Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-07-2019, 06:09   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Old Merlin "Smartgauge" (that Balmar used to sell)

This is a new thread for those who wish to discuss particulars about the
The thread for the new
Balmar SG-200 Battery Moniter
is here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...or-209056.html
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 07:51   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: Old Merlin "Smartgauge" (that Balmar used to sell)

Has Balmar discontinued selling the Merlin SmartGauge?
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 08:04   #3

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
This is a new thread for those who wish to discuss particulars about the[INDENT]Old Merlin "Smartgauge" (that Balmar used to sell)...
The Old Merlin Smartgauge (that Balmar used to sell) is very relevant to the new SG-200 Smartgauge that Balmar is now trying sell - that is why there are so many posts on the thread:

Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 08:08   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post
The Old Merlin Smartgauge (that Balmar used to sell) is very relevant to the new SG-200 Smartgauge that Balmar is now trying sell - that is why there are so many posts on the thread:

Balmar SG-200 Battery Monitor

Is it? I’d guess that it’s based on the old one, but as I have zero idea of how the old one worked, that just a wild guess.
Besides I’m pretty sure we don’t know how the new one works either?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 08:45   #5
cruiser

Balmar is very emphatic that no connection be made between the two, since neither Gibbo, the original developer of the SmartGauge while under military contracts, nor the company Merlin, that bought him out shortly thereafter, had **any** input into the development of the Balmar SG-200.

However, the "Active Impedance Compensation" side of the SG-200, (AIC)

as opposed to the more prosaic coulomb-counting technology side, (AHC) which it shares with Link Pro, Victron BMV, Magnum BMK, etc,

does functionally have much in common with how the Merlin SmartGauge operates. This is made clear in the early interviews and trade press articles as the product was being initially revealed and around the time of its "alpha release" last year, I believe thoroughly covered early in the SG-200 thread linked to above.

Prior to the SG-200, Gibbo's SmartGauge was unique, and according to many whose opinion I respect, the most accurate SoC meter in the consumer market. Which of course isn't saying much, all such devices providing a rough guesstimate at best.

The technology details for the use of this "impedance measuring" technology in both devices are proprietary trade secrets of their respective firms, but involve terms like spectroscopy, electrochemical impedance, AC impedance spectrography, high frequency conductance tests etc.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2519500

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=2747251
Old 22-07-2019, 13:18   #6

Boat: 1977 GulfStar 40 (Ted Hood)

I know this is an aside question but started with a Balmar. I've looked in the CF history logs and find none... My Balmar died and I replaced it with a 100 amp charger with internal regulator....worked great for 2 years then stopped charging. In the process of sussing out what the problem was we tricked the alternator to start charging again but was putting out 15.2 or more volts when it normally charged up at 13.7 to 14.2.....Chose to replace it and the new one also puts out 15.2....I would like not to cook my 3 AGMs.... so am looking for some sage advise short of crippling the internal and installing an exterior regulator.
Lodbrog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 13:24   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodbrog1 View Post
I know this is an aside question but started with a Balmar. I've looked in the CF history logs and find none... My Balmar died and I replaced it with a 100 amp charger with internal regulator....worked great for 2 years then stopped charging. In the process of sussing out what the problem was we tricked the alternator to start charging again but was putting out 15.2 or more volts when it normally charged up at 13.7 to 14.2.....Chose to replace it and the new one also puts out 15.2....I would like not to cook my 3 AGMs.... so am looking for some sage advise short of crippling the internal and installing an exterior regulator.
Best to start a new thread, and when you try to be more clear about exactly what specific models you're talking about.

This topic is the SmartGauge battery SoC monitor, nothing to do with chargers, alternators, regulators or the like.
Old 22-07-2019, 13:27   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe your talking about an alternator?
You may have simply bypassed the internal regulator.
My advice is if you plan on it being a primary charge source, buy an external regulator, If you don’t and only run the engine rarely etc. replace or have the internal one replaced,
I’d start by taking it to a shop that overhauls alternators if you don’t want an external regulator, I’d assume they can fix it.

13.8 to 14.2 was the automotive spec for back in the day when I was working on cars, I’m not sure when or why the voltage has been increased, maybe an overhaul shop would know, spec voltage for aircraft is still 14 plus or minus .2V, most all aircraft actually use automotive alternators, so I know 14 is achievable.

You could of course build your own adjustable external regulator, that not hard, just as long as you don’t want programming, then that is to me, hard.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 14:10   #9

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Thanks Guys, much appreciated
Good point about this product, it is here on the Balmar website:
http://www.balmar.net/products/smart...ttery-monitor/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2019, 18:29   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
13.8 to 14.2 was the automotive spec for back in the day when I was working on cars, I’m not sure when or why the voltage has been increased
Well AGM's required higher, marine world the proliferation of House banks, but automotive, it's gone back down in the super mpg world, except while regenerative braking.

Transpo 911-02R is a cheap adjustable VR, 14 - 20V, but pretty bare bones, no current limiting, nor Float

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00OBTZ8OE

Mechman and Excessive rebadge them too. . .
Old 23-07-2019, 02:20   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Balmar Smartgauge Manual ➥ https://productimageserver.com/liter...al/69075OM.pdf
Or ➥ http://www.balmar.net/wp-content/upl...-SG-1224-3.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balmar