Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 08:52   #46
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: I can't stand my wind gen...

This is an interesting thread.

I appreciate everyone who is contributing their experiences and opinions.

I have long been interested in Solar and Wind generating but I am in no way suggesting I am experienced with them or an expert on the topic. I do not own any of the gear yet, so I am still in my "research" mode. I have NO connection to any of the brands and no investment in them, no brand loyalty, and no connection to any of the dealers or sellers. I am only posting what I find on the net related to the topic.

Video of Superwind 350.

It is on a house, but the recording does pick up other sounds (birds, human voice, street traffic, tree leaves). The sound of the unit? It appears quiet.

Superwind 350W 24V Test

Here is a short video produced by Practical Sailor, who judged the SuperWind as one of the best in their article.

Unfortunately, no video of the unit in operation and no test of the sound it makes.

The company rep says: "Wind works where you have wind…if you are in an area like St. Pete, where there is not enough wind…it may not "

He mentions the unit is a commercial unit, and cost may be $2299 but includes several things. He adds that with an aluminum or stainless mast and installation it may be $2800 to $3000 so it is important to consider if the boat is in an area with enough wind.

I also found a video clip produced by Yachting Monthly magazine, that is a teaser about their testing numerous wind turbines.

Unfortunately, it is just a teaser and does not show anything useful. They want you to read the magazine of course.

And, I found their testing methodology flawed. Why? They put the different units, one at a time, on a Land Rover with a rig and drove down a dirt road to a set speed. ???

Not a very good way to judge that sound the units make, which is one of the factors we are discussing in this thread.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:01   #47

Boat: Brent Swain design 36' steel sloop

to cut down on the howling i did some investigation and found some have tried a thread glued approx. 20% back fom the leading edge as a "flow interuptor". if you look carefully at photos of the newr blades there is a raised zig zag pattern. Haven't tried it yet. Was going to use bricklayer string and clear Mulco roof goop since it seemed to really stick. easy to take off if doesn't work
sunbear1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:15   #48

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ D View Post
Hello forum,

I had a KISS wind generator sitting in the lazarette for years, and finally got around to installing it. I hate it. I'd never been around one in 20 knots or more before, and the noise it produces when it starts to whine is just about like nails on a chalkboard to me.

Sure, I like the high output, but I would trade a little less power to get my blessed silence back. We pretty much have the thing shut off all the time anyway.

Anybody have some good experience with a silent one? We obviously still want some output, but I just don't want to feel like I'm next to a jet turbine in everything over 20 knots...

Suggestions solicited! There just might be a very good deal on a KISS to be had here soon as well.

Thanks, TJ
Don't know what the problem is. I have had a Kiss wind generator mounted halfway up my mizzenmast for three years now. I can hardly hear it when it runs, even in High wind. Maybe it is a problem with your mount. Mine has the Kiss mount that is robber isolated.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-09-2015, 09:30   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
SuperWind 350 is probably the quietest and highest output wind generator on the market. SilentWind is a cheap imitation.

SuperWinds are made of the highest quality material and when I bought mine in 2008, it was quiet enough. When I was close-hauled in a strong wind, what little noise the blades were making would tell me when I was "in the groove". SuperWind introduced a new blade design that makes it ever quieter than it already is.

In fact, the new blades are so quiet, that if I am on anchor and in the cabin, I have to actually look to see if the generator's blades are spinning at all.

I have the voltage regulator that prevents my AGMs from overcharging and I bought the stop switch. I couldn't imagine trying to turn a wind generator sideways or backwards and trying to lasso them to keep them from turning.

In extreme winds (such as I haven't experienced) the blades of the SuperWind feather, like the big wind generators. I think the unit is rated for over 100 kts.

I regularly can cruise for 6 weeks or longer without resorting to shore power to charge my 5 series 31 AGMs.

Crossing the Atlantic in 2009, my crew decided on night to turn on all the lights and all the nav equipment. In the morning, the batteries were too low to start the engine and we were sailing downwind with the spinnaker so the SuperWind wasn't putting out much. We stopped the boat for about an hour and the SuperWind charged up the batteries enough to start the engine.

This is definitely a case of "You get what you pay for." SuperWinds ain't cheap, but I have had zero problems in 6 years.

On one occasion a crewman raised a boathook too high and broke one of the blades. I had a new set the following day delivered by FedEx.

Great product, great company, great service.

Great post, but then I'm obviously biased.
SuperWind350s are not for everybody. If you're a weekend sailor or just a few weeks out of the year sailor the cheaper units will probably work fine for you. SuperWinds are designed for heavy commercial use. Offshore Tsunami and wave detectors use SuperWind350 generators that don't see human interaction sometimes for years and take the abuse the oceans can throw at them. 40-50knt winds mean nothing to these units, they see far greater force winds than that a thousand miles off shore without over spinning, over charging, or wearing out bearings. SuperWind blades are the blades the others have copied because SuperWind has spent tons on R&D to make the quietest wind generator. SuperWind carbon fiber blades and replacement blades only come as a matched set that are balanced at the factory. If you are a serious cruising boat then serious equipment comes at a price. As George above states and it certainly applies here, you get what you pay for. Cheaper is very expensive when you have to buy twice.

