Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2019, 13:47   #31
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Which battery charger to Equalize Lifeline AGMs?

Thanks for the correction, good to know
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 17:35   #32

The Meanwell RSP-500-15 adjustable voltage power supply, has 40 amps available to seek and hold any voltage between 13.12 and 19.23 volts, for as long as the owner decides to hold a desired voltage within that range.

It can be bought for under 100$ in North America. Input AC voltage is 85 to 264. 47 to 63hz. One needs to provide their own AC and DC cabling to and from it.

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/2...ec-1109676.pdf.

The specs of the 500 watt model in the data sheet for the -15 model, do not perfectly match the numbers I posted above, but I have been using this power supply as my primary charger since october 2014, and 40 amps constant current limiting, and 13.12 to 19.23 volts is the range mine has, though the 19.23v is unloaded, other than 0.3 amps of fans.

While I have modified mine with better heatsinking and ventilation, and 10 turn voltage adjustment potentiometer, it has many thousands of hours on it without a hiccup, and had rejuvinated to some degree, many batteries brought to me, that other chargers simply cannot.

I'd expect 6 fully charged Lifeline GC-2s in series parallel that require a conditioning, to require more than 5 amps, to be brought to and then held at 15.5v for 8 hours.

Amps are likely to increase at some point during the 8 hour conditioning cycle, on Lifeline batteries in need of a 'conditioning'. Perhaps if new and healthier the amps required to achieve 15.5v would be low and taper or plateau and not increase.

But this is conjecture, a I have no actual data or experience with trying to condition Lifeline batteries in such a condition. Other brands of AGM and flooded marine/ starting and maintenance free auto batteries, yes.

No data or experience, and one can choose to disregard the poster's words. Likely should in most cases.

My Northstar AGM, when newer/healthier, would have amps taper to near zero at any voltage, now at 5.5+ years of age, and 1100+ deep cycles, amperage barely tapers to 0.5% of capacity at absorption voltage, then starts increasing again along with battery temperature, though nothing approaching thermal 'runaway', yet.

When This TPPL Northstar's voltage retention under load, considering Amp hours removed, appears to be lacking, a high amp recharge from a well depleted state to 14.7v and held until amps taper 0.5% of capacity, or until they start rising again, has been the remedy.

I've not tried 15.5v for 8 hours as Lifeline recommends for their thicker plate batteries, as the high amperage recharge from a well depleted state, has always been effective, so far.

There are inexpensive 600 watt voltage boosters that can also effectively raise voltage to 15.5v, but it is likely another battery needs to be between the smart/automatic charger and the voltage booster which is feeding the batteries in need of an EQ/conditioning.
Sternwake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 18:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve77 View Post
Thanks, all.

Now I am looking for a battery charger that I can customize the charge profile and the equalize voltage. I am also considering buying the bells-and-whistles remote for my solar controller to allow equalizing from solar.

Steve
Xantrex has one a 20 amp for $100-- can set anything in it
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 20:25   #34
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Hey Sternwake, welcome back!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sternwake View Post
I have modified mine with better heatsinking and ventilation, and 10 turn voltage adjustment potentiometer
Can you link to a build thread for your mods? On another forum would be OK.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery, charger