Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2013, 06:16   #46

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: E FOY Fuel Cell Generator

im not overly worried. I know owners that have used them heavily since about 2009.

I think in real life it should last 10 years.its not like it is going to run around the clock.

regardless, still a better option for me, than solar, even if I have to replace it every 5 years
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 10:29   #47

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinglegend View Post

I have had several email exchanges with Efoy and these are my conclusions with their comments in italics:
(Snip)
Thanks. Learned something today...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 18:25   #48

Boat: CS 40
Solar is good if sun is oit but not so good when clouds out Maybe using both will work best
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 19:23   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINFLTENG View Post
Solar is good if sun is oit but not so good when clouds out Maybe using both will work best
Efoy recommends that, if you have that option. We don't, so we are going with just a fuel cell.
Old 19-08-2013, 05:16   #50

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

For extended cruising the 5 year figure quoted by EFOY might be realistic, bearing in mind that most will run the engine for an hour or so each day and if there is any solar supplementing the charge then the EFOY will work less.

I still keep coming back to the cost of a genny installation at 11,000 euros. This too is a rediculous amount of money for such a simple, low tech, device. If it is going to cost 6,000 euros to install then servicing won't be cheap either.

And no one has touched on the noise issue.

At the moment there is no simple, inexpensive solution but let's hope fuel cells are rather like plasma TV's. 6,000 euros a few years ago, 400 euros now.
Alenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 05:57   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alenka View Post
For extended cruising the 5 year figure quoted by EFOY might be realistic, bearing in mind that most will run the engine for an hour or so each day and if there is any solar supplementing the charge then the EFOY will work less.

I still keep coming back to the cost of a genny installation at 11,000 euros. This too is a rediculous amount of money for such a simple, low tech, device. If it is going to cost 6,000 euros to install then servicing won't be cheap either.

At the moment there is no simple, inexpensive solution but let's hope fuel cells are rather like plasma TV's. 6,000 euros a few years ago, 400 euros now.
Euro 11,000 sounds really expensive for a generator even with installation unless the boat required extensive modification and wiring to do the job. In the states, if you have a clear spot to fit the genny and the boat is already wired for AC you be able to get it installed for under USD$10,000. For a smaller unit maybe $8000.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 06:49   #52

Boat: a sailing boat

G oogle some for diesel fuel cells. Looks like they are the next big thing.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 06:54   #53

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
I still keep coming back to the cost of a genny installation at 11,000 euros.... If it is going to cost 6,000 euros to install then servicing won't be cheap either.

My suggestion with all this technology is that you instal it yourself and then the cost of maintenance is low because you know how to repair it. Unless you have deep pockets this cruising life can be very expensive unless you have or develop a lot of DIY skills.

Our FP DC genny is very quiet - sitting in the cockpit on a 42 ft boat you can't hear it. Below it sounds like a water pump running. I have rebuilt it twice with new piston rings and valves and guides - cost 250 Euros each time.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 06:56   #54

Quote:
Everything is a compromise and the fuel cell generator is the future. But on a long distance cruising, more then 3 years, the only problem is to buy the methanol for the e-foy system.
tom1263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2014, 15:49   #55

Got the efoy unit, last years model, got it at a discount (last one they had in the USA). Getting ready to install it.

Unsure if I will get the refrigeration installed this year (the reason for installing the fuel cell) , but excited about having the fuel cell on board.
Old 27-01-2014, 01:22   #56

I look forward to hearing your experiences. I have not written off the idea but no one at the London Boat Show demonstrating them!
Old 27-01-2014, 04:47   #57

its not super popular here in the states either. But it seems like it will fit my needs.

I am just trying to keep my batteries from draining while the boat is on the mooring during the week, as I plan on installing refrigeration at some point. As long as it can keep up with that power draw, and the occasional bilge pump run, I will be a happy camper...er... sailor!

Power has been pretty much the reason I haven't installed refrigeration before, since solar and wind were not appealing options to me.

No doubt fuel cell is not for everyone, but if you HAVE solar or wind, I can see it being a great augment to the system, unless you have a solar panel that works at night!
Old 27-01-2014, 07:08   #58

For a boat with stunning classic lines, such as yours it would be vandalism to fit wind or solar generators. Good luck I hope it works.

I am tempted to buy one to keep my battery bank full so I can run air-con for around 30 mins every other day.

I don't want the noise of a genny if I can avoid it.
Old 27-01-2014, 08:43   #59

my thoughts exactly. its not that I CAN'T put Solar/wind, I dont want to.

I just can't see where I would want to put it !! I can't get myself to mount a lowrance weather antenna on the boat, never mind solar panels large enough you can see from space
Old 27-01-2014, 09:21   #60

Boat: Olson 34

phantomracer: gorgeous boat. likely you have considered this, but I have put flexible panels on top of dodgers, they go nearly unnoticed. That said, I am helping the install of an efoy on a 30' ultralight that will be transiting the Pacific in this summers SF-Kauai solo race. The unit is nearly perfect for keeping up with the electrical needs of an A.P. during the night or under clouds when the solar is blinded. Good choice if you can live with the fuel availability issue. Consider talking to EFOY about how clean the methanol needs to be. Maybe you can filter some type of methanol paint thinner when on distant shores ?
brianb00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel cell