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:37   #50

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
Don't know what the problem is. I have had a Kiss wind generator mounted halfway up my mizzenmast for three years now. I can hardly hear it when it runs, even in High wind. Maybe it is a problem with your mount. Mine has the Kiss mount that is robber isolated.

Al, S/V Finlandia
I met a cruiser recently who had installed something else (unremembered at this moment). His manufacturer thought so much of the isolation mount they make he was told to use that for his mount.

I also have one, installed at the time John replaced the one which he'd installed in our initial refit; it blew off in a gale which ended with us getting a SS basket ride from the red helicopter, and he felt it shouldn't have done that, so it was his installation at fault.

The pole it had been mounted on had been cut off by the yard which got us on the ground after salvage; the isolation mount is mounted on that stub.

When you're installing it on whatever it is, be careful not to turn the retaining nut/collar too far, or you'll stress the FG housing; it's how mine took flight in a storm in Marsh Harbour (I recovered it, rinsed it, coated with corrosion block, bought new housing, front seal and blades (bearings were ok), and reinstalled it. This most recent rebuild, I replaced the bearings and nose seal, 'just because' they were old enough that, as long as I had it apart, I could do it trivially. Back to not stressing the housing...

So, now, I measure the thread depth inside the housing, and mark my collar nipple end; I quit a quarter-turn or so before that point. As you're supposed to use 'your favorite goop' to seal the unit, to avoid dissimilar metals issues on the prop hub, and to secure moving parts, that goop holds that collar firm once installed, but it also 'lubricates' the threads, leading to, possibly (as I did in one rebuild, and did forensics on the unit after I fished it out) overtightening/insertion, which will try to spread the tube on the housing.

Using the tether prevents turning more than a couple of revs on the pole, protecting the wires, or, you may have a slip-ring version, at which point the tether is just to allow cocking. It's the standard now sold by SVHotwire.com.
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 09:51   #51
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This is an interesting thread.

I appreciate everyone who is contributing their experiences and opinions.

I have long been interested in Solar and Wind generating but I am in no way suggesting I am experienced with them or an expert on the topic. I do not own any of the gear yet, so I am still in my "research" mode. I have NO connection to any of the brands and no investment in them, no brand loyalty, and no connection to any of the dealers or sellers. I am only posting what I find on the net related to the topic.

Video of Superwind 350.

It is on a house, but the recording does pick up other sounds (birds, human voice, street traffic, tree leaves). The sound of the unit? It appears quiet.

Superwind 350W 24V Test

Here is a short video produced by Practical Sailor, who judged the SuperWind as one of the best in their article.

Unfortunately, no video of the unit in operation and no test of the sound it makes.

The company rep says: "Wind works where you have wind…if you are in an area like St. Pete, where there is not enough wind…it may not "

He mentions the unit is a commercial unit, and cost may be $2299 but includes several things. He adds that with an aluminum or stainless mast and installation it may be $2800 to $3000 so it is important to consider if the boat is in an area with enough wind.

I also found a video clip produced by Yachting Monthly magazine, that is a teaser about their testing numerous wind turbines.

Unfortunately, it is just a teaser and does not show anything useful. They want you to read the magazine of course.

And, I found their testing methodology flawed. Why? They put the different units, one at a time, on a Land Rover with a rig and drove down a dirt road to a set speed. ???

Not a very good way to judge that sound the units make, which is one of the factors we are discussing in this thread.

Here's the deal. The guy in the second video is Mark Dettmer, he is the guy in charge of SuperWind. Anybody that is serious about comparing any wind generator to the SuperWind350 and will be at the up coming Annapolis boat show I will be there with Mark and we will have a SuperWind350 on display and one in parts for you to look at and to hold. In fact go to every other wind generator vendor at the show first and look and hold their units. Then stop by and look at the SuperWind350. Unless you're only able to find our booth with white cane, the difference in quality will be instantly obvious. Call me when you are at the gate and I'll even bring you a ticket to get in.

Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:05   #52

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Skip
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate the info.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 11-09-2015, 10:22   #53
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i love my noisey messes.. ihave first gen air x and a cheap chinese knockoff for now.. i want 2 air x mounted on my hard dodger dodger trailing edges, only locaton that will work, as formosa is a ketch. unfortunately i have yet to make the dodger or bimini i am designing.
i was advised by a friend on a larger ketch, that i will want a second, and as i watched them progress for a few years i bought two for use in the here and now..lol i am imressed.
i have 2 banks of 6 v mexibrand deep cycle golf cart batteries. i also have a group 27 cranker. this works.
with my solar alone, it was hard to charge enough to maintain, and usually didnt charge enough. added only one windmill, i got partial relief, as i coud not start engine., ok we almost there
i added another noisemaking windmill and i am satisfied with my intake which is now finally more than i use. awesome. lovin my systemless....
the noise only means the bs is functional. the sound of making electricity does not bother me, unless there is a negative change in the sounds due to fail of some sort. or POP or BANG.. bad sounds in electricity.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:12   #54

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post

Al, S/V Finlandia
Al,

While I did balance the blades to what I believe is the correct degree, the unit is a little shaky when running.

We're going to be in one place for about 6 weeks here shortly, and we will be replacing the blades and I'll review the mounting at that time. Perhaps there is still hope for the old unit.

Thanks, TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 13:16   #55

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I met a cruiser recently who had installed something else (unremembered at this moment). His manufacturer thought so much of the isolation mount they make he was told to use that for his mount.

I also have one, installed at the time John replaced the one which he'd installed in our initial refit; it blew off in a gale which ended with us getting a SS basket ride from the red helicopter, and he felt it shouldn't have done that, so it was his installation at fault.

The pole it had been mounted on had been cut off by the yard which got us on the ground after salvage; the isolation mount is mounted on that stub.

When you're installing it on whatever it is, be careful not to turn the retaining nut/collar too far, or you'll stress the FG housing; it's how mine took flight in a storm in Marsh Harbour (I recovered it, rinsed it, coated with corrosion block, bought new housing, front seal and blades (bearings were ok), and reinstalled it. This most recent rebuild, I replaced the bearings and nose seal, 'just because' they were old enough that, as long as I had it apart, I could do it trivially. Back to not stressing the housing...

So, now, I measure the thread depth inside the housing, and mark my collar nipple end; I quit a quarter-turn or so before that point. As you're supposed to use 'your favorite goop' to seal the unit, to avoid dissimilar metals issues on the prop hub, and to secure moving parts, that goop holds that collar firm once installed, but it also 'lubricates' the threads, leading to, possibly (as I did in one rebuild, and did forensics on the unit after I fished it out) overtightening/insertion, which will try to spread the tube on the housing.

Using the tether prevents turning more than a couple of revs on the pole, protecting the wires, or, you may have a slip-ring version, at which point the tether is just to allow cocking. It's the standard now sold by SVHotwire.com.
Thanks, Skip. We don't have any isolation on the mounting, and that is also contributing to the general racket. However, I can definitely identify blade noise among the other noises, so we will inspect more closely before abandoning the unit.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 14:53   #56

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

RUTLAND 913. Have had ours since 08. Very quiet. Others are always asking about it. Not quite the output but the output is over a wider range. Starts producing at about 4 kts . Love It!!!
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 15:56   #57

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Not that it looks like you need another post or opinion, but we have a Superwind 350 and we love it. And, Superwind just did redesign their blades and they are super quiet.

The unit, with it's original blades was already one of the most quiet on the market, and we've confirmed that by observation around the various anchorages we visit.

SW advertises that the new blades are 50% quieter, and I would have to agree! The unit cuts on at about 5 - 7 kts./ and up to 15 kts. you just can't hear it. (Well maybe a tiny bit when you're standing right underneath it). I have heard it up at +20 kts. yet, but I'd wager it's quieter than anything else out there. I'm happy.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 23:17   #58

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

I just love CF--what great responsiveness to this guy and great supply of info.
Thanks.
C Lady
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 08:40   #59

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

We love our Enertech D-400. Wherever we are folks come to see what it is because it is really quiet and it is often the only one in an anchorage that is turning. engineers I have met say it is due to 5 blades. Because it has 5 blades they can be shorter so the tips are going slower and because they are closer together the turbulence of the preceding blade is greatly diminished. the down side is it cost over $2,000. But when I sell Mana I will replace the generator with a cheaper ebay used one and keep this one whether for a boat or my home.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 11:06   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Great post, but then I'm obviously biased.
SuperWind350s are not for everybody. If you're a weekend sailor or just a few weeks out of the year sailor the cheaper units will probably work fine for you. SuperWinds are designed for heavy commercial use. Offshore Tsunami and wave detectors use SuperWind350 generators that don't see human interaction sometimes for years and take the abuse the oceans can throw at them. 40-50knt winds mean nothing to these units, they see far greater force winds than that a thousand miles off shore without over spinning, over charging, or wearing out bearings. SuperWind blades are the blades the others have copied because SuperWind has spent tons on R&D to make the quietest wind generator. SuperWind carbon fiber blades and replacement blades only come as a matched set that are balanced at the factory. If you are a serious cruising boat then serious equipment comes at a price. As George above states and it certainly applies here, you get what you pay for. Cheaper is very expensive when you have to buy twice.

We have D400 wind generators and have been happy with them and have met two boats over the last couple of years with Superwinds and agree that the owners sing their praises. The question that I have to ask is their real world performance at low wind speed - what is their real cut in speed to produce power and are they genuinely quiet and vibration free? Noise is bad enough but vibration is damaging.
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind