Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 11:51   #1

Boat: Currently Boatless!
Ocean pedigree 40'-47' sailboat.

Hi all,

I have looked at every boat-selling site and trawled the net and forums for what seems like years. I have put offers on two boats only to be gazumped!! I have asked the questions that I think I needed to ask so feel fairly comfortable and confident with what I want (or as near to it as possible). My boat has sold and I am desperate to get going in the next!

I realise the 'perfect' boat, where equipment on board and all our other requirements taken into consideration, while keeping within budget, is going to be extremely difficult to find. So now I am throwing this advert here in the hope that someone out there may know of a boat that has been marketed locally or is due to come on the market. Perhaps you are looking to sell 'yours' and need the final incentive!

The plan is to circumnavigate, over a protracted period (min 5 years). It will be two of us when cruising far-flung landfalls, though there will be a lot of single-handed sailing for ocean crossings and the like. The Mrs doesn't like that part of sailing...!!

What I would like:

1. Stable and safe at sea if caught out by poor conditions.
2. 40 to 47ft.
3. Cutter rig.
4. Heavily laid GRP (non-cored) or steel.
5. Two heads.
6. Aft stateroom with (preferably) a centreline bed, to keep the Mrs happy.
7. Full cruising inventory - or as near as dammit: solar, wind, generator, self-steer wind vane, electronics, watermaker...I think you get the message!
8. Set up for short-handed sailing.
9. Good storage.
10. Good set of sails.
11. Preferably in Europe and EU tax paid for financial and logistical reasons. I would travel further afield, although the price would need to reflect the VAT payment I'd need to keep to one side.
12. No teak on decks!

That's about as much info I can give for the moment. I'm sure to have missed something!

My budget is up to £100k, though a boat at the upper end would have to be in either turnkey condition or fully loaded with every conceivable extra as mentioned above. I don't think my parameters are unrealistic having already come across several boats, two of which I offered on, that were (almost!) 'perfect'.

If you've any info at all that you think might help then please pass it on.

Many, many thanks.

SN.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:32   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: Ocean pedigree 40'-47' sailboat.

I wish you the best of luck, but I think you have high expectations for even your high end budget.
You might find someone who must sell, but I would suggest you don’t limit yourself to a cutter. A 40 foot plus sloop/cutter is a whopper to handle short handed, that’s why people go for ketches and schooners, and their reduced individual sail size.
Best of British.
JR
Old 08-12-2017, 02:49   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35

I have a 38' cat for sale that meets pretty much all of your requirements.
2004 38' Wildcat. With a 21' beam the Wildcat's have room similar to a 42' cat. She has 4 queen cabins, two heads, and a galley up in the large salon. 1300 watts solar, 480 watts wind (a super quiet Rutland 1200), all new electronics in 2016, 2kw generator, 37 gallon/hour watermaker. Set up for single handed sailing with all lines to the cockpit. Sails (main, genoa, reacher) all in great condition.
It's insured for $200k, with the last survey showing a replacement cost of $300k (and $100k work done since then). Sitting in The Bahamas and selling to the first person with $140,000.
You can see the extensive inventory at Sail Quest Details and tons of picture there too.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 00:44   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
I wish you the best of luck, but I think you have high expectations for even your high end budget.
You might find someone who must sell, but I would suggest you don’t limit yourself to a cutter. A 40 foot plus sloop/cutter is a whopper to handle short handed, that’s why people go for ketches and schooners, and their reduced individual sail size.
Best of British.
JR
Hi JR,

I know that I have limited my options and that a cutter has bigger individual sails. However, I am young and fit enough to manage them for now .

Although my criteria may seem restrictive, these options are 'preferred' and by no means set in stone...

I have seen several boats that fit the bill so I am not too disheartened or desperate (keen?...absolutely!) just yet. I have time on my side if needed.

