Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2019, 16:03   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Which battery charger to Equalize Lifeline AGMs?

Thing about using Solar is you need of be fully, 100% charged prior to equalizing, and by that I mean not when your amp counter monitor says your charged. But when the banks acceptance rate is .5% of rated capacity is at 14.3V, so your going to have to put a few hours of charging in before the Solar day really gets going, Remember it takes up to 6 hours to get to fully charged, even though many seem to argue that fact.
You need to manually hold 14.3 until that happens, one way is to just set both absorption and float to 14.3.

To equalize, all you need is a battery charger that can be manually set to output 15.5V, amps are irrelevant as the bank will self regulate itself, my bank during equalization accepts less than 1 amp, with a 125 amp charger.

So if you have a charger you can manually adjust hold 14.3 V until the bank accepts less than .5% or rates capacity, for my 660 AH bank just as an example that is 3.3 amps. Then ideally you need to let it rest and temps stabilize at float voltage of 13.3, then equalize.
That is tough to do with Solar, and tough to do with a generator, well not tough just a lot of hours running.

However with shore power, your in no hurry, fully 100% charge today, let it float overnight and temps come down, and equalize tomorrow.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:50   #17

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada
Re: Which battery charger to Equalize Lifeline AGMs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Thing about using Solar is you need of be fully, 100% charged prior to equalizing, and by that I mean not when your amp counter monitor says your charged. But when the banks acceptance rate is .5% of rated capacity is at 14.3V, so your going to have to put a few hours of charging in before the Solar day really gets going, Remember it takes up to 6 hours to get to fully charged, even though many seem to argue that fact.
You need to manually hold 14.3 until that happens, one way is to just set both absorption and float to 14.3.

To equalize, all you need is a battery charger that can be manually set to output 15.5V, amps are irrelevant as the bank will self regulate itself, my bank during equalization accepts less than 1 amp, with a 125 amp charger.

So if you have a charger you can manually adjust hold 14.3 V until the bank accepts less than .5% or rates capacity, for my 660 AH bank just as an example that is 3.3 amps. Then ideally you need to let it rest and temps stabilize at float voltage of 13.3, then equalize.
That is tough to do with Solar, and tough to do with a generator, well not tough just a lot of hours running.

However with shore power, your in no hurry, fully 100% charge today, let it float overnight and temps come down, and equalize tomorrow.
Thanks. Understand and fully agree.

I've got an e-mail into the ProNautic folks. The way I read the 1260P manual, if I select a battery type of "custom", it will allow me to manually select my absorption and float voltages, but the equalize feature will be disabled. When I get my response, I'll hope to understand it better.

As it happens, the equalize voltage is not adjustable (if I read the manual correctly), but the default value is 15.5 Volts. That's good news. Maybe I just need to select "custom" for everyday useage and the "flooded" for equalizing. I'll keep researching.

Thanks again, A64!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:01   #18

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36
Which battery charger to Equalize Lifeline AGMs?

What about a variable voltage DC power supply, set to 15.5V? Max current is normally 5A, which is plenty. That way you wouldn’t need to change your existing setup at all. I’m considering one of these myself, for the same reason. Can’t equalise from solar because Earth days are inconveniently short.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:53   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

see post #8
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:25   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
What about a variable voltage DC power supply, set to 15.5V? Max current is normally 5A, which is plenty. That way you wouldn’t need to change your existing setup at all. I’m considering one of these myself, for the same reason. Can’t equalise from solar because Earth days are inconveniently short.
Yeah, John beat you to this one.

After looking at it longer, I decided that I would like the availability of a full marine battery charger, so I will most probably buy a Sterling 12 V 60 Amp unit from Maine Sail. This will allow equalization and also be an additional battery charger in the event of failure of my inverter/charger.

Thanks for the suggestion, and thanks to John, also.

Steve
Old 09-07-2019, 11:28   #21

Boat: Pearson 30

I just installed a pro mariner pro Nautique 40 amp charger that charges three banks/3 batteries. Just a cautionary note, this charger requires eight gauge wiring so I had to replace all my battery wiring and cables for the upgrade. It is an awesome charger with LED lights and fast charging capabilities as well as digital readout For volts, amps and a temperature sensor.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:56   #22

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
see post #8

Apologies! Thanks for the links.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 03:40   #23

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
I've got an e-mail into the ProNautic folks.
I've found the ProMariner tech people to be very useful when contacted by phone. Not sure they know how to spell "e-mail" -- I don't remember any response, that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
After looking at it longer, I decided that I would like the availability of a full marine battery charger, so I will most probably buy a Sterling 12 V 60 Amp unit from Maine Sail. This will allow equalization and also be an additional battery charger in the event of failure of my inverter/charger.
AFAIK, most ProMariner and Sterling products are the same; co-development or something like that. Sometimes I've found it useful to read the Sterling manual for a ProMariner product; sometimes the different wording has clarified.

-Chris
Old 12-07-2019, 03:07   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've found the ProMariner tech people to be very useful when contacted by phone. Not sure they know how to spell "e-mail" -- I don't remember any response, that way.

AFAIK, most ProMariner and Sterling products are the same; co-development or something like that. Sometimes I've found it useful to read the Sterling manual for a ProMariner product; sometimes the different wording has clarified.

-Chris
Thanks, Chris. ProNautic did respond to my e-mail so someone must've been hired. And I had a suspicion that Sterling and ProNautic chargers looked an awful lot alike, so thanks for clearing that up!

Cheers!

Steve
Old 12-07-2019, 09:33   #25
cruiser

They share exactly the same motherboard.

I believe Charles is the main developer, but perhaps PM has input / feedback.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:31   #26

Quote:
They share exactly the same motherboard.

I believe Charles is the main developer, but perhaps PM has input / feedback.

You mean Charles Sterling, not Charles the "Various electrics stuff" company?

-Chris
Old 13-07-2019, 07:28   #27
cruiser

Yes Sterling, never heard of the latter
Old 13-07-2019, 12:39   #28

Charles chargers, Charles shorepower cables, etc. Dunno the real name of the company...

-Chris
Old 13-07-2019, 12:43   #29
cruiser

Ah yes, seen some very old chargers. Company been gone a while pretty sure
Old 13-07-2019, 13:27   #30

Quote:
Ah yes, seen some very old chargers. Company been gone a while pretty sure
I respectfully offer a correction. Charles Industrial Group is very much alive and well. They did shut down their marine equipment group in November 2016, but that's only two and a half years ago. It hasn't been THAT long. I have an isolation transformer from Charles that I bought before they shut down the line. Excellent piece of gear.

A link from the company - Charles Industries: Marine and Industrial Group

Cheers!

Steve

Tags
agm, battery, charger