Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2013, 06:41   #181
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: How to not look like a Gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
The shirt this guy is wearing, but the shirt is just part of the package...
I think this guy is wearing a tank-top,real "beatters" have no fabric under the arms and the neckline is more of a vee and always white(except for the sweat stains)...This according to the "Fashion Police"
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 06:52   #182
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
Can anybody translate the word "gringo"?
I can tell you what the opposite of Gringo is .."Beaner" or "Freholaro" It is a word that can get a fight started in Mexico or Texas right fast..Never seen an American get as upset about "Gringo" as a Mexican will get about "Freholero" What do you know "Soy to meistro"!...If you dont want to look like a gringo ,look like a Ranchero, wear a pair of cowboy boots(boatas sp?)(must be made in Durango) and a "Centrol"(sp?)(belt)w/a silver buckle and a nice white cowboy hat w/ an oxford, they wont look twice at you..
Old 25-04-2013, 06:55   #183
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: How To Not Look Like A Gringo.

One thing only touched upon is the matter of "class". Obviously Americans don't have any but much of the rest of the world does .

As a Westerner in a 3rd World country will be regarded as Middle Class by default, at least - and by that I don't mean the US definition of "working poor" (an old capitalist trick - instead of money give 'em a nicer job title )....well, will be until you prove otherwise (by dress, manner, actions and speech) - some may take a while to acheive that, others within seconds ..................Peasants act as peasants and are expected not to know any better - and everyone is comfortable with that. But folks get confused when someone they think should have a higher class acts like a peasant .

Exception being those regarded as eccentrics. or mad (in a nice way ) - which allows them to step outside the rule book whilst still keeping the locals happy. A bit of self awareness and a willingness to laugh at self helps. and a bit of age no bad thing either. No names .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 07:07   #184
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
..................Peasants act as peasants and are expected not to know any better - and everyone is comfortable with that. But folks get confused when someone they think should have a higher class acts like a peasant ....
Love all this WASPish advice David.:

Is it peasants or pheasants you’re not allowed to pick up if you run them over?...
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 07:45   #185
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

daaaahhhlinggkkk david.....some of us have ditched the false pretenses brought into life by those who believe they are above others---like my late grandmother--sorry, grandma, rip!....but she believed whole heartedly in the hierarchical bs that was brought thru by our ancesters and their social status and power. some of us were actually raised right, doj....LOL>...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 08:01   #186

when in latin cultures I am never so happy to have lots of melanin in my skin. I tan like a roasted nut. When in Miami all the store clerks approach and start speaking spanish until I tell them I'm english speaking. Not being light skinned has apparently kept me from being singled out. I also seem to get great respect from the local men for having a fair skinned blond wife!

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 08:47   #187
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Love all this WASPish advice David.:

Is it peasants or pheasants you’re not allowed to pick up if you run them over?...
WASPish? 1 out of 4, but I can't change that one . In any event the WASP thing is only a US creation that doesn't travel well - I think the nearest comparative over here is the term Nouveau Riche or Made in Essex . Simply because grandad made the family money / bought the furniture (or castle!) does not automatically change that..........

Whether one agrees with the class thing or not - IMO just something that should be borne in mind when travelling away from own classless society (in the UK we have that as well as the class system - the main members are called Chavs ) Whether "you" then decide to go with the (local) flow or re-educate the masses is a personal choice. Not being aware of is called ignorance. Pretending does not exist is called pig ignorance. Personally I favour the "when in Rome" approach........and call it having good manners .
Old 25-04-2013, 08:49   #188
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
daaaahhhlinggkkk david.....some of us have ditched the false pretenses brought into life by those who believe they are above others---like my late grandmother--sorry, grandma, rip!....but she believed whole heartedly in the hierarchical bs that was brought thru by our ancesters and their social status and power. some of us were actually raised right, doj....LOL>...
Methinks in my original post I identified the category into which you (don't) fit . Not fitting into any category is also a fit - but not everyone can pull that off. Takes some style - and dare I say it?, even some class .
Old 25-04-2013, 11:25   #189

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
... I also seem to get great respect from the local men for having a fair skinned blond wife!
Always want what you dont have...we gringos want hot latinas and the latinos want hot gringas.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 11:27   #190

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate We do dress funny but who else ya gonna call?

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 11:36   #191

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Also today I was reminded of how to look like a gringo in a way totally opposite the typical cruising gringo. In Belize I often chuckle at the gringos coming down to go fly fishing. They look like an ad for a sporting goods store...decked out in all the apparently essential styles and gadgets for fishing...all quite obviously brand new too.

They stumble down the dock all decked out, carrying their $1,000 fly rigs, to their $500 a day guide boat...sometimes they even catch a fish or two. Meanwhile the old Creole guy, they didnt even acknowledge, is sitting on the dock realing in one fish after another with a hand line wrapped around a old stick.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 11:57   #192
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
when in latin cultures I am never so happy to have lots of melanin in my skin. I tan like a roasted nut. When in Miami all the store clerks approach and start speaking spanish until I tell them I'm english speaking. Not being light skinned has apparently kept me from being singled out. I also seem to get great respect from the local men for having a fair skinned blond wife!
Me too ,Blue eyed girlfriend and all..Makes getting around alot easier..
Old 25-04-2013, 12:38   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
"Estadounidenses" I find does not roll off the native English speaking tongue so well -- at least not mine. "Norte Americano" is a little easier but could also be Canadian. ...
Well..... North America is more than just the US and Canada: it's everything north of the Panama isthmus. Which of course includes Mexico.

which means, incidentally, that talking about the "United States of America" is not very specific.

The US is not the only "United States" in America: it's not even the only "United States" of North America, given that the official title of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 12:42   #194
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
Well..... North America is more than just the US and Canada: it's everything north of the Panama isthmus. Which of course includes, but is not limited to, Mexico.

which means, incidentally, that talking about the "United States of America" is not very specific.

The US is not the only "United States" in America: it's not even the only "United States" of North America, given that the official title of Mexico is Estados Unidos Mexicanos
So should we call the USA "South Canada" or "North Mexico"??
Old 25-04-2013, 12:49   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
So should we call the USA "South Canada" or "North Mexico"??
I think to give due deference it should be "The Northernmost United States of North America"
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply With Quote