Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2009, 14:37   #136

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Hi,

Have anybody bought a Leopard lately, of any size and can tell anything about actual sales price at the moment?

Sales price vs listing price??

Best wishes
Erik
Old 22-02-2009, 22:31   #137

Boat: Sunreef 70C
Hi Erik,
I just purchased the Leopard 46 located in Hawaii. 08 owners version. It is still listed on YW as pending. It just finished a passage from Miami to Tahiti finished in Hawaii. Everything from the trip was left with the boat. I negotiated 7.5% off listing. I didn't know much about R&C before this. I am all smiles every time I sail her. Hope this helps.
regards,
Mike
Leopard 46 "PACIFICA"
MHIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2009, 10:15   #138

Boat: Leopard 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHIGH View Post
Hi Erik,
I am all smiles every time I sail her. Mike
Leopard 46 "PACIFICA"
Mike,
From snow bound Germany.
I don’t know if I need to congratulate you or call the cops about a possible armed robbery….. All joking aside, I found the listing and after reading the spec sheet, I can only hope that I can find such a deal when I am ready to buy. May PACIFICA carry you and yours to those places that you wish to see.

Tom
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 08:07   #139

Tim mentioned that phaseout from the Moorings will almost never be on time. Any ideas why that is? Is there not a date for handover in the purchase contract? Thanks.
skippyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:09   #140

Boat: Leopard 42 - JAMU
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippyT View Post
Tim mentioned that phaseout from the Moorings will almost never be on time. Any ideas why that is? Is there not a date for handover in the purchase contract? Thanks.
My Moorings contract specified a window of 90 days for phaseout. Trying to get agreement on key dates was very difficult, and made it challenging to be on location for inspections etc. until the final handover. My solution was to use a qualified local surveyor to represent me.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 18:00   #141
Marine Service Provider

We do a lot of refits on the ex-charter Moorings/leopard/R&C cats, and generally they are all in good structural shape. The cosmetics and systems and generally in need of work/upgrading, but we have had very few with structural issues. Bottom line is that they are very tough, well put together cats.
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 15:09   #142

FOR SALE by owner: 2007 Leopard 46 Owners Version
55HP Twin Volvo (860 hrs), 9kw Generator (830hrs), 3 cabins, 3 heads,
3 AC units, Watermaker, Spinnaker, Kayak, Walker Bay Sailing Dinghy with 4 HP engine, Center Console Dinghy 30 HP Honda, dive tanks, Epirp, and much more to list here. This is a privately owned cat, never been chartered.
She is ready for blue water cruising, currently located in the BVIs.
Send us a message or email via this post for further information.
seajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 13:01   #143
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
There's been some great discussion about the pro's of the Leopards in this thread. I really like the interior layout of the boat, especially the galley. I have been looking primarily at FP cats but can't get over a couple of big hurtles with the FP Bahia. They are: poor dingy davits, poor galley, really poor nav station, non-walkthrough transom, - ok, now that I'm listing them I've got a lot of dislikes about the Bahia. But what I do like is the profile of the boat, it's sailing speed, and bridge deck clearence. They also appear to list for at least $50k less the a Leopard 47. The reason I had crossed the 47 off my list a long time ago is every time I look at pictures of the transom the bridgedeck clearence appears really-really low. I'd give up a lot to not have a boat slamming everytime I sail in rough weather.

The question was asked earlier with the answer that all cats slam in the right conditions. I'm sure this is true. But in my limited expearence, some slam easier and more often then others. I chartered a poorly designed 36' cat that constantly slammed, a 40' FP Lavezzi that didn't slam once, and a 46' Bahia which slammed once in a week. During each charter I had simular trade wind / ocean swells. So do any of you have a comparison based on expearence? Thanks.
Palarran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 01:44   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fountain Pajot, He'lia 44
Send a message via Skype™ to Gordon
rigamarole, have you taken the time to sail/look over the Orana 44, a faster and more comfortable live aboard boat than the Bahia 46.Bridge deck around 800 with little slamming a fwd. nav station which we have set up with autopilot remote and chart plotter feed into our 26" LCD TV (don't need my glasses to read) and level deck entry from the time you step onto the deck level on rear of boat. Freeboard about 6' which sits you well above the Bahia46 , a very dry boat at sea with level ,wide ,and no clutter on decks to access the fwd deck area.
Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2009, 04:48   #145

Gordon, yes I have looked at an Orana. My first loves where the Salina and Orana. Unfortunately, the economy has rightsized my dream towards a used cat instead of new. Fortunately I have quite some time until I have to buy so maybe that will change. The idea of the day for me is to fly to Tortola and see if I can day charter a bunch of cats. I'd like to try a Nautitech, Leopard, Lagoon, and new Salina or Orana.
Thanks for the advice. David
Old 06-07-2009, 04:44   #146

Boat: Bought 47 Leopard and because of emergency family issues must unfortunately sell.
Leopard 47 and Moorings

Goodmorning all,
My family and I are purchasing a Leopard 47 and are awaiting the boat to come out of charter. The boat will then go thru a full phase out. We have learned a lot thru folks like Tim that have the experience and knowledge. I researched different catamarans extensively traveling most the state of Florida as well a trip to BVI and decided on the 47. There are boats that could be had for less money but in the end you get what you pay for. The 47 fit our criteria for a large cruising family. We liked the construction, ease of adding new systems, sailing performance and over engineering due to the boat being in charter as a plus. Our experience with Moorings has yet to be decided but we are positive.
drboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:06   #147

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
I take issue with drboucher's "sailing performance and over engineering due to the boat being in charter". IMHO, most boats designed for the charter trade are built to last for the time they are leased back to the charter company and then, who cares. I have spent a lot of time sailing in the BVIs and have seen a lot of short rigs on bareboats, such that the bareboaters are sailing, in effect, with one reef in. That does not help their performance one bit. Guess that keeps the "sailors" from being quite so scared by the trade winds. There is also at lot of motoring by bareboaters; not sure if that is an indictment of their sailing qualities or the need of the bareboaters to 'see it all' on one trip. If you are OK with a boat of that quality and performance level, then go for it. Just understand what you are getting.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 07:50   #148

Boat: Bought 47 Leopard and because of emergency family issues must unfortunately sell.
Over engineering may not be the correct terminology but certainly a plus to have the number of Leopard 47's built and redesigned over the years due to comments and suggestions of charter boat captains and guests. The systems are easy to access, fix and re-fit. The Leopard is also great value for the money. Sorry you are so down on charter boats, try reading some of the other hundred or more posts from ex-charter people with far more experience than I.
drboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 08:02   #149

I'm not sure why some sailors have such a problem with charter boats either. You can buy a 47' Leopard in decient shape for $300k or a 3 year old St. Francis for $800k. The difference can buy a whole lot of fun.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:37   #150
Marine Service Provider

Over the years we have worked on many ex-charter cats, and the Leopard/Moorings cats are probably the top choice when it comes to survivability in the charter market. precious few have had any need for structural work, there is very little stress cracking on the sides of the coach house, no cracking on the underside of the bridge deck, we have had no cases of serious water ingression in the core. The systems are well laid out, and well documented. The boats lend themselves well to being used as private cats and we have a string of owners who are very happy with them.
The maintenance at the bases is not the best, and varies from base to base, but overall nothing that cant be addressed. I do not think that i can put commercial links on this site, so to keep in line with that you will need to email me and I can send a Picasa link of some of the changes we have made to the 47's(and 38, 42 and 45)
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp