Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-05-2010, 08:38   #1

Air Breeze Wind-Powered Generator ?

Hi all, does anyone have and use the Air Breeze wind Generator. I read the article on the wind generator comparison tests by PS. The unit they tested was the prototype made from the Air-X (big brother) they seemed wrapped in the new unit but as it was the prototype they would not rate it until it was in production.
Article here:www.naviclub.com/Test_comparatif_eoliennes_marine.pdf

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Researched different wind gens, bought the AirBreeze Marine but partly because I got a super deal on it. Have not yet installed it so can't give a first hand report. From friends that have them they are loud unless you get the rubber mounting kit.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:17   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
After the rubber mounting kit you can get the after market blades that cut down on the noise. Or you could just buy a different generator to start out with.

I have not seen many (any) positive reviews.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:58   #4

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Well here you go. A positive review of an AirX product. I have an AirX marine that I purchased several years ago from Emarine. It has worked mostly great although it did start acting up earlier this year. I sent it back to the manufacturer and it was returned working good as new. I have had no other complaints about it. I did replace the blades with some longer one for 2 reasons. An attempt to get power production started at a lower wind speed and the fact that the original blades had gone through hurricane IKE and looked a bit worse for wear. The leading edges looked like they had been roughly sanded during the storm. I'm not sure the generator is making much extra power but it DOES start turning in lower wind speeds so every bit helps.

There are some here on this board that complain that they are noisy. I personally don't seem to be able to hear the blades much at all until the wind gets above 30knts and by then the sound is mostly hidden by the clanging of halyards, moaning of furling masts, flapping canvas and such. Out on the hook it's the slight hissing sound of me not having to run my motor that makes me smile............m
Old 07-06-2010, 10:12   #5

Boat: Privilege 37
I finally got a chance to hear some of the noisy Air X products folks have complained about. It was rather loud, and very different from my Air X. Mine was not loud at all. I did however prior to mounting it, smooth out the blades.

My bottom line was, it was a lot quieter than running my engine, about the same as running my Kipor generator. They produced good power above 15 kts, a little between 9 and 15, and very little below 9.

I spent 90% of my cruising time in anchorages where the wind was below 9 knots on average. So, didn't give me the power for which I'd originally hoped.
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:16   #6
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
My airx experience has been , very unreliable untill I replaced their circuit board with a bridge rectifier. Been working without problems since.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2010, 20:46   #7

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
older 403 Air Marine with new blades?

I have the option of purchasing an older 403 Air Marine and thought to get the newer/quieter blades but about a total $500 outlay. Will add solar panels as well in preparation ofr out Carribean cruise later ths year. Yes, there are better and quieter wind generators but at twice this cost. Any reason I do not want to do this? Already have 350 ah of battery added.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator