Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2015, 13:25   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: I can't stand my wind gen...

Have you checked to make sure the blades are balanced and that there isn't any nick or protrusion or high spot (gelcoat drip, etc) on any of them?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:33   #17

Boat: Outremer 50S

Our KISS is going on 15 years old and we have never found it particularly noisy. Certainly less so than anything else that was around then with a similar output. I have seen the D400 in operation since, and it is certainly much quieter, don't know about the others.

I will say that when we first installed we had a lot of noise that came from vibration. Blades were all balanced per directions, but still had a lot of vibration and noise. Took the thing apart and took the rotor to a racing shop and had them balance it. IIRC they had to take out 14g on one side in order to get balance. Big, huge improvement in both noise and vibration, well worth the 12-pack of (good) beer I spent.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:54   #18

Boat: Custom 55

Yes, I took the blades down, inspected them, and confirmed they were balanced. I'm not sure what to think. Maybe I got a dud in Trinidad.

Anyway, as I mentioned, I'm getting a new set to try and we shall see how it goes...

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 13:56   #19

It does seem to me like the balancing spindle is a pretty rudimentary way to achieve any kind of accuracy.

The new blades are pre-balanced, so that should eliminate that problem.

Thanks, TJ
Old 10-09-2015, 14:10   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

TJ, thinking back a few (?) years to our days in Mexico... we had a home brew wind gen with a 5 foot blade, designed and hand made by an ex-Lockheed engineer in his trimaran in La Paz. That blade was pretty noisy too, but someone told us about a fix: it involved gluing a length of light (12 lb test or so) monofilament along the leading edge of the convex side of the blade. It was set around 1/4 of the way around the chord IIRC. this had a magical silencing effect at the cost of some blade efficiency... we thought it was worthwhile.

Jim
Old 10-09-2015, 14:25   #21

Hi Jim,

Just to understand, it was actually glued on the convex side, 1/4 of the way in from the leading edge? (1/2" from the leading edge on a hypothetical 2" wide blade)?

Thanks, TJ
Old 10-09-2015, 15:12   #22

There are only 2 options and both are similar in price: the Superwind 350 made in Germany (solidly built) and the D-400 (think it's made in England). Those are the quiet ones on the market. Well, nothing is quiet but let's say they are the best made and least noisy.
captainsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 16:07   #23

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

You want quiet buy Rutland.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:36   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I did a quick search of Youtube in order to find a video that would feature the sound of a boat wind gen working. I could not find one.

My Suggestion: Those members of CF who have a boat with a Wind Gen working in breeze please upload a video to Youtube showing the sound, and your wind speed meter showing the wind speed, and the make/model/year of the unit, I think it would help threads like this.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 17:55   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
My Suggestion: Those members of CF who have a boat with a Wind Gen working in breeze please upload a video to Youtube showing the sound, and your wind speed meter showing the wind speed, and the make/model/year of the unit, I think it would help threads like this.
Did it a while ago:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1304328
Old 10-09-2015, 18:06   #26

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsir View Post
There are only 2 options and both are similar in price: the Superwind 350 made in Germany (solidly built) and the D-400 (think it's made in England). Those are the quiet ones on the market. Well, nothing is quiet but let's say they are the best made and least noisy.

You know, it is actually possible that there are MORE than two options. You Know about two options, that's great, and thanks for listing them.

The only option I know about is the Aerogen. Ours is near silent and certainly a lot quieter than anything around us. I believe they are now sold under the LVM brand. I would not hesitate to replace it with the same again if it were to fail.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-09-2015, 18:09   #27

Quote:
I did a quick search of Youtube in order to find a video that would feature the sound of a boat wind gen working. I could not find one.

Great idea. I will attempt this as soon as the opportunity arises. Not least because I get pretty tired of the blanket assertions made from time to time that all wind generators are noisey. I absolutely agree that some are appallingly noisey, but some are very quiet indeed.

Old 10-09-2015, 18:15   #28

Quote:

There used to be one on YouTube with a lady proudly displaying her new wind generator on her boat in the pen. The sad part was you could barely hear her over the noise it is making. I tried to find it but I had no luck at all. A pity, as it is kind of funny in an ironic way.

Old 10-09-2015, 18:18   #29
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I just listened to two videos (Mike was nice to post one some time back and to post a link to that here). From his video I went and listened to another on Youtube.

In both cases what I heard reminded me of a summer night sounds of a tree full of cicadas. Sort of a whistling sound, but really like cicadas….or the sound FX that some Hollywood horror movies use for aliens.
Old 10-09-2015, 18:30   #30
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Mike posted a good video a few years ago that is just what I was asking for above. Thanks Mike!

I tried to copy the link to here to embed it in this thread, but could not. So here is the link which will take you to the earlier thread. Worth watching.

Mike's Video:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/....php?p=1304328

Air X wind turbine:

Then the same wind gen with the special blades that make it quieter. A big difference, but still some noise (hum, whirr).

Tags
wind