Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 17:00   #16

Boat: Morgan 44 Centre cockpit
Re: What to replace my batteries with

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Liberty View Post
I'm actually a little down on the T105. I installed four of them in 2005 while cruising in Mexico, and ended up replacing them in 2007 (also upgrading to six instead of four in the house bank) before going out on a long-term cruise. After about three years, two of the six batteries had crapped out; a bad cell in each.
It's really interesting how different situations have widely different experience. My last set of four T105s lasted 9 full years and if I said I practised good maintenance on them I'd be lying.

I wasn't ready to put a new bank in at the time and a friend was "upgrading" (yeah well maybe it is) to AGM and ditching a set of six T105s that were also 9 years old but still seemingly OK. So I ditched mine, extended my battery box to fit 6 units and ran the used set for another year.

In January this year I replaced them (at 10 years old) with another set of 6 new ones. For me there simply isn't another deep cycle option. YMMV.

The older one gets, the older one wants to get (Mick Jagger)
Omatako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 17:23   #17

And of course, you want a start battery for the engine, not a deep cycle.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 17:33   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaSon View Post

Why?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 18:24   #19

Boat: Morgan 44 Centre cockpit

Quote:
As mentioned in another post (maybe thread) I don't have a "start battery". I have a house bank of six T105s and then a have an emergency bank comprising two type 27 12v batteries.

Everything electrical on the boat is done by the house bank. If/when the house bank can't do my bidding (soft/flat), I switch to the emergency bank, start the engine, switch back to the house bank and charge it back up. This rarely occurs because I have a solar array (280W) and a wind gen which together replenish most of my daily amps consumption.

The older one gets, the older one wants to get (Mick Jagger)
Omatako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 18:45   #20

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Quote:

Starting batteries with high CCA ability aren't needed for the small diesels (<100 hp) found in most sail boats. The average deep cycle battery has more than enough cranking power to easily start them.

It's always a good idea to have a separate bank for starting if the house bank is low, but there is no reason it can't be the same 12V deep cycle battery as you have for your house bank.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 18:53   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

SailorLady323, most 12 volt batteries are not deep cycle so be careful what you buy. It is possible that the 12 volt batteries that you recommend are deep cycle but not likely.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 18:58   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

I never use 6V cells for 12V systems.

I would get a plain Bosch or Varta starter battery, car grade. 12V if your starter is 12V.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 19:14   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
SailorLady323, most 12 volt batteries are not deep cycle so be careful what you buy. It is possible that the 12 volt batteries that you recommend are deep cycle but not likely.
Deep Friz
You are so wrong. Marine deep cycle. I am a VERY experienced sailor.
Sailorlady323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 19:34   #24

Boat: Liberty 458

We use Optima spiral wound AGMs for starting and Trojan flooded lead acid for the house. Both technologies are well proven.

I'm looking at carbon foam as replacements for our 9 year old Trojans. The Trojans are still working well but quite thirsty in their old age.

For only the second time in my career (AGM gell in late 80s early 90s) I can see new battery technologies becoming a commercial reality. I dont consider Lithium to be a cost effective option for house batteries even today.

I suspect that in 5 years we'll have some more options for house batteries. There is lots of commercial interest that will improve performance and lower specific costs in 3 - 7 years.

If your usage is not extreme then you can expect 2 - 5 years from even cheap car batteries. If you look after them.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 19:36   #25

Deep cycle for house bank, start battery for start.

SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2016, 02:08   #26

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

2 ac delco agm 750 cca each still going o.k after 16 months negligible loss so far
bought them from 24 hour taxi service station / easy walking distance from the river we moor in / it's the only brand they have / we hope the cab owners had done their homework properly / they were the right physical size to fit the boxes we didn't want wet acid in the wooden hull
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:13   #27

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNoPlans View Post
I have purchased my 6 volts at Costco. They are branded as Interstate and they are about $80 each. It is hard to go wrong at that price point.
I would be very interested to hear how those batteries hold up in the long run. Please check back and let us know. I bought the very best batteries, 225amp T125's and at $200+ dollars each I'm hoping they outperform and outlast $80 batteries by more than double.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:33   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady323 View Post
Deep Friz
You are so wrong. Marine deep cycle. I am a VERY experienced sailor.
If you are basing this on the label on the battery be aware that there is often a big difference in the batteries that call themselves deep cycle. Very few 12V batteries labeled deep cycle are built with all the internal features found in 6V Trojan T105s and similar that make them exactly equivalent in function.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:44   #29

Boat: Catalina 30

When we bought our old C27 our batteries were stored in the port side lazerette, just siting in there. We went with Sams Club batteries and bought some marine battery boxes to keep them in ($8 on Amazon). Easy and no worries about that boat hook falling and shorting the terminals.
Old 04-07-2016, 07:47   #30

Boat: Tartan 37

Another option that few go with but I did, was to use 12vdc golf cart batteries. They have the same footprint as a group 31, but are 2 inches taller and are 155 amp-hours. Two paralleled at a 1-2 switch gives you 310amp-hours. Mine were made by US Batteries and cost about $125 each. Didn't have to change any wiring, so increased by battery bank by almost 50% for about $50.

I second Optima spiral wound battery for a starting battery. Have one in a VW thats 9years old, after sitting disconnected for 7months while cruising started right up, I was amazed. They are totally carefree.

Good point about a battery box, a crowbar short will kill a lot of external regulators like Balmars. When moving battery leads unplug the regulator.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote