Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 18:37   #31

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Where to put gas generator when in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
I have a honda 2k which suits all my needs except for the fact that I need to stow it and take it out for use. If I need to use it during the day when we are outside the cabin, no problem.

What I don't know is if I can use it while I sleep, which is what I want to do to mostly run an AC.

I have a cat, with a large transom (actually 2), and I could even turn the unit sideways and put on the transom steps to put it further down.

I am most worried about CO. This would be used at anchor so we would be into the wind, so theoretically the wind would carry the exhaust away from the boat. But I don't want to go to sleep on theoretically and not wake up!

It is not accepted practice to run a gas generator while you sleep. Does anyone make something that would take the exhaust away into the water that you would trust your life with?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Well the CO will just bubble up to the surface. All you'd really gain is to have moved the emission point further away by the length of the exhaust extension.
+1
Solubility of CO in water at usual water temperatures is measured in parts per million.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:37   #32

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanglewood View Post
I'll speak up for the other people in the anchorage. Those portable generators may be inexpensive and convenient for you, but they are a real nuisance for the rest of us in the anchorage who have to listen to them drone on. And now you are talking about running it all night long? It's very inconsiderate of the other people around you.
I'm not sure they are worse than inboard diesel generators whose sound carries very well in the water but I agree that they, like any internal combustion engine, can be annoying. We normally anchor away from crowds & don't have air conditioning so ours never gets run at night. Mostly it is used for our RV but I do run it on the boat in the morning sometimes to charge the batteries if I need to run the hot water heater. However, I do plan to install air at some point & plan to use it on the rare occasions that that's necessary.

Regarding storage I would NEVER EVER store anything with any kind of gas below decks. It should be in a vented locker, the cockpit or on deck. A very small amount of gas vapors in the bilge can turn your boat into a bomb!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 18:42   #33

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Quote:
I'll speak up for the other people in the anchorage. Those portable generators may be inexpensive and convenient for you, but they are a real nuisance for the rest of us in the anchorage who have to listen to them drone on. And now you are talking about running it all night long? It's very inconsiderate of the other people around you.
I have just read through this thread from start to finish and was just about to weigh in with exactly the point you just made when I came to your post. Thank you. I am always amazed at how few people actually consider the impact of their actions on others around them.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 19:13   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I'm not sure they are worse than inboard diesel generators whose sound carries very well in the water but I agree that they, like any internal combustion engine, can be annoying.

From another boat, the sound is VERY different. A wet exhaust marine gen set is barely audible from another boat. An on-deck portable is very noticeable.

I understand people running them during the day to charge batteries etc, and that's fair game. Some people run jet skis, some play loud music... I get it. But come night fall it's nice to see it get quiet.
Old 08-11-2018, 19:39   #35

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

If there is concern with exhaust gases wafting back onboard and killing you with a small gas generator on the sugar scoop could this not also be potentially dangerous to a boat anchored close downwind? I too actually have a small generator onboard but I wouldn't dream of running it at night out of consideration for others.
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 07:40   #36
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
could this not also be potentially dangerous to a boat anchored close downwind?
Dilution is the solution. They would need to be **very** close and completely still air for it to be an issue.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 08:15   #37

Boat: Nonsuch 30

I am also in the camp that these things are very annoying in an anchorage, especially at night. One can spoil the tranquility of a large area. We had an inboard diesel genset with underwater exhaust in our last boat and you could not hear it 20' from the boat. These little gas generators are a different thing entirely.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:27   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
I am also in the camp that these things are very annoying in an anchorage, especially at night. One can spoil the tranquility of a large area. We had an inboard diesel genset with underwater exhaust in our last boat and you could not hear it 20' from the boat. These little gas generators are a different thing entirely.

I seriously doubt that and, unless you were trying to sleep in a nearby boat, you would not know. We can always tell when someone fires up a generator at night and they don't have to be close. No doubt that Hondas are louder & more obnoxious but inboard generators are audible to people in surrounding boats. If the point of this thread has morphed into one of being considerate it's something to keep in mind.
Old 09-11-2018, 08:28   #39
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Eleuthera 60
Where to put gas generator when in use

Hi all. As a career fireman paramedic I’ve both assed the CO, and other gasses, levels and treated victims of CO poisoning (some fatal).

I actually brought my portable Yamaha 1kw to the station a few years ago and in the open area of the apparatus room, we could NOT get the CO to dangerous levels. The Honda in question is twice the size, but still very efficient.

The big concern is the direction of the exhaust and possible wind direction to bring it back aboard.

Wet exhaust in open water would likely totally alleviate any risk for onboard occupants and quiet the unit a lot; but maybe more trouble than it’s worth.

Have (2) CO/smoke combo detectors in different locations and call it a day.

My bigger issue is leaving an unattended engine running all night. When gensets run out of fuel under load it is very harmful for electrical generating components. Also, waking up to a partially melted sugar scoop or your boat on fire...probably not, but I’m accident prone ;-)

Lastly, I was giving a sailing dinghy lesson yesterday and a cruiser had his Honda 2kw running in the swim step. I could barely hear it just 20’ away. They don’t bug me in the least. But then again I do like falling asleep to purring cats to contrast my six kids’ screaming, hehe.

Oh, and if someone gives you a diesel genset, installs it for free, and pays/transports all your fuel, definitely consider leaving the Honda at home.........ya..........
Old 09-11-2018, 09:24   #40

Boat: Hunter passage42

I agree!!
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44   #41

Boat: Seaward 25

Quote:
I agree with this but, if he puts it on one of the transom steps it shouldn’t be a problem. Easy enough to sneak over and dump the whole thing into the drink.
canyonbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:47   #42

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
This was just the dinghy sitting in the water, still attached to the Davits.
Side benefit was you couldn’t hear it in the boat at all.
My boat is the old fashioned squared off transom, not a sugar scoop, so I can’t get the generator down low except to put it into the dinghy.
Of course I don’t know if there was a following wind if a sugar scoop, wouldn’t function to scoop the CO right back up?

CO is apparently slightly lighter than air, combine that with coming out of an engines exhaust, it’s hot, it’s certainly lighter than air.
Carbon monoxide is, in fact, heavier than air!
Ken Pole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 09:51   #43

Quote I agree with this but, if he puts it on one of the transom steps it shouldn’t be a problem. Easy enough to sneak over and dump the whole thing into the drink. Quote

You're obviously kidding & it's really funny but this bring up a good point. NEVER do something like this. The smart thing to do these days if just pull anchor & move if inconsiderate neighbors are bothering you. Their are a lot of very tense people out there these days & it's way too easy for things to escalate.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:57   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
Carbon monoxide is, in fact, heavier than air!
Wrong:

https://healthybuildingscience.com/2...onoxide-facts/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3...oxide_detector

https://nest.com/support/article/Sho...near-the-floor
Old 09-11-2018, 10:02   #45

We've used a Honda 2K on the swim platform for 10 years. We have 3 CO detectors that have never gone off. We've gone out on the dinghy in various directions and distances to hear the noise impact. It's very subtle over 75 feet away. We try to run it early in the evening. If we have to run it later, we shut it off by 10 (10-11 is the typical start of civil noise ordinances in most areas).

I'm not sure I can agree with encouraging the destruction of people's property. If you're blocking my view, can I then pull your anchor? Let's be reasonable.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator