Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2012, 13:52   #1

Boat: None
Which modifications on a new 400 did you make ?

Considering buying a 400 after having had a new 380 premium for a year (which was excellent and the quality of design and systems impressed me after a year of 3,000 nm).

1) the 140 cm wide bed in owner stateroom (even narrower at the footend) I will widen to full width - 160 cm Ikea slat bottoms; Ikea 160x200 rectangular mattrass
2) is the desk in owner stateroom not too low ?
3) I wish the designers would realize people use laptops instead of pens these days. So no more fiddle rails which hurt your arms when you are working on such tables with a fiddle rail imprinting your arm painfully.
4) in the saloon - the "dead corner" to the left of the sliding door as you come in has no view - so why have a half height cupboard there, it would be so much better to have a full height cupboard there - with a fridge in the top half - such that no bending down is needed to get something from the fridge several times per day !!
5) more cupboards glued to ceiling to left of microwave - like they added in the end to the right.
6) I think I would miss the forward facing double bench with backrest that the 380 comfort has - 400 only has stools. I sit there most of the time on watch behind my laptop, nice in the middle, comfortable and when typing can keep a lookout. That place would in 400 probably be behind the chart table - but you would need a chair with backrest to be comfortable there (I spend days behind my computer working and writing) - which is the ideal chair ?
7) For the technical modifications - does anyone have a wiring diagram for the entire boat ??
8) Will fit lots of solar panels on the bimini
9) Will fit deckwashpump on salt and fresh water (did same on my 380 premium it was perfect)
10) I fitted a bigger calorifier and a 3 coil one to add diesel heater to make hot water - that was so perfect I will repeat that but probably electric coil as will have generator this time round. Nice to have hot water when anchoring for long periods.
11) Washing machine and electric toilets (call me spoilt but I have lived on boats for 8 years now ... there is only one way to do it ...)
12) Halogen lights for nice atmosphere (or have they got round to doing warm nice yellowish LEDs now instead of bright white horrible)
13) Rocna or Manson Supreme anchor instead of Delta
14) 100m of chain instead of 75m
15) Electric cooker (unsure ?!)
16) Mastervolt combined generator/charger/inverter saves space and weight, awesome appliance ...

Anything else you did on your 400 ??
What of the performance ??
What of the rumour that the 400 creaks like a Spanish galleon ?

thanks !!
brainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 14:22   #2

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Which modifications on a new 400 did you make ?

13- Delta comes with the boat, keep it as ekstra, and get a Rocna, spade,manson, Bugel as main.
16- go Victron (my pick) made in holland, and not china.(mastervolt)
Marine market

and i wil get the 3 coil hot water for my boat also. i found it now. (thanks for tips)
Careka
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 03:38   #3

Hey Brainmaker, we are in the process of adding to our ex-charter 380. Did you put a washing machine on your 380? Trying to figure where! We have 4 cabin version.

In the decision about oven, we are going to upgrade to a really good BBQ. Maybe the weber. Will keep oven but less important then.

So many decisions in this process huh. You are keen doing two in a couple of years.

Ange.
AngeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 21:59   #4

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have received a new boat in March 2011 and did the following.
extras list (partial):
Sailing enhancements -
1. Added gennaker kit from the factory and a sail ( it was sold as a gennaker but actually it is code zero)
2. Added eye on the mast as attachment point for a future whisker pole.
3. Added eyes under the boom to attach preventer line.
4. All cabin top winches - electric.
5. Flat top mainsail.
6. Two steps at the bottom of the mast.
7. Two ladders on the deck, at the front of the cabin (one at port side and one stb) to climb on top of the cabin.

Electricity
1. Solar panels (3 x 135W).
2. Generator
3. Galvanic Isolator.
4. Additional monitor and shunts to get more detailed info about charge and use.
5. Inverter.

Living
1. Electric pumps in toilets.
2. A/C

Navigation
1. Radar
2. Type B AIS.
Old 04-02-2012, 16:28   #5

Boat: FP Elba 45

Hello Mark,
Would appreciate details of your: 4. Additional monitor and shunts to get more detailed info about charge and use. Thanks in advance.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 00:19   #6

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

i have this one, very good. BMV 602S

BMV-600S and BMV-602S - Victron Energy

and price is good to.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:31   #7

