Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2008, 01:07   #106

Boat: Leopard 45, 45 feet, Jet Stream
Send a message via Skype™ to Tim Schaaf
For what it is worth, our reverse cycle A/C units worked fine down to about 2-3 C. These are the the Weterbeke Rotary Aire units on the 45 and 47 (10,000 BTU and 17,000). We actually had ice on the water, one day. As for 8 degrees C., it should be no problem, at all. The insulation worked pretty well, too, as the Leopard has a vinyl headiner on a wood backing, plus the balsa core. I was generally surprised and impressed with the reverse cycle performance. However, I do think that the unit needs to have the reverse cycle valve installed from the outset. I am not at all sure that it can be retrofitted, but don't really know. Current draw on these units was in the 8- 12 amp range, at 110V.
Tim Schaaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 01:36   #107

Tim Schaaf:

Good info, thanks.
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2008, 14:21   #108

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Tim Schaaf, thanks again for good info. One question though do the models with reverse cycle valve have a specific model number or name?
Old 25-08-2008, 07:37   #110

http://www.yachtworld.com/tuimarine/

http://www.yachtworld.com/privatelab...1004&rid=&cint=
Old 25-08-2008, 10:56   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Macca View Post
We bought our privately owned 2000 Leopard 45 in Ireland three years ago and have no complaints at all. She's probably among the last before the 47 was introduced, which got rid of her only problem: the tail sometimes gets submerged by her own wake when she's pushing along, and the additional couple of feet on the tail cured that. The minimal makeover with the 47 demonstrates just what a great boat Simonis originally designed - and several million sea miles on deliveries seems to confirm its integrity. Our example has done something like 40,000 sea miles without incident.
She's very solid, reliable and very comfortable. A very big rig, but my wife and I sail her easily, although she'd be a challenge without electric winches. She likes her wind over 15 knots, although we're using a big assymetric now to deal with the lighter stuff.
And she points higher than I thought she would, thanks to a very good sail plan.
I was initially worried about her seemingly low bridgedeck, but it hasn't been a particular problem –*like most cats (and I mean MOST cats) she pounds when you take her straight into waves, but 15-20 degrees off and she's fine. I have a copy of an interview with Simonis in which he explains his philosophy on the hull design and lowish bridgedeck. It's very interesting and I'll post somewhere if anyone is interested.
There are advantages of boats built specifically for charter, too,like big engines and simple systems, the best gear and everything over-engineered. The Moorings had huge input into the way the 45 was laid out, and after all those years of chartering they knew what they wanted.
Because they're made for charter they're also easy to maintain and clean - they have to be if you want same-day turnaround! There's not much to dislike, frankly.
I look forward to the armchair sailors having a good chew now...

Big Macca
Hi Big Macca,
Is it possible to receive a copy of interview with Simonis.
Thank you.
George Jaros
PS. This is my first attempt, hope all is good.
Georeg Jaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 11:32   #112
cruiser

Big Macca, I'd love to read the interview with Simonis. If it is something you found on the internet and saved, it is easy to post attachments on this site. If it is from Multihull magazine, I may have read it. I read one interview with him in that magazine, and learned a lot. I don't remember much about bridgedeck clearance in it, though.
BigCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2008, 14:48   #113

Boat: 2 boats, 900 Viknes, 1055 RSA, going for Multihull soon
Send a message via MSN to Erikte
Hi again

How or has the resent economy recession had any reaction in these boats prices.

I can find them on yachting world but have anybody some information from actual sales??

Erik
Old 22-12-2008, 17:56   #114

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
I had a code that worked for soldboats.com but it no longer works.

Anyone have another?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2008, 07:03   #115

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Green with envy...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelkirkWind View Post
Your questions have gathered alot of great data here. IMHO, the boats have been getting better over time. I now own a 4600 and you may see her at the Annapolis boat show in October: United States Sailboat Show, Annapolis, Chesapeake Bay, Maryland The 4600 finally corrected a few deficiencies in the predecessors. The hull chines were increased to improve boat speed (the 4700 was not bad to begin with!), the helm was raised up under it's own hard bimini so that people in "the lounge" (out of respect to my monohull friends I will not say "cockpit") are out of the way for serious sailing. The traveler is on top of the lounge's hard bimini and the lounge itself now is huge with the removal of the sailing gear. I loved this because unlike the Lagoon's I learned on, I don't crack my head everytime I come out of the helm to head below (what is it with the French "short is beautiful thing?"). The next feature is the windlass and the trampoline. This boat has an undivided trampoline, because the anchor rode does not have to slide across the forebeam to exit the boat. In the 4600 it goes out directly from the anchor closet. Because the windlass is positioned directly at the base of the mast, you can use it to raise the main (NICE!). I am not sure that Moorings is correct when they say that all lines lead to the helm, as I noted the main and the spare halyard were not routable there. Another 4600 owner would have to comment as I have not tried it. The last meaningful improvement was the electrical system. It is all routed to a central (ACCESSIBLE) cabinet and the air conditioning and generator systems are all separate. If one AC goes down you don't loose the other 2 sections (divided into starboard hull, port hull and main deck). The reliability data will have to come as these boats have only been in service a year. They replaced the venerable and nice 4700.
I was on your 46 and compared the the lagoon 44....well,..honestly there was no comparison, especially in the "lounge" area. WOW...hat I fine yacht.....I want one.....when you sell it....think of XXUXX.
xxuxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 16:08   #116

Regarding the leopard 47 could some one tell me what is the bridge deck clearance to the water
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 19:14   #117
jzk

Here is a picture of it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PC220183.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	396.2 KB
ID:	6525  
jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:20   #118

Sorry , I'm not trying to hijack the thread , But Friends and i chartered a 38 ' leopard a few years ago had a great time except as I remember we only had about 450-500mm bridge clearance from the water and it pounded a lot when we pushed it too hard.
I am now looking at changing from mono to multi for a extended around the world trip and looking for a cat with at least 850-950mm bridge clearance and yes I love the layout of the 47 leopard
KIWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35   #119

Boat: R&C, Leopard Catermaran, 47', Rapture
the 47 will pound when you go to weather - nature of the beast - but a small price to pay for this great boat. My family loves it.
shawnbush12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:46   #120
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by KIWI View Post
Sorry , I'm not trying to hijack the thread , But Friends and i chartered a 38 ' leopard a few years ago had a great time except as I remember we only had about 450-500mm bridge clearance from the water and it pounded a lot when we pushed it too hard.
I am now looking at changing from mono to multi for a extended around the world trip and looking for a cat with at least 850-950mm bridge clearance and yes I love the layout of the 47 leopard
Lightwave 45 -genuine round the world boat with 950 mm of clearance and great build quality - and its built just next door (well on the gold coast)
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leopard, ramp