Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2016, 10:48   #1

Boat: Beneteau OC 41.1
No Negative Battery Switch or Battery Selector

Would like you get advice on my current battery configuration. On my 2006 Dufour 34, there are two positive (red) master battery switches - one for the two house batteries and one for engine battery. There is not a negative (black) master battery switch. There is also no battery selector switch (1,All, 2 Off).

Is there a concern with not having a negative master battery switch?

With two master battery switches, is there a purpose served by adding a battery selector switch, or is that redundant?
B-to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 10:57   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: No Negative Battery Switch or Battery Selector

I can't think of anything you could do with one master that you couldn't do with two.
Just have to have a little more smarts to operate two.
I've never seen the neg switched, I do not think it a good idea.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 10:57   #3

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-to View Post
Would like you get advice on my current battery configuration. On my 2006 Dufour 34, there are two positive (red) master battery switches - one for the two house batteries and one for engine battery. There is not a negative (black) master battery switch. There is also no battery selector switch (1,All, 2 Off).

Is there a concern with not having a negative master battery switch?

With two master battery switches, is there a purpose served by adding a battery selector switch, or is that redundant?
Can't say, in my year of research into rewiring my batteries, I ran across a concern about a negative switch.

As for the positive switches, I doubt you need to add a selector switch to what you have. Maine Sail and Stu Jackson have written extensively on how the house and starter banks should be wired. See link below. If your bank is wired like one of the options or can be rewired to match, you are good to go.

Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 11:02   #4

Boat: Albin Vega 27'

Well generally most systems do not have a negative off switch, it is considered good enough just to disconnect the positive.

Marine wiring can be very complex area and there are multiple threads here on it.

I would recommend to get you started: Basic Battery Wiring Diagrams
Old 26-01-2016, 15:21   #5

Boat: Beneteau OC 41.1

Thank you for the replies, it was appreciated.
B-to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 17:03   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

A single battery selector switch (1-2-both-off) is a convenience, nothing more or less. I believe Beneteau used the separate switches on some models as well, and the point can be made that they are cheaper and simpler.

I've heard of battery negative switches being installed, to ensure the battery is cut off from any possible grounding/galvanic issues, but at least on US market boats, it is virtually unheard of. If your grounding and bonding are done properly, there should be no need or advantage to it, just "more stuff to fail". Although if you bury it well enough, you could justify it as a "secret switch" for security, making the boat harder to steal.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 17:47   #7
Eternal Member

I've run across a number of negative battery switches on European-made boats. As hellosailer said, they're non-existent on U.S.-produced boats, and I can see no good reason to have them.

I like the separate switches much better than the ubiquitous 1-2-Both-Off switches, because with this system you are less likely to make a mistake.

One ON-OFF switch connects the start battery to the engine solenoid/starter.

A second ON-OFF switch connects the house batteries to the house loads.

I like to install a third ON-OFF switch to be used as an emergency combiner switch, so that either battery bank (house or start) can be used to power the boat.
Click image for larger version

Name:	3Switches_2.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	117721

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 19:05   #8

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

It is common to have a negative switch between the batteries and the engine block on metal boats (to reduce hull electrolysis). House negative will typically not be switched as the house consumers can easily be 100% isolated from the hull.

Steve

Note: I still need to break out the label maker like btrayfors did above.
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:22   #9

Boat: Santa Cruz 50

Hi:

I have one specific instance of the use ( and need) of a negative disconnect. I have installed a solenoid on the negative to my windlass. I was able to avoid using the zinc of my chain as a galvanic sacrificial. My chain, specifically the 1st 5 ft in the water, lasted longer in the tropic. The negative to the diesel engine creates a loop through the prop shaft and/or the heat exchangers. The zinc in that circuit of diesel motor/anchor windlass is your chain galvanizing.

It is simple to energize the solenoid to engage only when the breaker to the windlass is switched on.

David

s/v Incantation SC 50
sailboatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 08:26   #10

Boat: Tradewind 33, 33 foot, Parker 27 , 26 foot

error message
Martkimwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:47   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post

I like to install a third ON-OFF switch to be used as an emergency combiner switch, so that either battery bank (house or start) can be used to power the boat.
Attachment 117721

Bill
Bill-We have accomplished the same thing with a momentary push button switch on the instrument panel that activates a solenoid that links the house batteries and start battery to allow one to use the house batteries to start the engine if necessary.

In re: the OP's question, I can see no benefit to a Negative switch in addition to switches on the positive side of a circuit.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 09:58   #12
Marine Service Provider

Blue Sea makes a single rotating switch that does everything you will need on a small boat: Top position is all OFF. 90 degrees clockwise is ON for both HOUSE and START but the two are isolated from each other. 180 degrees clockwise is ON for both HOUSE and START but they are ganged together for emergency starts. I know, I know, what happen if it fails? Well if you don't have the proper tools and spare parts (extra cable & clamps) onboard and the knowledge and skill to use them perhaps you shouldn't go to sea
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:07   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If you interrupt the neg. side from the battery about every neg. lead on your boat become a pos. through your equipment if the pos. hasn't been. Someone else may comment on the possible effects of your electronic not having a path to ground?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2016, 11:29   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
It is common to have a negative switch between the batteries and the engine block on metal boats (to reduce hull electrolysis). House negative will typically not be switched as the house consumers can easily be 100% isolated from the hull.

Steve

Note: I still need to break out the label maker like btrayfors did above.

Trying to follow your layout and would love to see what is doing what. Please post once you get it labeled

edit: looks like the left switch is for start bank, center is to combine, right is house bank, and the bottom switch is for neg off. Do you have the neg floating? If so, does it connect to both banks before the switch?

Matt
Old 27-01-2016, 11:34   #15

Boat: Swanson

Simply, there is nothing wrong to implement negative switch.
Could be even reason behind, for example in case the house & start.
batteries are weak. ...switch them both in serial combination
to star the engine. On the other hand in your house wiring to disconnect
anything else than active is illegal .
Tikka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery