Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2017, 17:52   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Horn wiring with two switches + fogmate

Hello,

I'm installing an electrical horn up the mast with momentary-on switch (plus fogmate controller switches) in the pilothouse. If I want to put a momentary-on switch in the cockpit as well, what's the best way to wire it up? Does a automotive-style 5 pin relay make sense here? I could run the trigger wire to the farther-away cockpit switch and run the main horn wire via the pilothouse switch to the 87a pin on the relay and then up the mast. Do I have this right or is there a better configuration?

Thanks,
Jack
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 18:19   #2

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa
Re: Horn wiring with two switches + fogmate

Like in a car, horn is connected to relay in the hot line. Relay can have grounding wires going anywhere and activates relay by grounding push button.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 18:39   #3

Boat: J/42

I have a vague recollection of being told that ABYC forbids switch to ground (as in automotive horns, dome lights, etc.) But I don't know if it's true.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 21:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

The switch(s) don't have to be in the ground wire. Switch in the hot wire is good too, just ensure the line is fused as it would be even if switch was on the ground lead. All the switch or signal from the fog mate does is pull in the horn relay. I would check the documentation on your fog mate to see if they require diode protection from the horn switch. Perhaps the fog mate has a tap into the internal relay. Just guessing here because I don't know the product.

Edit: I can see why it would be easier to have the switch ground the relay as it eliminates the need to run 2 parallel hot wires to the relay.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2017, 11:23   #5

Gotta be honest, I'm getting a bit confused by these comments. Isn't the trigger wire meant to be positive and the relay is grounded separately?

This relay diagram shows what I had in mind. Terminal 87a would run a short distance to pilothouse switch and then up to the horn with 10awg wire. When the switch is closed, it will send power the horn since 87a is hot when the trigger is not powered.

87 would connect to the horn wire beyond the pilothouse switch. It would power the horn when Terminal 86 is powered by the trigger wire, which would lead back with a longer length of 16awg wire to the cockpit switch and then to the fuse block (or to the input terminal 30/51).

The horn is then grounded separately, as is the ground terminal (85) on the relay. So the all the switches are indeed on the positive side of the horn wiring, which is perhaps what your comments referred to.

I'm pretty confident in my plan at this point, but I'm no marine electrician so if there is something wrong with my thinking about this or something not ABYC complaint then I definitely would like to know and I appreciate the input!
Old 28-03-2017, 11:24   #6

Sorry forgot to attach the diagram I was talking about:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	basicrelay.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	144139  
Old 30-11-2023, 09:16   #7

Re: Horn wiring with two switches

Wiring Diagram.pdf Views: 15 Size: 155.0 KB ">Horn-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Wiring-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-Diagram.pdf
Chairman Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chairman Mike.

Thanks, for the EXCELLENT first post!

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fog, wiring