Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2018, 01:07   #16

Boat: Malö 40H
Re: Ocean pedigree 40'-47' sailboat.

Welcome to the club ..
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 16:41   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
Saw the first photo and thought 'Oh. Yes. Please.' Then I saw the price and nearly died. That is almost twice my budget and a complete non-starter. But thanks for letting me look
I thought you said your budget was GBP 100k? And the boat is USD 190k. Those are not too far off.

Am I missing something?
BigVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 00:34   #18

Boat: Currently Boatless!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVee View Post
I thought you said your budget was GBP 100k? And the boat is USD 190k. Those are not too far off.

Am I missing something?
I guess £37k is not a lot to some and could be considered as 'not far off' - it's substantial to me. But that aside, there are one or two other factors:

1. She isn't in the EU, would potentially be liable to VAT on re-entry into UK/EU waters. That's a hefty sum to keep aside. I'll be sailing, I won't have anything set aside - it'll all be spent!

2. Distance from me makes it harder for admin - getting all my stuff to the boat and one or two other personal reasons (Mrs!) etc.

3. I have seen boats that are well below this price and that are still suitable. I know they are out there.

Just because my max budget is £100k, it doesn't mean to say I want to spend it all - I'd rather spend less, have a capable boat and just sail.

More recently I have been looking at boats that would have initially been discounted for one reason or another. My criteria aren't set in concrete, by any means, but I'd like to stick to my guns where possible so that at least I give myself a fighting chance at the right boat/set up.

Hope that helps
Old 07-02-2018, 01:39   #19

Boat: Malö 40H

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigVee View Post

Am I missing something?
Yes.. 50K USD!!!
crankysailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:06   #20

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Maybe I'm biased, but before I took the plunge on their newer Super Maramu, an older Maramu was at the top of my list for most if not all of your requirements. Idiosyncratic, but as far as I can determine, bulletproof for the money:

Amel Maramu boats for sale - YachtWorld
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 04:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Maybe I'm biased, but before I took the plunge on their newer Super Maramu, an older Maramu was at the top of my list for most if not all of your requirements. Idiosyncratic, but as far as I can determine, bulletproof for the money:

Hi Sojourner,

I have looked at the Amels. There is no one particular reason as to why I haven't gone for one, as yet. There is no doubting their ability at sea, they have earned a decent reputation. I will try to stick to a centre line bed and cutter rig where possible for now. Not essential, but preferable (if only for a quiet life!).

Having said all that, the one in London does appear to be a good package! Who knows? I still have a bit of time on my side.

Thanks for the nod in that direction...

Best,
SN.
Old 28-02-2018, 07:34   #22

Have you thought about a Gulfstar..I have a 1981 CC Sloop..Solid glass..65K in fixes and upgrades..She's a great blue water boat In Maine USA..If interested email me I'll send you a spec sheet..Bt7747@yahoo.com Price:$87,500.00..Capt Bill
Bill tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 07:57   #23

The asking price on this is almost exactly 100k GBP (gentlemen do not pay asking price).

2000 Pacific Seacraft 37 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:14   #24

Boat: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post

This was my first thought also. They're tougher to find and right at the top of your price range, but a number of the Santorin's (rarer - 46' version of the Super Maramu) was also built as a sloop and I've seen a couple with an inner staysail fitted.

Mark
Hobie_ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 08:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
The asking price on this is almost exactly 100k GBP (gentlemen do not pay asking price).

2000 Pacific Seacraft 37 Cutter Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
She's a beautiful looking boat. She is probably a little tight at 37ft for what I am wanting to do. She also only has one head and is not UK/EU tax paid. All these things matter to me. But she is nice...
Old 17-03-2018, 08:07   #26

Boat: Custom Benford Liveaboard/Cruiser Price reduced to $90,000

Not all core is bad. My boat is cored with airex (will take a 90 degree bend without breaking) Yacht builder here in San Diego calls it a sledge hammer hull. In fact we laid up a sample and did take a sledge hammer to it....not a dent. It also is a fabulous insulator. I am still pouring sugar from the C & H milk carton container dated 2/2017. I probably bought it 2 years ago. Kahana is for sale here on page 2 Custom Benford Mercedes livaboard/cruiser cutter is a big 38. Just lowered the price to $139,000 Lots of luck
svkahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:17   #27

Take a look at some older Moody's
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 09:34   #28

My last boat was a Moody 336. I looked at a few 38s, 425s and 44s. They hold their money! But good boats all the same.
Old 17-03-2018, 09:37   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by settlednomad View Post
My last boat was a Moody 336. I looked at a few 38s, 425s and 44s. They hold their money! But good boats all the same.
We have had such good luck with our 425 that for the money it's really hard to beat, my wife loves the aft cabin.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2018, 14:02   #30

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Settlednomad,

Be of good cheer, sir. Our search for our present boat took us 3 years. It takes as long as it takes, and stick to your guns about the qualities of the vessel. You're looking for an awful lot of boat, in terms of additional equipment, and that makes your job even harder than ours was.

Ann

Tags
boat, leopard, leopard 40, sail, sailboat