Thank you for the input

Best,
SN.
Old 09-12-2017, 00:48   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
I have a 38' cat for sale that meets pretty much all of your requirements.
2004 38' Wildcat. With a 21' beam the Wildcat's have room similar to a 42' cat. She has 4 queen cabins, two heads, and a galley up in the large salon. 1300 watts solar, 480 watts wind (a super quiet Rutland 1200), all new electronics in 2016, 2kw generator, 37 gallon/hour watermaker. Set up for single handed sailing with all lines to the cockpit. Sails (main, genoa, reacher) all in great condition.
It's insured for $200k, with the last survey showing a replacement cost of $300k (and $100k work done since then). Sitting in The Bahamas and selling to the first person with $140,000.
You can see the extensive inventory at Sail Quest Details and tons of picture there too.
Hi David,

Lovely looking boat and a great blog to boot...

Unfortunately, she is too much for me. I have no experience with cats either (though this can be taught) and, she is balsa-cored. I know if done well there is no need to worry about it. I'd rather not have that worry or concern from the start and stick with solid GRP.

Best of luck with the sale.

Kind wishes,
SN.
Old 09-12-2017, 00:57   #6

I understand that the main problem you might have is to find such a boat size to be equipped for sailing single handed. I think that you will have a hard time finding one to suit your requirements.
yiannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 11:35   #7

Did you find your boat?
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARRYOWEN View Post
Did you find your boat?
Not yet!
Old 13-12-2017, 09:14   #9

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
Hi all,

My budget is up to £100k, though a boat at the upper end would have to be in either turnkey condition or fully loaded with every conceivable extra as mentioned above. I don't think my parameters are unrealistic having already come across several boats, two of which I offered on, that were (almost!) 'perfect'.

SN.
Just out of curiosity, what were the boats that you thought were "perfect" for you? that would help trying to understand what kind of cruiser you are...
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 19:18   #10

Oh okay, well I'm interested in this thread...I hope you update it if you are able
GARRYOWEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 03:45   #11

Hello Nomad
Just saw your ad , made me smile as it sounds we are exactly in the same boat...
Just completed the Arc and shot over to Martinique, with hope to find a boat with exactly the same profile as what you are looking for, even posted a note on the bulletin board at the Capitainerie..
Shall be following your post and progress, I am state side so lot of boats to look at .
Shall be messaging you when coming across a qualifying boat...
Best search,
Peace,
Em.
heliox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 04:32   #12

Boat: Stevens 47

Hi, we have a 1982 Stevens 47 for sale, very well thought out updates, proven, smooth passagemaker. You can view our listing here:

1982 sparkman stephens stevens 47 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Contact info, if interested, in the listing.
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 11:41   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by heliox View Post
Hello Nomad
Just saw your ad , made me smile as it sounds we are exactly in the same boat...
Just completed the Arc and shot over to Martinique, with hope to find a boat with exactly the same profile as what you are looking for, even posted a note on the bulletin board at the Capitainerie..
Shall be following your post and progress, I am state side so lot of boats to look at .
Shall be messaging you when coming across a qualifying boat...
Best search,
Peace,
Em.
Likewise, would love to hear how you get on...

Definitely a lot more choice - and better value - in the States. EU and UK boats hold their money! I'll do what I can here and try to stick to my criteria as best as I can. Although, I'd rather sail than stick rigidly to what I think I want/need!

It'll happen
Old 19-12-2017, 11:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hi, we have a 1982 Stevens 47 for sale, very well thought out updates, proven, smooth passagemaker. You can view our listing here:

1982 sparkman stephens stevens 47 sailboat for sale in Outside United States

Contact info, if interested, in the listing.
Saw the first photo and thought 'Oh. Yes. Please.' Then I saw the price and nearly died. That is almost twice my budget and a complete non-starter. But thanks for letting me look
Old 05-02-2018, 22:22   #15

Update: still looking...

Tags
boat, leopard, leopard 40, sail, sailboat