Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 08:45   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Best "Live-aboard Trade" to pursue @ 32 years of age??

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Would be very interested to learn what these most obvious of trades might be.

Well, the oldest profession wasn't mentioned I don't think
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:46   #17

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Choose the craft that you like the best and become a real expert. You will find that you turn business away and can charge a fair price. Takes a lot of work but worth it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:51   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneeklyCommon View Post
Hello fellow Sea Dogs!
"What trade would you pursue if you were a 32 year old, and wanted to earn a little extra money while cruising the world?" I was researching Marine Electrician courses, which I am interested in, and I know I could help fellow boaters in most anchorages/marinas abroad, but I was hoping to learn of more options from the experienced out there! Cheers, and thank you for your time and help. Cheers, Erik
There is a huge thread here on making money while cruising.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ist-37982.html

It should keep you busy for awhile.
Old 03-03-2017, 09:14   #19

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If you want to make a lot of money then sell your boat, move to Manhattan, and become an investment banker. Otherwise it's root hog or die. Make life fun. It will all work out.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Well, the oldest profession wasn't mentioned I don't think
Reading between the lines I think the OP wouldn't have the required qualifications for that one anyway.

Then there is what is arguably the second oldest profession, transporting goods by sea. This can be very lucrative, especially if done in contravention of local regulations.

I hear there's a lot to be made importing agricultural products and certain plant extracts from the Caribbean to the US. Of course there can be some fees and penalties involved if the cargo is questioned by certain regulatory agencies.

skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:59   #21

Boat: Diesel Duck 41 - In progress

While it's certainly a worthy goal to try to earn some income blogging/YouTube its very challenging to earn any real money. Granted I'm just starting out with my blog and YouTube channel over the last 5 months and was only able to monetize last month.

So far I've earned a combined $6 in ad revenue for both projects. Now don't get me wrong, I enjoy it and am having fun with it, but I'm not doing it for the money.If I was, I would be hungry.

If you start something now and build a following it's certainly possible to earn some supplemental income but that will probably take a few years. God bless the people who earn enough to live off of, but I think that's a very challenging prospect and takes a special person and the right set of skills.

My other vote would be for developing your woodworking and finishing skills. Finishing bright work is an art and will always be in demand. storage and cabinetry work would be a valuable commodity, I would imagine, around the world.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealife1 View Post
Not that I have done it but I see a lot of people blogging and getting sponsorship and sometimes even writing articles for pay any submitting to different publications. Everyone likes different perspectives and I would think there are a lot of people your age who would like to know what this life is like!
scott2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41   #22

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

If I were you and at 32 I would A. Stick with what I knew and expand on that. I would think a good knowledgeable bartender/festivity organizer/planner could always pick up a few hours either on or under the table at most any port. + Think of all the chicks you would meet that would like to crew for you! B. If you are staying in one place get a government job=good pay, not much work, good bennies. Hell you might end up as an ambassador someplace.....and end up on CNN.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:01   #23

Boat: Sea Ray 270

"now, run my own company, which consults the South FL Hospitality Industry (Restaurant, Retail & Hotels)"

I would become a review management expert for Restaurant, Retail & Hotels. Develop a client list paying you a monthly fee, working 100% online. That is what I would do if I were you. Stick with what you know and do it online. As long as you can access the internet periodically you could travel the world. I work online in IM and have done so for years, but not in review management. Trades are great but if you stay in one place long enough to develop a clientele the locals will put you in jail or expel you (outside of US). In the US a trade would be ok I guess but you would have to stay in one place a while to get the word out.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:49   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Ex: 2006 Catalina 350 Now: 04 Mainship 400
Send a message via Skype™ to YachtBroker

A honest, reliable, marine tech that can get parts in locations that are hard to get and do it all without having an owner standing over you. You'd need knowledge in diesel, refrigeration and Air Con. Electrical and Electronics would be helpful. Those traits are useful in any cruising area.
Direct line-713-817-7216--Houston Texas
YachtBroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 13:22   #25

Boat: Boatless

Real estate, lots of it :-)

Short of that HVAC, Electrical, et al.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 16:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by UneeklyCommon View Post
This was a very interesting trade that I would have never thought of, so thank you for that. I did a little research, and did get my mind juices flowing. You did use the word, "portable", and wondered to what extent, because you surely couldn't complete this work inside a cabin. Do cruisers in this work spread out on the dock with their 40 lbs sewing machine? Get the needed materials flown in? If you had the opportunity, again, you would look for an apprenticeship? The profit margin is good enough that one job a month would be sufficient. If you have any other advice, I would be more than pleased to hear it. Thank you for your unique idea! Cheers, Erik
I do think the canvas thing is area specific and would probably work best where there are more casual boaters then cruisers. As was correctly pointed out above your typical cruisers are very difficult people to pry any cash from and do not usually have a lot of it. But where you have a great conglomeration of casual boaters (FL, New England, PNW) the canvas work demand is very high. Although there may be a reason why the supply of canvas makers is not there but I am not aware of it yet.

Just as Uber all of a sudden became an answer to expensive taxi rides in old smelly cabs with old smelly cabdrivers it seems that the market is ready for an answer to a $3-4K enclosure. If not the whole market at least I am.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 08:19   #27

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

This is the 21st century. Create content for online viewing. Sell to Netflix, hulu, crave, etc. Put cameras all over your boat, then go sailing with the weirdest, craziest, people you can find...and an occasional girl in a bikini.

Have you seen whats on there now? Housewife cannibals, hoarders, prisons, swamp people, gold minors, ice road truckers, fishermen.... Think about it. No plot required.

If you went to visit Zeehag, Ann T Cate, or Sailorchic, I'd be glued to the screen!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 11:58   #28

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Having been cruising for over 40 year's, with many skill's [shipwright,rigger,refrigeration,electrical,commerc ial diver,ect.],i have found most fellow cruiser's do not wish to pay a paying wage, hiring local expertise instead or repairing the problem themselves. i park my boat and go to the work, then there is the problem with work permit's in a foreign country.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 14:18   #29

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

You may be able to get around the foreign worker permit by hiring a local as a partner. Then you would have a helper while you did the work, collected the wage, then paid him/her your paartner. I think I have heard this from people working in Mexico.

Now, my worry would be getting paid. I have seen and heard of so many cases where when the work was completed and you went to collect your fees you were met with an empty slip. They have gone. I know this does not happen all the time but once or twice would be often enough. Those out there cruising could add or detract to this fear. I saw this happen to often in California when I kept my boat in the bay area. Here today gone tomorrow sort of thing. Best advice so far has been to become very good/proficient on computers etc. I would think your chances of getting paid would be better.
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:37   #30

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

If you are looking at learning marine refrigeration or electronics, I would suggest not to bother. I've been in those fields all my life and it takes a long time to be really proficient, certainly to where people would pay you. If you are cruising in the Caribbean, you are going to get a lot of trouble with local authorities if you start a business illegally. You may pick up a few side jobs but once you become known, you will get a visit, your competition will make sure of it. I live in the Caribbean, I've been through this.

But I notice you are a hospitality consultant. Now there is a skill that is in demand. I suggest you look at building a client base in the Caribbean (if that's where you want to cruise) that wants to up their game and have a consultant train staff. That's always in demand. If they don't have to pay your travel and accom, you are going to be in demand. Just set up a circuit and let them know you are available at these dates. I would start with the Caribbean Hotel Association and get to the member associations in each country. The smaller islands will be especially excited to have you as a trainer. I would offer some free seminars and talks to make connections.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trade