Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Other
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2013, 04:32   #226

Re: How To Not Look Like A Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Sorry, I've read this three times now, and still don't get it. Disregarding the Native Americans, everything was brought to the US by early settlers. Of course, these days we call them, U.S. Citizens.

A "More modern European invention" is a lovely thought, one we all look forward to.
Dang, dude. Your comments give me hope for the Barbarians.

(I'm from your more conservative cousin to the north, SLO)
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 04:51   #227
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
Easy peasy. It was Morocco. Look to the history of the Barbary pirates for the rest.
On November 16, 1776, the cannons at Fort Oranje in Sint Eustatius (Netherlands Antilles) fired the first official salute, by a foreign nation, to the American colours (flown by the USS "Andria Doria").
At the time, Americans interpreted this official salute, by the Dutch, to their brand new flag, as the first de facto recognition of their independence.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 04:55   #228
cruiser

Quote:
Easy peasy. It was Morocco. Look to the history of the Barbary pirates for the rest.

Prior to Morocco, the Nation-State of Dubrovnik officially recognized the United States in 1776, and was the first to send merchant marine vessels into New York Harbour. Therefore it was the first nation that recognized USA!
transformer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:10   #229
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
Now just hold on one damn minute there, Mister Lord Fauntleroy! I may pick my nose and I may eat my boogers, but I eat my boogers with a knife and fork while seated at a table. I cut my boogers into a few small slices, set my knife down gently on the plate, and then transfer my fork from my left hand to my right. Do you take the time to do that? No, I doubt very much you do. And I chew with my mouth closed, thank you very much. And yes, before you ask, I wash my hands before I pick my nose!

I got yer "No Class" right eeeeerrr.
So I guess that is where US fast "food" originated from .

On the topic of cutlery - may I give an honorable mention to the spoon!, not only is it the finest implement developed for eating soup it is also the international symbol of Atheism ........as adopted at the first Council of Atheism in the year Zero (1 week before the birth of Cheeses) and since encoded within the Protocols of the Elders of Atheism as followed by the World Atheist Council. Sources will be on the internet in due course .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:19   #230

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Us State Department, office of the Historian, notes that France was the first

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 05:27   #231

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How To Not Look Like A Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
On the topic of cutlery - may I give an honorable mention to the spoon!, not only is it the finest implement developed for eating soup it is also the international symbol of Atheism ........as adopted at the first Council of Atheism in the year Zero (1 week before the birth of Cheeses) and since encoded within the Protocols of the Elders of Atheism as followed by the World Atheist Council. Sources will be on the internet in due course .
With all the "holly cows" on another continent, DOJ is obviously referring to the birth of goat cheeses. David and a goat reference: Coincidence? I think not.

Lest it be overlooked, I think it's likely that AMERICANS invented the spork.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 07:29   #232
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Us State Department, office of the Historian, notes that France was the first
Indeed.

... The Declaration’s most important diplomatic effect was to allow for recognition of the United States by friendly foreign governments. The Sultan of Morocco mentioned American ships in a consular document in 1777, but Congress had to wait until the 1778 Treaty of Alliance with France for a formal recognition of U.S. independence. The Netherlands acknowledged U.S. independence in 1782. Although Spain joined the war against Great Britain in 1779, it did not recognize U.S. independence until the 1783 Treaty of Paris. Under the terms of the treaty, which ended the War of the American Revolution, Great Britain officially acknowledged the United States as a sovereign and independent nation ...”

Office of the Historian - Milestones - 1776-1783 - The Declaration of Independence

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2013, 12:28   #233

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Having noted this, we should be aware that many other sources beg to differ. Indeed, Hilary Clinton, in a speech in Morocco, noted that Morocco had recognized the US first (considering she was Sec of State, you'd think she got her facts from the office of the historian).

Wiki - the all knowledgeable lists Morocco, Netherlands and Dubrovnik (it was know under a different name back then) as first. It all depends on what you consider "recognize" to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.

... The Declaration’s most important diplomatic effect was to allow for recognition of the United States by friendly foreign governments. The Sultan of Morocco mentioned American ships in a consular document in 1777, but Congress had to wait until the 1778 Treaty of Alliance with France for a formal recognition of U.S. independence. The Netherlands acknowledged U.S. independence in 1782. Although Spain joined the war against Great Britain in 1779, it did not recognize U.S. independence until the 1783 Treaty of Paris. Under the terms of the treaty, which ended the War of the American Revolution, Great Britain officially acknowledged the United States as a sovereign and independent nation ...”

Office of the Historian - Milestones - 1776-1783 - The Declaration of Independence

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 30-04-2013, 12:31   #234

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Dang, dude. Your comments give me hope for the Barbarians.

(I'm from your more conservative cousin to the north, SLO)
Richard, the story about switching the fork to the other hand I've heard (I am a repository of utterly useless information - just ask my wife or daugthers), is that when you switched the fork to your right hand, you have put down your knife and are now signalling your peaceful intentions. No knife - you can't stab the host

Or hostess, if teh food is lousy

Old 30-04-2013, 19:09   #235

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: How To Not Look Like A Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Richard, the story about switching the fork to the other hand I've heard (I am a repository of utterly useless information - just ask my wife or daugthers), is that when you switched the fork to your right hand, you have put down your knife and are now signalling your peaceful intentions. No knife - you can't stab the host

Or hostess, if teh food is lousy
Not in my orphanage, Sir. You ne' drop the knife Captain. Yer may need it to pin a roaming hand square to the table. It's a hardknock life.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote