Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2014, 11:14   #61

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer
Re: E FOY Fuel Cell Generator

have thought of it (solar on the dodger) but still holes need to be drilled. no way am I going to put more holes in the african mahogony or the teak deck to run wires.

Still pretty much a cosmetic issue. even on the dodger they are fugly.

to me, solar HAS come a long way, but they are still big, ugly, heavy and have more complicated wiring , don't work at night and can be damaged.

The efoy can be hidden. its time proven technology, and it is protected being inside, and works at night!

Again, if you have a solar set up, the efoy COULD be good to augment it (for night use) or if the solar panels fail.

I am lucky, the USA's distribution center for efoy is about 5 minutes from my house!. Since one lasts 1-2 months (as reported by other owners with my boat that have the same set up) 2-3 should last a season. If I were cruising, I would just fill all available space with methanol. There is ton of storage on an O-38.

If I were going on a long cruise, I would, likely, install solar as well. But at this moment, there is no need to...as long as it can keep up with the (future) refrigeration and occasional bilge pump run. At least in the US, efoy's methanol is only a few days shipping away at worse.

Again, the fuel cell only set up is not for everyone. Everyone has their comfort level. I feel more secure with fuel cell than solar, if my life depended on it, but most of the world is the other way. My thought process is they don't use solar on most manned spacecraft (apollo, shuttle, etc) and have used fuel cell technology. Solar has proven less relaible in space travel (think hubble, skylab, and even the space station). not to mention anything I ever bought that was solar, including panel on my other boat, has failed too. Maybe its an irrational fear, but I would sleep better with a fuel cell over relying solely on solar. Having both would be a great redundant system for sure!

Idealy, if nuclear could be harnessed for the recreational market, then everything woudl be moot! But I don't think we will see that in our lifetime!
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 20:01   #62

Boat: CS 40

80 watts X 2 looking at 245 watt panels $500
for 490 watts no cost after installing pannels
$72 per gallon

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1391399688783.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	75218  
COLINFLTENG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:48   #63

Colinflteng, is there a point?

I, and I assume all of us, know the cost of panels. There just is no way I am going to install them on my boat.

I assume the 72 /gallon is in reference to the price of the methanol. Vick's Nyquil 6 oz. $8.35....$178.13 per gallon. Is there a point somewhere?

solar may work well for you and others. Just not going to cut it for my boat. If it costs me 1-200/yr to run the fuel cell, it will be pretty much the cheapest cost of ANYTHING on the boat!! Spend 10-20,000 a year on services, maintenance, storage, slip/mooring fees, another 200 a year isnt going to break the bank!
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20   #64

Each boat has thier limits if I had endless money I would go with your opion mine is trying to cut oprating cost once pannels on good 20 years update us how it works for you

Old 05-02-2014, 13:00   #65

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINFLTENG View Post
80 watts X 2 looking at 245 watt panels $500
for 490 watts no cost after installing pannels
$72 per gallon

It is nice when it is sunny. But at times it is overcast, and at other times it is midnight when you need that extra boost from your charging options.

Our boat is 100% solar, till we start the donkey. BUT our daily consumption (anchor light in the 12hrs long tropical night included) is only 15Ahs or thereabouts. Do not try this at home.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 14:27   #66

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianb00 View Post
phantomracer: gorgeous boat. likely you have considered this, but I have put flexible panels on top of dodgers, they go nearly unnoticed. That said, I am helping the install of an efoy on a 30' ultralight that will be transiting the Pacific in this summers SF-Kauai solo race. The unit is nearly perfect for keeping up with the electrical needs of an A.P. during the night or under clouds when the solar is blinded. Good choice if you can live with the fuel availability issue. Consider talking to EFOY about how clean the methanol needs to be. Maybe you can filter some type of methanol paint thinner when on distant shores ?
Heck, even a roll-out solar panel in the cockpit while you're away would work. Just unhook and store when on the boat. The same with a semi-flexible panel that can be stored under a berth cushion when not in use. Would be a good add-on to the EFOY!
Old 10-02-2014, 03:32   #67

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

There's a company in Germany that has a fuel cell that runs on propane in the works. On paper it looks quite efficient:
NEW ENERDAY
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:40   #68

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

That companies logo looks like it is pronounced New Nerdy. They might want to work on that.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:53   #69

Just got the EFOY installed. Pretty easy. Hardest part was running the wires in a 46 year old boat! As a test, the battery was slightly low (12.2v). Turning the efoy on, it started charging (after the startup phase) and topped off the battery bank (2@262ah 6v rolls wet cell) pretty quick (@ 5.x amp). Just the hum of the pump could be heard. Be a while before I have it out in practice, but so far, so good!

Instead of wiring it to the battery directly, I wired it to the battery post before the battery switch, so it can be used to charge either battery, and it will ensure no power goes to the battery at all, if the battery switch is Off.

The entire point of this install is for power for when I install refrigeration (probably next year). will get a feel for it this season. Optimistic that it will solve the power problem!
Old 11-03-2014, 10:42   #70

were you unable to put solar power on boat?

Old 11-03-2014, 10:59   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLINFLTENG View Post
were you unable to put solar power on boat?

unwilling to put solar (or wind) on.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:54   #72

Wish I had money to try it out maybe price will drop like solar

Old 11-03-2014, 13:44   #73

yup its stupid expensive to buy. i did get the previous version on clearance and saved some $.

no doubt , in time, they will come down in price.
Old 11-03-2014, 17:48   #74

i keep buying my lotto tickets as well love to have a Telsa as well

Old 12-03-2014, 11:15   #75

Boat: Olson 40

Like most anything, there is a sweet spot for its application. Paul, you seem to have one good application, the Mini racing to Hawaii was another.

In my experience, that mini's situation -- many days of no sun, with 24hr per day more or less constant loads -- is something that happens when voyaging.

So I can see how an otherwise pure solar boat (without a main engine) might use an Efoy for a few days per year during some passages. A big advantage over diesel generator due to the quiet, simplicity of install, simplicity of service, compact dimensions, simplicity of operations, not waking the off watch when charging, and lack of need for diesel with all its disadvantages.

Assuming a boat without diesel main engine, which would work too, just not as nicely (noise, vibration, heat, inefficient charging).

So its a small market. But in that market, seems a good option.

I am looking forward to reading of your experience with this fuel cell over time.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel cell