Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2018, 07:18   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
Where to put gas generator when in use

I have a honda 2k which suits all my needs except for the fact that I need to stow it and take it out for use. If I need to use it during the day when we are outside the cabin, no problem.

What I don't know is if I can use it while I sleep, which is what I want to do to mostly run an AC.

I have a cat, with a large transom (actually 2), and I could even turn the unit sideways and put on the transom steps to put it further down.

I am most worried about CO. This would be used at anchor so we would be into the wind, so theoretically the wind would carry the exhaust away from the boat. But I don't want to go to sleep on theoretically and not wake up!

It is not accepted practice to run a gas generator while you sleep. Does anyone make something that would take the exhaust away into the water that you would trust your life with?
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:33   #2

Boat: Scout 30
Re: Where to put gas generator when in use

There are a lot of cruisers using Hondas, including us, but safety is always a big concern. We put ours on our swim platform with the exhaust pointing to the side so that the wind takes it away. A CO detector is a must & I think 2 should be used if you are running a Honda.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:54   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I found a car mat useful to damp down the noise but also stop the feet on the Honda marking the deck or swim platform depending on the wind direction.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:27   #4

Leave it at home where it belongs.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 09:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Last job was certifying new aircraft, an FAA requirement was a CO detector that read in parts per million and it was very sensitive.
On my mono hull I could get detectable amounts of CO if the generator was anywhere except the dinghy, which was in the water.
Not dangerous levels, but detectable ones.
For your Cat, assuming bow into the wind, your transom is likely the best place.
By all means get a CO detector or two, they have use by date too, so every few years they have to be replaced, they pretty much only alarm at dangerous or close to dangerous levels.
Ours has never gone off, where my sensitive one would detect CO when the propane stove was on.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:13   #6
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

People do die from these.

Consider some distance away, in the dinghy.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:26   #7

Never thought of putting in the dinghy and floating that say 10 feet aft with an extension cord. But over the water?

Someone should make something that goes over the exhaust that then has some tubing that you can put directly into the water. Would have to be metal for the heat to go over the muffler, but can then be some plastic further down...
Old 08-11-2018, 11:07   #8

People make exhaust kits and fittings to run the Honda exhaust to the water. I have seen them online and a search should easily find options. I dont think that would eliminate the CO2 concerns though.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:15   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowneasy View Post
People make exhaust kits and fittings to run the Honda exhaust to the water. I have seen them online and a search should easily find options. I dont think that would eliminate the CO2 concerns though.
Thanks. https://www.ebay.com/i/131698993133?...3D131698993133

I am not sure about why this would not mitigate the CO (not CO2, worried about carbon monoxide, not dioxide) issue. It is on the stern, into the wind, and now all the emissions will be directed into the water with this tube.

With a good detector, I would think I would be pretty safe to use?
Old 08-11-2018, 11:16   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Essential, as noted, is a CO detector. Ordinary battery models, like home smoke detectors, are available at building suppliers and Amazon. We have one in our engine room to detect escaping exhaust gas, and one in our sleeping cabin. Watch out around swim platforms. Older boats in particular release exhaust under them; one death by an owner in the water cleaning the stern made local news.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:17   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where to put gas generator when in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Never thought of putting in the dinghy and floating that say 10 feet aft with an extension cord. But over the water?

Someone should make something that goes over the exhaust that then has some tubing that you can put directly into the water. Would have to be metal for the heat to go over the muffler, but can then be some plastic further down...

This was just the dinghy sitting in the water, still attached to the Davits.
Side benefit was you couldn’t hear it in the boat at all.
My boat is the old fashioned squared off transom, not a sugar scoop, so I can’t get the generator down low except to put it into the dinghy.
Of course I don’t know if there was a following wind if a sugar scoop, wouldn’t function to scoop the CO right back up?

CO is apparently slightly lighter than air, combine that with coming out of an engines exhaust, it’s hot, it’s certainly lighter than air.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Thanks. https://www.ebay.com/i/131698993133?...3D131698993133

I am not sure about why this would not mitigate the CO (not CO2, worried about carbon monoxide, not dioxide) issue. It is on the stern, into the wind, and now all the emissions will be directed into the water with this tube.

With a good detector, I would think I would be pretty safe to use?
Sorry I meant CO (CO2 is a big issue in my work and I typed out of habit).

I'm no expert and others can probably explain how CO reacts in water, but my thinking was that piping the exhaust in the water would not reduce the CO output as the gas is going to rise to the surface and then still dissipate in the wind. A hose would lower the exhaust release level and also likely lowers the noise. If the breeze carries the fumes into the cabin you could still get a buildup of CO. I personally only run a generator if I am up top and paying attention to what is going on. I would never consider running a generator while sleeping.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Leave it at home where it belongs.
These are the kinds of comments that contribute nothing to the site. There is no one “right way” to sail. If you don’t have insight into how to safely use a gas powered Benny on a boat, that’s ok. But the “you’re doing it wrong as my way is the only way to sail” comments that permeate every thread are such a drag on an otherwise fantastic resource.

I can’t speak to exhaust fume safety, but I have experimented with glass pack sound absorption for the exhaust and squishy foam pads as a platform and they dramatically decrease noise and vibration (this testing was done for an RV but would still apply here) on an already quiet generator.
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 11:35   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

A hose will also increase back pressure, especially if it’s under water, then how do you attach it so it’s easily removable for storage?
Due to temps, I’d think it would have to be a metal tube, not a hose.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:02   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalas View Post
These are the kinds of comments that contribute nothing to the site.
Not as much as yours IMO.

He is expressing a valid opinion, just a bit too tersely.

Used to be expressed a lot more here, that these units have no place at all on most boats, that they are just too dangerous, if you need a genset then spend the money on a properly safe one integrated into the design of perhaps a larger boat.

Many people feel the same about gasoline in general, or propane.

Just because so many people hold the opposing view, does not mean it is correct, and

certainly not that it is not valid to express one's opposition.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator