Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2012, 19:23   #1

Boat: Caliber 40
LED Steaming Light

Anybody have experience with finding/installing an LED steaming light?

Yes, I know. The engine will be running and the batteries charging so why on earth would I need an LED steaming light, right? Since the steaming light is a ways up on the mast, what I'd really like to do is limit the size of the wiring going that far up the mast.

Thanks,

Jason
Caliber 40 hull #55
janders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 19:39   #2

Boat: Wharram custom 44'
Re: LED steaming light

Is it not already there?
kaimusailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2012, 20:04   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimusailing View Post
Is it not already there?
I'm pulling the mast and re-wiring it. The light fixtures are all pretty dated and could use replacement. I'd like to reduce the wire size while replacing the steaming light.
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 15-02-2012, 00:06   #4

I didn't have their steaming light, but can't say enough good things about my OGM Tricolor. Awesome lights.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 02:39   #5

Boat: Sunbeam, 37, Ziamar
Re: LED Steaming Light

Try Bebi. I just purchased an LED for my masthead and haven't installed it yet so can't speak personally for how long it'll last, etc. But they have an interesting approach to LED designs and have excellent reviews from other users. Also, Michael has been a wealth of great information about how to use, change, and install LEDs.
Bill
Old 15-02-2012, 04:37   #6

Boat: 1977 42' Mapleleaf

As a sailboat, you only use the steaming light when motorsailing.
A word of info about the tri-color LEDs - I have an issue with my tri-color LED giving off a signal (frequency) that eliminates all my AIS targets on my chart plotter when the Tri-color is turned on. My Tri-color is near the VHF antenna (as most mast mounts are) - so check to be safe ahead of time.
Also, as you are rewiring your mast, replace all wiring with high quality marine grade wire and quality VHF cables and connectors.
Also, you can use a LOT of LONG wire ties with the tails left long (use 4 ties at each spot every 18" down the wire) so to stop the wires from slapping inside your mast...wire ties are cheap compared to endless nights of wires noise.
Old 15-02-2012, 04:46   #7

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

Yeah, Bebi is awesome. I replaced everything in my boat with Bebi led's, I highly recommend them.
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:39   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svWindfall View Post
As a sailboat, you only use the steaming light when motorsailing.
A word of info about the tri-color LEDs - I have an issue with my tri-color LED giving off a signal (frequency) that eliminates all my AIS targets on my chart plotter when the Tri-color is turned on. My Tri-color is near the VHF antenna (as most mast mounts are) - so check to be safe ahead of time.
Also, as you are rewiring your mast, replace all wiring with high quality marine grade wire and quality VHF cables and connectors.
Also, you can use a LOT of LONG wire ties with the tails left long (use 4 ties at each spot every 18" down the wire) so to stop the wires from slapping inside your mast...wire ties are cheap compared to endless nights of wires noise.
The cable tie stand-off idea is a good one. Internal halyards are unlikely to be fouled.

It does, however, bring up another possible issue. The smaller gauge wire should be self-supporting over the length up the mast, but it may be more subject to chafe because it has more space in which to shift. For that reason and to reduce the likelihood of rain from the sheave boxes falling on the various connections, you may wish to put the various runs (trilight, steaming, deck and anchor) inside a cable conduit that is clipped or rivetted top and bottom, and then you can put the cable-tie stand-offs on this conduit.

If the point is to avoid going up the mast (or having to dismast to do the repair, making the mast runs bulletproof to chafe and (most) corrosion is worth the effort, I think.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2012, 08:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
I didn't have their steaming light, but can't say enough good things about my OGM Tricolor. Awesome lights.

I have OGM's anchor/tri-color light and it's been great. But for $470, the OGM steaming light better make me sail 10 degrees higher and a knot and a half faster. How on earth can they justify $470 for a steaming light when I can buy one from Bebi (nice call Bill_E) for $40?

That is one ballsy company, wow.
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 15-02-2012, 09:10   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
If the point is to avoid going up the mast (or having to dismast to do the repair, making the mast runs bulletproof to chafe and (most) corrosion is worth the effort, I think.
I totally agree and your idea is an interesting one to be sure. We have pre-installed PVC conduits so all the wiring will be going in those conduits. Part of the reason I need to reduce the cable size is so I can fit everything I need inside the not-very-large conduits.
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 15-02-2012, 09:23   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by janders View Post

I have OGM's anchor/tri-color light and it's been great. But for $470, the OGM steaming light better make me sail 10 degrees higher and a knot and a half faster. How on earth can they justify $470 for a steaming light when I can buy one from Bebi (nice call Bill_E) for $40?

That is one ballsy company, wow.
Well firstly, you can get them a bit cheaper.

Secondly, they are USCG approved. If you get into a collision at night, I guarantee that the other party's insurance company will Say the were not liable because they couldn't see you, because you were using inferior lights. (Not saying Bebi's are bad, but legally they are not up to the task)

So $350 seems like a lot less if you are voiding a $100k claim.

And lastly, the OGM's really are in a league apart in the way they are constructed. I also thought they were quite expensive, but after using one on my last boat I do actually think they are worth it.

The only light I've seen that comes close is the lunasea one, LED Navigation Fixtures but it's $329 And again, It's not actually certified, I don't think they make a steaming light.
Old 15-02-2012, 10:17   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Well firstly, you can get them a bit cheaper.

Secondly, they are USCG approved. If you get into a collision at night, I guarantee that the other party's insurance company will Say the were not liable because they couldn't see you, because you were using inferior lights. (Not saying Bebi's are bad, but legally they are not up to the task)

So $350 seems like a lot less if you are voiding a $100k claim.

And lastly, the OGM's really are in a league apart in the way they are constructed. I also thought they were quite expensive, but after using one on my last boat I do actually think they are worth it.

The only light I've seen that comes close is the lunasea one, LED Navigation Fixtures but it's $329 And again, It's not actually certified, I don't think they make a steaming light.
Good point, USCG certification is part of the equation. But I'm not convinced that the only way to avoid that $100K insurance claim is to drop $350 on a steaming light.
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 15-02-2012, 10:27   #13

Quote:
Good point, USCG certification is part of the equation. But I'm not convinced that the only way to avoid that $100K insurance claim is to drop $350 on a steaming light.
I agree. The only reason I bought the first one was that I got a pretty good employee disc. @ WM on it.

But I will say again after using it I think it is actually worth it. The construction is a work of art. Every other light I've ever seen is a plastic-y piece of crap in comparison, except lopo lights, and they are just as expensive, so there ya go
Old 29-02-2012, 17:40   #14

Quote:

I have OGM's anchor/tri-color light and it's been great.
Let me amend this statement.

We had our OGM light short out while cruising. I presumed it was the wiring in the mast since we had some problems in there. We just pulled our mast off and I tested the light on a bench. The problem is the light. The anchor light leds only work on 2 of 3 quadrants and just barely light up. On the tri-color, only the port and stern lights comes on (but just barely). There was also condensation inside the case so their waterproof claims can bite me.

Pretty expensive light for the year of actual use we got out of it. Buying an OGM was a mistake.
Caliber 40 hull #55
Old 29-02-2012, 18:15   #15
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Word of caution: Ensure that any nav lights that you install are properly certified. In the US that means the lights are approved and stamped by the USCG.

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote