Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2017, 09:33   #1

Boat: Lock Crowther 150
Radar waves safe for humans?

Hi,
My radar used to be mounted on a tall pole well above deck, but I would like to mount it on top of the cabin. I sometimes sit on the cabin top while underway to keep watch. Are there health issues by being on the same level as the radar?
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 09:56   #2
cruiser

Re: Radar waves safe for humans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Hi,
My radar used to be mounted on a tall pole well above deck, but I would like to mount it on top of the cabin. I sometimes sit on the cabin top while underway to keep watch. Are there health issues by being on the same level as the radar?
Yes they are safe, but the more important issue is the height of radar and you blocking the signal. You want it mounted as high as possible for better coverage if I'm not mistaken... and I might be.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 10:25   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Radar waves are generally safe, especially at distances beyond a few meters, but personally, I wouldn't want to want to be sitting that close to the radar and having the beam firing at my private parts. Or at my head.

There are (apocryphal?) stories of seabirds flying through the beam of high-power radars and bursting into flames, but our recreational radars transmit at a vastly lower power.

The subject gets complicated when we start talking about microwave heating, cell damage and mutation, pulse vs CW (or FMCW) radars, etc. I believe the studies that show that low-power microwaves aren't particularly dangerous, but other smart people would disagree with that. Look at the cellphone / cancer connection (or non-connection) debates for example.

I would avoid unnecessary close proximity.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 10:30   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

For long duration exposure, even the small radars we mount can be hazardous. I would not want to be exposed for no good reason like this. As well as mounting the radar lower will limit the horizon distance as well as increase the clutter the radar is blocked by. All in all, for my money, this is an awful idea.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 10:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Besides the reduced range, the radar may be affected by the other items on the top and the top itself.
Your microwave/radar range is the same technology. It heats meat. In the navy, we cooked steaks with the firecontrol radar.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:01   #6
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Yes they are safe, but the more important issue is the height of radar and you blocking the signal. You want it mounted as high as possible for better coverage if I'm not mistaken... and I might be.
I didn't realize that you planned on almost sitting on the thing and would risk frying your testicles... forget what I wrote.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:04   #7

Boat: 97 Hunter 430 43 ft.

Wouldn't it be better to use real info than just ask a bunch of people you don't know?

WHO | Electromagnetic fields and public health: radars and human health

Marine radars can be found on small pleasure boats to large ocean going vessels. Peak powers of these systems can reach up to 30 kW, with average powers ranging from 1 to 25 W. Under normal operating conditions, with the antenna rotating, the average power density of the higher power systems within a metre of the antenna is usually less than 10 W/m2. In accessible areas on most watercraft, these levels would fall to a few percent of present public RF exposure standards.
Tkeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:05   #8

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Yes, Radar transmissions are technically hazardous, especially at the bands these radars operate in. How hazardous for a given model depends on its power (mainly), frequency, and how close you are to it.

I would not want to sit in front of one for a long period. Whilst the amounts of power are small, and the pulses tiny, prolonged exposure to it can't be good and is worth avoiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
There are (apocryphal?) stories of seabirds flying through the beam of high-power radars and bursting into flames, but our recreational radars transmit at a vastly lower power.
Burst into flames, no, never seen that. Fall pretty much dead from the sky, Yup. However this very close to a ship-born 1MW ContiniousWave fire control Radar. Its effective power vs a boats 20W Nav Radar is (from memory) approx 1 billion times stronger. (Combination of Power, and pulse rate) So we arn't even in the same ballpark here.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 11:14   #9

Boat: J/42

Side note: I once heard James Lovelock claim that he invented the Radar Range way before Raytheon patented it, as a means for warming premature babies.
I suppose you could keep yourself warm on deck...
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 15:29   #10

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Amazon sells some radiation proof underwear to protect the family jewels!

http://amzn.to/2wryaVS

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 15:55   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Radar waves safe for humans?

For what it's worth, the B&G 4 G supposedly has a lower RF output than a cell phone.
I still wouldn't want to nearly sit on it though
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 16:20   #12

Boat: Camano Troll

I say they are unsafe but what do I know. Ask the manufacturer of your specific model.

This is the sort of question that you shouldn't rely on answers from a boating forum. If you follow the wrong advice you could be harmed now or later.
Old 24-08-2017, 17:42   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkeeth View Post
Wouldn't it be better to use real info than just ask a bunch of people you don't know?

WHO | Electromagnetic fields and public health: radars and human health

Marine radars can be found on small pleasure boats to large ocean going vessels. Peak powers of these systems can reach up to 30 kW, with average powers ranging from 1 to 25 W. Under normal operating conditions, with the antenna rotating, the average power density of the higher power systems within a metre of the antenna is usually less than 10 W/m2. In accessible areas on most watercraft, these levels would fall to a few percent of present public RF exposure standards.
That last sentence (I bolded it) is the key. On most watercraft you wouldn't be able to sit right next to the radome. In most cases the radar is mounted so the plane of radiation is well above head-level (this is for range as well as for safety).
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 08:36   #14

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Look up the manual for your radar unit on line is you don't have a copy. It gives safe mounting instructions and safe exposure distances as part of compliance with radiation safety codes. Never mind the family jewels (most of us are too old to need them!!!!) your eyes are very sensitive to microwave energy.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 09:02   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

They say the new radars are safe. If yours is old you night as well crawl in your microwave oven.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar