Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2019, 12:04   #16

Boat: Nordic 44
Re: I’d like to setup a small galley

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinuxo View Post
Why not a small butane, propane, white gas or non-pressured alcohol stove?
Much simpler, lighter, more compact, more tolerant of the marine environment and cheaper.
Good advice. Pretty silly to start a generator every time you want a cup of coffee. For a 22 footer a canned butane single burner stove makes a lot of sense.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 12:09   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Not a good idea to use a starting battery for house loads. Best to use a deep cycle battery. Best bang for the buck, go to Sams and pick up two GC2 size 6v golf cart batteries, $85/each, plus core charge and tax. 220ah at 12v for 2.62 kwhrs if you connect them in series. Then get a 200w solar panel, which will also give you shade depending on how you mount it, and a cheap Chinese solar charge controller. Learn how to maintain deep cycle batteries. Proper maintenance will allow you to get at least 5 years of use out of them. This will be a great setup for day trips, powering your cell, laptop, VHF, etc.

The generator can indeed kill. Statistically not likely, but yeah it is a thing, and when it kills you, you dead, game over, no time for regrets or starting over again the right way. I have ran a portable gen in the cockpit but with due attention to ventilation before going below even for a minute.

Next time you are in Worst Marine, check out the Magma Kettle grill. Mounts on your pushpit rail or there is a mount you can stick in a fishing rod holder. Great little grill, uses the small propane bottle a little smaller than a football. If you like to live dangerously you can refill them from a standard tank ASHORE. Don't do this on a boat. Keep the hatch closed when messing with propane and stuff, or the generator. CO alarm, yes. Get one. Most of them suck but even the sucky ones can possibly save your life. Anyway I have a Magma on my small boat and I rather like it. Great for grilling steaks and stuff. Another good option is a MSR Whisperlite backpacker stove, burns diesel or kerosene, both relatively safe fuels though they do of course produce some CO as do all petroleum fuels. You will need to fabricate a mount for it to hold it securely and provide support for a cooking pot on a rolling boat. The MSR is a regulated burner and so you don't have to constantly fiddle with it once you got it lit and the fuel bottle pumped up. Very nice little unit for casual/occasional cooking, about $120 I think with fuel bottle included. I also have a Butterfly brand diesel/kero burner modified with an aftermarket regulated burner and fitted to a SeaSwing stove gimbal. This is a very clean burning stove but even so, in three hours with the hatches closed the CO reaches dangerous levels. I have checked. With both hatches open and any wind at all, no prob. Keep in mind that I do know what I am doing, so cooking outside with hatches CLOSED is my recommendation. Non pressurized alcohol stoves put out less CO than petroleum or solid fueled stoves. However they seem to produce the most water vapor, the flame is invisible in daylight, (dangerous!) and it takes forever to cook something compared to cooking on diesel or even propane. I know, I have used one. Fuel is a bit pricey, too, compared to low sulfur road diesel, for the same BTUs. But an alcohol fire is easy to put out with just water, and if you use everclear you can drink the same fuel that the stove drinks. Practically zero odor. So lots of cons but a few pros as well. Personally, I like diesel burners. My big boat has a propane stove but I just bought the boat and the propane stove is probably coming out, diesel going in. Once I install a diesel generator, a lot of electric appliances will be added. I really like my electric pressure cookers. Very efficient. Very little heat lost to the atmosphere. The outside of the cooker barely gets warm. I love my superautomatic espresso machine, too. And yeah, an induction plate is really nice, too.
Old 27-01-2019, 13:25   #18

Boat: Scout 30

I think positioning the generator on the swim platform pointing to the side is the safest place to put it. If there's any kind of breeze it will carry the CO away from the boat. I would not run it in a dead calm. I would also refill it there & keep a fire extinguisher handy. However, a non-pressurized alcohol stove would be the safest way to cook. Having it on the bow is probably the worst place you could put it as any breeze will create a vacuum behind the pilothouse which will suck the CO into the cabin.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 13:48   #19

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

As many noted, a propne hot plate should work well Minimal safety concerns with 1 lb. cannisters. Really all you need. You lack the juice for a microwave and no need to spend space and $ for an alcohol stove. My first (GRAMPIAN 26) HAD ONE AND WAS A.minot PTA to pressurize each time I used.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 14:09   #20

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Those little bottle fed propane stoves are great, however storage of the spare cans is a risk in itself. I can’t find the article, but there was a link to it here on one thread, in which a can had rusted in a locker and dumped its fuel load into the boat. There was enough fuel in that single can to demolish the boat and seriously injure the occupant.
Old 27-01-2019, 14:18   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
As many noted, a propne hot plate should work well Minimal safety concerns with 1 lb. cannisters. Really all you need. You lack the juice for a microwave and no need to spend space and $ for an alcohol stove. My first (GRAMPIAN 26) HAD ONE AND WAS A.minot PTA to pressurize each time I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-ORIGO...a-523277490667
Old 27-01-2019, 14:20   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

I’d choose an Origo single burner alcohol stove for your use. Alcohol is about the safest fuel you can carry on a boat and the non pressurized Origo is very easy to use. My wife never complained about cooking on our Origo��
Old 27-01-2019, 16:18   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
https:
Here is a much more reasonable option.

//www.amazon.com/dp/B01N27XP3W/ref=psdc_13838451_t2_B076DVQTDP
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2019, 17:49   #24

I appreciate the concern about the generators fumes. Never had a generator before but am aware of the CO fumes the initial startup of gen was smelly 2 stroke like fumes and a lot of sleep preventing noise.

gen. won’t be used when sleeping. Still think on the bow would be the least chance of CO fumes entering cabin. Cabin isn’t intirely airtight side windows are inzeglass snapped into place rear enclosed bulkhead is less atp. To enter fumes.

I thought the safest way to have a galley would be induction hot plate w/out a open flame. I’m concerned my 2 six gallon reserve fuel tanks omit fumes and are stored on the aft.deck unlike my saddle fuel tanks which both have vents to outside of vessel.

I actually have a propane camping stove it has never be taken out of box in fear of blowing myself up also have a gasoline burning coleman like this https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Series-...gasoline+stove
Haven’t used it yet, kindof had myself talked into only using it on land the fuel tank requires pumping presurizing the fuel I assume this could be unsafe on land also?

About the live well’s there are two, first a 5 gallon bucket which discharge tube discharges at 4 gallon mark, second 22 Gallon, both feed by a 500GPH bilge pump into spary nozzle so new water is constantly being circulated, water enters near the top and discharges out a discharge tube.

if I have a lot of bait in either container will circulate more often the plan is to use battery operated air pumps at night time, the constant discharge of live well prevents me from sleeping.
Thanks
Old 27-01-2019, 19:03   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

He did say the deep fryer was for LAND CAMPING, only tsunami wakes will rock that.

I'd also vote for either a good Coleman dual-burner propane camping stove, or something small and robust from MSR (variety of fuels, liquid or gaseous) if he wanted something even smaller. Might as well just use direct fuel and a burner, and not have to worry about generator monoxide, and noise, and all the other issues, just for what, one burner?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 05:00   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
not have to worry about generator monoxide, and noise, and all the other issues, just for what, one burner?
add AC a decent galley should have air i cruise the Gulf of Mexico and in summer it's extremely hot.

so I'd like to mount gen.so it won't flop overboard I can cover the top of gen. and deflect majority of smelly fumes w/ a sportbrella and use it for AC,hotplate,refrigerator/freezer & replenish house battery curious about power requirements of each device I desire on board. all ready know the hotplate is 1300 watts on high however this is maxium heat the wattage use can be decreased down to 600 watts for HP.

maybe the dive platform is the best location for the gen. attach a couple images of stern and DP w/ a following sea shield so to speak of.

as for spilling fuel on a hot gen well sounds like a foolish person to not use a funnel.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	done1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	184613   Click image for larger version

Name:	lip2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	184614  

Click image for larger version

Name:	lip1.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	184615  
Old 28-01-2019, 06:08   #27

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

I like deep frying. But I only use my portable deep fryer when I can set it on the dock, off our 45' boat. I will not deep-fry aboard my vessel.
When we had a 23' sloop, I removed the alcohol stove and used a portable, 2-burner propane camp stove. It served us well and I managed to cook fine meals in some stormy anchorages. I also had a 2-burner electric "hot plate" type that I used when we had shore power.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 06:23   #28

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Steve1,
Consider a group 24, 27, or 31 instead of something smaller. It sounds like you have ample charging capability whenever you travel. I think you'll find the small battery almost useless. I used one for a small water pump for placer mining and it only worked when I set up an 80 watt solar panel to keep it charged.
And consider propane instead of electric, except when shore power is available. You're ideas are good and "do able". But there are reasons about efficiency and convenience that make propane a better choice. (And just one wave onto your swim platform could seriously damage your generator.)
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2019, 06:25   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
https:
Here is a much more reasonable option.

//www.amazon.com/dp/B01N27XP3W/ref=psdc_13838451_t2_B076DVQTDP

If it's less safe it might not be considered more reasonable but it's certainly cheaper. Butane is actually heavier than propane & so if it leaks it will collect in the bilge where it can become explosive. In a typical sailboat where the living area is below deck this can be a safety issue although with the OP's boat this may not be as much of an issue. Typically storing the fuel canisters below decks is not smart but when the stove is in use it's pretty safe. Just unscrew the canister & store it in a locker that's vented overboard when done cooking.

Comparing the Origo to a cheap camping stove is kind of apples to oranges. While the Origo is expensive it is all stainless steel & will last forever. It's also the safest way to cook & very easy to use.
Old 28-01-2019, 10:10   #30
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Even with a funnel, you spill fuel. Gasoline is very good at igniting from vapors as well as fuel slicks, which is one reason why generator manuals usually tell you to LET IT COOL DOWN before attempting to refuel. If the tank is too small for that regular use, you're supposed to get a bigger tank, or generator. The small portable units designed for tailgating are not intended to be used for long days and nights. Yes, you can, as long as you're aware of the issues.

As to the power requirements of what you want to use onboard? RTFM.

These days there are online manuals and spec sheets for just about everything, and they will tell you the power consumption in watts for every device you want to use. And, the start-up surge for air conditioners is well documented, it may be double what the nominal working current is.

You need a bigger boat.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
galley