Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 10:22   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Combination masthead (steaming)/deck lights

Why bother with led for steaming light? You have the engine on if steaming presumably power is not an issue. Likewise wouldn't the deck lights mostly only be used when anchoring or docking whilst the engine is running?
Old 01-01-2018, 10:33   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Why bother with led for steaming light? You have the engine on if steaming presumably power is not an issue. Likewise wouldn't the deck lights mostly only be used when anchoring or docking whilst the engine is running?

Your correct, however a well sealed LED ought to outlast a conventional incandescent bulb.
There are times when I light my boat with the deck light at night, it’s when I believe there may be a possibility of me being hit by another boat
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 10:53   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey. Deck Salon

I have a question on this same subject. My anchor light just stopped working a few days ago, its ok im in a slip. But gotta replace it, what are the odds of single pole, or double pole.
I have a 40' 99 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS
Bill
furisgrampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 11:55   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Minor thread drift ... 28 foot sailboat - If I have red & green port & starboard, can I use just an all around white on top of my mast?
Yes, instead of a stern and steaming light you can use an all round light at the top of the mast. By itself it is your anchor light.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:13   #20

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Yes, instead of a stern and steaming light you can use an all round light at the top of the mast. By itself it is your anchor light.
Is that due to the size of the boat? I have some difficulty thinking anyone would go to the complexity and expense of separate lights if that would suffice for both under-way and at-anchor purposes...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:16   #21

Boat: Alden 44

I replaced my combo steaming / foredeck light just last fall. Old Aquasignal had no seal around the foredeck bulb and didn't work, steaming light was ok. I wanted a maintenance free light and replaced it with a Signal Mate LED combo with a red LED deck light. Pricey but quality was outstanding - completely sealed. Best price I found was at Ahoy Captain.
GregW1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:48   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Combination masthead (steaming)/deck lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Is that due to the size of the boat? I have some difficulty thinking anyone would go to the complexity and expense of separate lights if that would suffice for both under-way and at-anchor purposes...

I don’t know the size break, but yes. Small boats are just required to have an all around white light and of course the position lights.
Your dinghy for instance

I normally stay out of the rules questions, but I feel confident with this
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 12:53   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
The all round instead of steaming and stern light is allowed on boats under 12 meters (about 39 feet).
Old 01-01-2018, 13:20   #24

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The all round instead of steaming and stern light is allowed on boats under 12 meters (about 39 feet).
Maybe OK for under power, but how do you light the boat when sailing? When observed from ahead, you will be taken for a power boat if there is a white light showing at the same time as the side lights.

Jim
Old 01-01-2018, 13:45   #25
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Maybe OK for under power, but how do you light the boat when sailing? When observed from ahead, you will be taken for a power boat if there is a white light showing at the same time as the side lights.

Jim
It is a combination in lieu of a stern and steaming light. Obviously only when under power.

Has been in Colregs for as long as I can remember.
Old 01-01-2018, 14:31   #26

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

When I first rigged Carina in 1980 I used a combo light, but the steaming part was not as bright as it should have been. Also it was mounted below the top of the staysail stay - great for illuminating the foredeck but too often the steaming light was obscured by the staysail when motorsailing. The foredeck lamp is a small tractor bulb and is rugged as hell; I am still using the original and have a spare aboard so it will likely be the last to convert to LED. I mounted an A-S Series 50 (to match the other nav fixtures) above the staysail for better visibility (and less reflection back to the cockpit). I am very happy about how that worked out. Other than the tricolor (for sailing) all of the other nav lights are still incandescents; since they are only used under power there is no big win to LEDs, and I have a lifetime of spare bulbs.

BTW AquaSignal has a line of LED nav lights that directly replace the existing Series 40 and 50 fixtures for ease of installation. Their tricolor is plug-and-play with the older QuicFits tricolor so one brief trip up the mast and the upgrade is done - no wiring or screws needed.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 14:38   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
It is a combination in lieu of a stern and steaming light. Obviously only when under power.

Has been in Colregs for as long as I can remember.
Yes, exactly my point -- what do you use when sailing at night?

Jim
Old 01-01-2018, 15:12   #28

Boat: Newport 28

Just wanted to toss into the mix, the argument for/against LED for a steaming light - since I've seen it mentioned with regularity. The argument is why go LED, since you're under power and not having any issues with power. However, there are plenty of people using outboards without a charging system on board, and therefore are relying solely on battery power when away from the dock. In addition, the LED fixture also (in theory) would give a far superior lifespan and be virtually maintenance-free, as the OP mentioned.

Now, that said, anyone with such a system really should have provisioned for a house bank sized where that shouldn't be a deciding factor on the different bulb type. Even if you were forced to motor all night, you should be sized enough that it shouldn't matter which you actually have. But yes, there are plenty of us that do look to minimize the draws on the system, even in such trivial pieces such as a steaming light that might not see much use anyway.

Back to the original question: My brother has used a cheap combination like the ones mentioned, and other than a short in the connector on deck, worked quite well. I intend to purchase one myself, however I am replacing a broken fixture on the existing mast. And if the OP is looking to do so, have to make sure to seal the original opening sufficiently, since these aren't going to just seal against the mast.
Old 01-01-2018, 15:34   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Minor thread drift ... 28 foot sailboat - If I have red & green port & starboard, can I use just an all around white on top of my mast?
Whilst motoring, and in place of your steaming light and stern light, yes, but you can't have a stern light, as well. If you are sailing, then you can't use it, but must use the stern light. I used to do exactly that. When using the masthead combination, I simply unscrewed the very accessible stern light bulb. When sailing, I put it back in. Switches would have been better!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 15:44   #30

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlzO View Post
Just wanted to toss into the mix, the argument for/against LED for a steaming light - since I've seen it mentioned with regularity. The argument is why go LED, since you're under power and not having any issues with power. However, there are plenty of people using outboards without a charging system on board, and therefore are relying solely on battery power when away from the dock. In addition, the LED fixture also (in theory) would give a far superior lifespan and be virtually maintenance-free, as the OP mentioned.

While I generally agree that LED is the better solution, in practice Ive had mixed results w LED. Even self regulated bulbs from a quality source have occassionally failed early.

For applications where the bulb is used often for long periods, like interior lighting, anchor light, sailing nav lights...LEDs rock, but for occassional use while generating power the advantages are much less.

In the case of a steaming light, unless you do an awful lot of motoring at night, even an incandecent bulb should last many years...mine have.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, head, mast