I have installed equipment made by Mastervolt
MasterviewEasy MKII - monitor
Mastershunt500 - 3 shunts.
Expensive but apparently good quality (we shall see in the future).
I gather the following info (main info shown, there is more):
Actual staus of batteries charge, in percents of full capacity - separate data for house bank, for each start battery.
temperature of batteries.
History of alarms.
Net current that flows into each bank (charge less use) - the original monitor installed by Lagoon shows total use of all users, with no regard to charge flowing in.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:59   #8

Thanks very much Mark, looks like you have a good system installed, I will look into much the same, worthile upgrade as I think the factory voltmeter is very basic. Regards Peter
Old 06-02-2012, 02:01   #9

Re: Brainmaker -Which modifications on a new 400

My 10 cents worth of answers:
2 - 3. I use the desk in the owners hull and do not find it too low. However, it may depend on your personal height. I have put the laptop there so no fiddles to bother about.
4. The cupboard to the left of saloon entrance is the electrical cabinet. The top is removable to allow access to the innards of the electric breakers/systems.
5. The storage is an issue. At the beginning we have wondered where to put all the kitchen stuff. At present everything found its place, except tableware that has no drawer and lives in a in the locker that is intended for microwave. It seems that lockers to the left of the microwave locker will be hard to reach and use. It is one of the problems we still try to solve adequately.
7. Good question. I have asked for a diagram, but received only a very general drawing. So simple I could have prepared it myself without looking at the boat. I am going to ask again for a more detailed schema.
8. I have installed 3 X 135Watt solar panels on the davits. They give more or less 10 - 15 AmpH charge during the day, depending of course on cloud cover and sun angle. On a nice summer day they will contribute over 100AmpH to the banks.
9. The boat has a fresh/seawater deckwash system. In the front locker there is a lever to choose between the two options. My agent told me this lever is part of shore water inflow system (choosing water from shore or tanks) but it is not! You may want to check this issue.
12. Have LEDs all around. Do not see any problem with light colour.
14. Sailed already around 4,000 NM with the boat. Nowhere had any problem with too short a chain with the supplied 75m.

The boat creaks, but not excessively (and I have yet to sail on a boat that is totally quiet). The main creaking culprit is the front/right window in the saloon. At the beginning it was annyoing - by now, I do not hear it anymore...
Old 16-04-2012, 14:46   #10

Thanks for the comments, do you find the solar panels detract from the cockpit view very much? Thanks, Tim
timandchanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 11:14   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400 #181
Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchanel
Thanks for the comments, do you find the solar panels detract from the cockpit view very much? Thanks, Tim
I have had them installed on the bimini, you could consider that as well.
yme_bosma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 02:18   #12

I do not feel the view from the cockpit with the solar panels to be a problem. The panels can be mounted on the bimini - but then they will somewhat hinder movement on top. There are flexible panels that can be walked on - these may be the ideal solution for bimini mounting.
Anyway - the view from the cockpit was not a problem I did consider.
The main view problem of the boat is the invisible starboard part of the boat when on the steering settee.
Old 19-04-2012, 03:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandchanel View Post
Hello Timandchanel, I have attached a picture of the solar panels option fitted by the factory this may help your undestanding, it works very well, I can confirm it does not hinder one's view out the back, on the frame that holds the three 130 watt panels they have thoughtfuly added a handle it faces the door to the outside seating area and the walkway I have found this very handy to hang on to in a rough sea when walking past, the solar panels also acts as a partial cover for the tender.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side rear.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	378.9 KB
ID:	40130  
Old 22-04-2012, 16:06   #14

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38

We have recently had a few modifications. .

1 Step at helm for comfort

2 step beside windlass to help access to the mast and coach roof.

3. Custom made Bimini and screens at helm station.

4. See through screens round rear cockpit area. Mainly for comfort use when moored. With inner canvas 'curtains' for privacy.

5. Alterations to woodwork in engine rooms to have detachable piece of plywood to access gearboxes easier.

6. Long handles on stern corner to hang fenders and to grab when boarding.

7. More sockets in saloon for easier use of laptops etc.

8. New stainless steel bracket to hold tv just to left of oven.

9. Painted bilges which were unprotected from water damage.

Nothing particularly revolutionary but all have improved our life when on board.

At fit out we already had a triple coil calorifier installed. Excellent addition.

Cheers

Garoldrhodes
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2012, 23:11   #15

Hi Garold
Can you explain or perhaps add a photo of the additional step at helm? I do not feel there is a problem there but might be missing something, so please add some info.
I am thinking where to put a TV screen, so a photo of the bracket you have addedd is interesting as well. I am thinking to put it above the port steps that lead to the port cabins (attached to the cupboard above the electric panel) but your solution may be better.
Thanks