Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2008, 12:34   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silver heels View Post
According to the manuals the Link 20 uses 25 mA in sleep mode light bar, the morningside sunsaver duo uses 5.5 mA(night) and 10.0 mA(charging).
Silver Heels
25ma is, still 18ahr month, but much more reasonable. I suspect something else must be on when the battery switch is off. Disconnect one of the battery terminals and use a multimeter to measure the current with the battery switch off.
The only other possibility I can imagine is the algorithm or formula the Link20 uses. Most battery monitory compensate for the fact that amp hours in does not equal amp hours out. If you take out 20Ahrs from battery you need to put back something like 24Ahrs to break even. So a battery monitor that counts Ahrs in and simply subtracts Ahrs out is not acurate. Different battery monitors adjust for this in different ways. I dont think this is the cause of your readings, but depending how this comensation is done it can lead to some spurios conclusions about energy consumed or put back.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 12:49   #17

Thanks for all the advice, I do believe I have found the culprit. A West Marine Battery Combiner switch. Without the switch usage drops down to what the Link 20 and solar controller would use in a month. I will be also installing a new battery switch.
Silver Heels
silver heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 13:44   #18

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Buying anything with a Worst Marine label on it is a crap shoot.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 15:20   #19
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

From Yandina (who actually make the West isolators) "Draws no current when batteries are not being charged ".

So, either there's something wrong with the combiner, or it is simply drwaing power because the batteries are being charged--and it is active, comparing them. I'd email Yandina directly to find out if this is an issue, and if it can be corrected.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2008, 16:34   #20

Actually, the battery combiner works as advertised, it does use amps when it combines the batteries. The amps it uses, plus what the monitors use, plus the small leakage through the switch adds up to what was lost.
I'm satisfied.
Silver Heels
silver heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2008, 02:53   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
From Yandina (who actually make the West isolators) ... I'd email Yandina directly to find out if this is an issue, and if it can be corrected.
Yandina Ltd.
P.O. Box 1582,
BEAUFORT, SC 29901
Technical Information, Troubleshooting: tech@yandina.com
or
Toll Free: 877-355-2184

Yandina manufactured marine electronic devices under the West Marine brand name from 1993 to 2005. The new retail distributor starting 2006 is Defender.

Home: Yandina Marine Electronics
Manuals: Manuals Index
Help: Combiner Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks