Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2016, 13:47   #46

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch
Re: RENOGY Flexible Solar Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
How old are your Lensun flex panels?

Are they the Aluminum backed ones?

Is the coating holding out well?
Yes they are aluminum backed, the coating has faded. They still work good though. Installed 2014. Survived the summer season in baja this year.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 16:11   #47

Boat: C&C 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post
Had exactly the same experience... I will say however, Renogy was very good about replacing the panels. Refunded cost difference, and pre-payed the return of the defective gear.
I have had nothing but good experiences with Renogy too. Great customer service and my four rigid 100w panels continue to perform as new for 5 seasons now.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 18:23   #48

We have had renogy flexible solar panels for about 6 months. In Florida during the summer, it worked great. Winter time is a different situation. also i was wondering any of yours have clouded over? The protective coating has worn off. I washed it well, but the panels themselves are cloudy, or opaque. Maybe this is why they are not working well. we plan to replace them with glass panels, as they clean easier. Any thoughts?
Jamoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 06:41   #49

Boat: 50' Herreshoff Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamoco View Post
We have had renogy flexible solar panels for about 6 months. In Florida during the summer, it worked great. Winter time is a different situation. also i was wondering any of yours have clouded over? The protective coating has worn off. I washed it well, but the panels themselves are cloudy, or opaque. Maybe this is why they are not working well. we plan to replace them with glass panels, as they clean easier. Any thoughts?
My lensun panels clouded over. It doesn't seem to affect performance much. I've used a magic eraser lightly on them, and it gets rid of the cloudyness, but eventually you'll wear off all the coating. The coating didn't start to fade until at least a year of ownership though. Are you using a cleaner on the panels? We only use water and a towel. Our renogy panels never frosted over, but the white plastic turned brown around the edges of the black panels, I'm guessing heat related damage.

We are feeling the winter pain as well. It's not your panels, it's the sun.

Luckily for us, in the summer the fridge/freezer and fans are running all the time. In the winter, not so much. If your panels can't keep up in the winter, you need more. Then in the summer you'll have power to spare.
autumnbreeze27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:26   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jamoco.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2017, 21:10   #51

I have bought 4 100w semis flexible panel 3 years ago I had to replace 3 already.
The company honor it's warranty but since I am now in Australia it was cheaper to buy news ones here.
catacelsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:51   #52
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy All!

I have started a new thread on CF that is to serve as an "Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats"

I hope you will participate in that thread too, by posting some photos and answering a few questions related to your own Solar Installations. The questions are easy but may help others.

The new thread is not intended to take away from this current discussion, but is intended to provide an easy way to look at a lot of different installations for ideas and information. I hope you will add to it too.

Here is a link to that thread:

Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats
Illustrated Guide to Solar Installations on Boats - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 06:37   #53

Does anyone have experience of the Sunbeam flexible panels being advertised by Budget Marine please? Or any other current flexi panels.
louisemevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 07:09   #54

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

On Ali.

They still had 100 W flex and the price was great. Like a hundred dollars. Figured that was worth a bite.

But they required me to copy and send a picture of my Credit Card before they would process my order.

Didn't won't.
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 18:34   #55
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Any links to decent but inexpensive flexible panels would be appreciated, especially space-efficient and ideally narrow form factor.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:09   #56

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Any links to decent but inexpensive flexible panels would be appreciated, especially space-efficient and ideally narrow form factor.
They are easy to order direct from China on Aliexpress.com. Look for flex solar panels made with Sunpower cells. Some of the vendors will configure the panels custom, so you can call out the number of cells and how many rows/columns.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2017, 20:37   #57

RECALL: RENOGY Flexible Solar Panels

See this article:

Renogy 100 watt flexible problem – svHotWire
mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 04:21   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
They are easy to order direct from China on Aliexpress.com. Look for flex solar panels made with Sunpower cells. Some of the vendors will configure the panels custom, so you can call out the number of cells and how many rows/columns.
Thanks, but looking for less risk, more convenience, just normal known-OK retail source where I can order a couple, get some more matching ones a few months later.
Old 21-03-2017, 04:23   #59
cruiser

Re: RECALL: RENOGY Flexible Solar Panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
Hasn't it been a while now since Renogy discontinued selling any more flex panels at all?

This is likely why.
Old 21-03-2017, 08:44   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisemevans View Post
Does anyone have experience of the Sunbeam flexible panels being advertised by Budget Marine please? Or any other current flexi panels.

I've got 2 of the Sunbeam Systems Tough panels installed, and just received 4 more. I really like these panels! I'm going to have 500 Watts total.
The T100f's are in high demand, so you might have to wait. I had to wait 1 1/2 months!
The US distributor wanted to charge me $160 shipping from the East coast. Instead, I ordered them Teknikhamstern in Sweden. Not only were they cheaper, but only 15 Euros shipping for 4 panels.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels