...
Old 20-04-2013, 11:56   #132

Follow Mom's Advice

Quote:
Blue Crab, you're current situation doesn't pose the problem you might think. Just remember to put your best foot forward and you'll be fine.
Old 20-04-2013, 13:09   #133
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Yeah, seeing how easy I can spot foreigners here, or fellow Americans in other countries, I'm not sure there is an easy way to do that.
Never been to Central / South America - but spent a lot of time in SEA, including glued to a bar stool watching folks wander by. After a while can get fairly accurate at identifying different nationalities (by dress and mannerisms / how they carry themselves / how they interact with folks - and don't!) - including the white ones! Part of the learning curve fun was betting with the staff (who have a good eye for these things - nationalities affect pricing! and not for the beer ).........always exceptions, but lots of stereotypes are true .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2013, 13:26   #134

people are so much fun to watch, arent they
Old 20-04-2013, 14:14   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This thread has drifted. Although some of the ideas have merit on how not to look like a gringo, for the most part they are just not realistic. Most of the shorts I own I bought in cheap department stores in Mexico and Panama. I was hardly the only person buying shorts. You don't find fishermen dressed up in slacks and nice sweaters. Most everyone you meet is dark skinned and you are not and then there is the language.. Oh well everyone seems nice and it could be worse.
Everybody I know takes checking in seriously and looks as well as possible wearing regular tropical boating stuff. I try and not pay attention to toe nails.
Nobody hates a thread drift more than I, mate. Popular-spot citizenry recognize tourists' comings and goings. We might think of ourselves in more romantic terms but I think the locals consider us tourists. Anyway, I've some time in Mexico. In fact the first ten women I wanted to BFF were young stylish women, working mothers mostly, in Tijuana. Point is: wear what you always wear. The locals expect us to be unfamiliar with everything and dress goofy. I don't think big boy pants will help.