Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2017, 12:02   #1

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435
Alternator disconnected from battery while running : Risk ?

Oh you electric wizard ,
If the alternator is disconnected from battery while the engine is still is running does the alternator or its voltage regulator risk being damaged ?

According to some old rumors the answer would be yes, internal rectifying diodes were supposed to suffer from over-voltage .

But do you know whether this still applies with modern alternators and regulators ?
Old 08-09-2017, 02:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Alternator disconnected from battery while running : Risk ?

Absolutely if you consider Balmar alternators modern. It is catastrophic.
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 04:47   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Yes, it still applies. You might get lucky and only damage the diodes and not destroy them, but they will fail at a later date.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 05:51   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GALAWA View Post
Oh you electric wizard ,
If the alternator is disconnected from battery while the engine is still is running does the alternator or its voltage regulator risk being damaged ?

According to some old rumors the answer would be yes, internal rectifying diodes were supposed to suffer from over-voltage .

But do you know whether this still applies with modern alternators and regulators ?
More than just a rumour.

The problem occurs because of output current is interrupted thus its EM field collapses cutting the stator coils of the alternator. This sudden collapse of the field through the coils creates the voltage spike that kills the diodes.

The size of the spike is directly proportional to the size of the output current at the time it is interrupted i.e. large current, large spike and vice versa.

Modern alternators have the same coils and the same diode packs so the problem remains the same.

Note, the regulator itself is not affected.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 14:23   #5
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Absolutely, yes.

What scenario were you contemplating where this may happen?

There are protective devices supposed to absorb the sudden load dump, and special switches to prevent the problem, but best practice is to always ensure there is a place for output to go.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 16:49   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE]There are protective devices supposed to absorb the sudden load dump, and special switches to prevent the problem, but best practice is to always ensure there is a place for output to go.
/QUOTE]

Or switch off the field supply first... then is is ok to disconnect the output while running.

Jim
Old 08-09-2017, 17:38   #7

GALAWA:
My guess is that your concern is when you click your 1 2 all none switch from 1 to all or 2 to all when changing batteries, or may be that when someone is switching from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1, instead of going through all they will go through None, am I correct? I think this cost me an alternator one time.
Thanks.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 17:59   #8

Boat: Valiant 42

You can buy zener diodes that "protect" the alternator diodes. Zap Stop is a brand. But you can buy the diodes pretty cheaply from Digi-Key or Mouser in the US. Farnell in EU may have them.

All they do is stop the voltage from rising too high and causing the rectifiers to avalanche. These protective diodes don't have to handle a lot of power.

Disconnecting the field circuit before disconnecting the battery is a good idea. Some battery switches include a small extra switch for this purpose.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 18:13   #9
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Or switch off the field supply first... then is is ok to disconnect the output while running.
That's what I meant, like Blue Sea's AFD feature on its 1/2/B/O switches.

But apparently (per MS) even experienced pro's often fail to wire these properly, same as the Start Isolation feature on their ACRs.

It's not "while engine running" that's the problem, it's "while alt is outputting".

It's also good to be able to shut off field current from the helm, for situations where you need all power for propulsion.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 07:49   #10

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
It's also good to be able to shut off field current from the helm, for situations where you need all power for propulsion.
My older Volvo does not have a fuel shutoff solenoid so the "ignition" switch does not turn off the engine, only the alternator field. Thus, it is easy to safely shutdown the alternator with the engine running via the "ignition" switch.

As implied above, it would be straightforward to add this feature to engines that do disable fuel flow via the "ignition" switch.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:07   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
My older Volvo does not have a fuel shutoff solenoid so the "ignition" switch does not turn off the engine, only the alternator field. Thus, it is easy to safely shutdown the alternator with the engine running via the "ignition" switch.

As implied above, it would be straightforward to add this feature to engines that do disable fuel flow via the "ignition" switch.
Just be sure it is actually cutting the brush/field wire and not just a 12V excite wire. Once an alt is excited you can remove 12V from the excite wire and most alts will still keep going. Interrupting a 12V excite is not the same as cutting the field and this is often confused..
Old 10-09-2017, 14:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Just be sure it is actually cutting the brush/field wire and not just a 12V excite wire. Once an alt is excited you can remove 12V from the excite wire and most alts will still keep going. Interrupting a 12V excite is not the same as cutting the field and this is often confused..
MS:

Very good point, thanks.

... but:

How does one tell? In my case, the switch shuts off power to the Balmar external regulator, which then controls the alternator. I have on occasion switched it off and to date with no ill effects. I do know (from my battery monitor) that the alternator is not generating with the switch off.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03   #13

Boat: Valiant 42
Alternator disconnected from battery while running : Risk ?

Jim,

If the VR has no power then the field circuit should be well and truly off. Assuming it is installed per Balmar instructions.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
MS:

Very good point, thanks.

... but:

How does one tell? In my case, the switch shuts off power to the Balmar external regulator, which then controls the alternator. I have on occasion switched it off and to date with no ill effects. I do know (from my battery monitor) that the alternator is not generating with the switch off.
Sorry I assumed from the post you had a stock Volvo alternator.. With an external regulator, shutting the regulator off cuts field and thus de-powers the alternator safely...
Old 11-09-2017, 12:50   #15

TD, MS:
Thanks. Always something to learn.

Tags
alternator, battery