Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2010, 16:07   #196

Boat: FP Elba 45
Hello Jens, it seems you are looking at a demonstration L400. I think the factory price is the same all around the world but not completely sure, the one thing that effects our final net purchase cost is the exchange rate, in your case the craft is already locked in to that rate whatever it was at the time of importation, that is a important thing to consider, check the rate now compared to the rate then, it is possible the rate is more favourable now meaning a new craft would be cheaper at the current rate than your venders craft which means you are in a strong bargaining position as I’m sure your vendor would be very keen to sell something he can replace at a cheaper cost, or of course you order a brand new one if there is very little saving on the demo or used one you are looking at. There is of course a element of gambling when buying a craft with such a long lead time, for example in my case here in Australia I signed the contract in December 2009, at the time the favourable exchange rate was A$0.62 Australian dollars to the euro, this was a factor in my decision making process as it was holding around the A$0.55 to the Euro so the deal was attractive, guess what, the rate has improved today to A$0.71!!!!! so you can see what I mean the exchange rate has a huge effect on big ticket items like a 40 ft cat, had I waited and ordered today I could have saved about 50K, of course if we could read the future exchange rates we would all be zillionairs. In summary to try and answer your question, because the craft you are looking at is nearly new, compare his asking price of the demo with the best can do deal you can get off your dealer for a brand new one, and of course make sure you compare with like extras. As always just my thoughts, good luck with your negotiating.
Well as soon as I finish typing this post we are going down to the Melbourne docks to watch our Lagoon 400 being unloaded from the freighter from France halfeway around the world, we will crawl all over it today although mind you I don’t think it will look very smart, bubble wrapped, no mast etc, it has been almost exactly eight months for it to arrive.
Regards Peter
peterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:41   #197
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp View Post
as I finish typing this post we are going down to the Melbourne docks to watch our Lagoon 400 being unloaded from the freighter from France halfeway around the world
Hello Peter (& Patricia!)

As you go down to the docks, I will head to Sydney Airport for the flight up to Hamilton Island and my delivery of the 50' Beneteau back to Sydney. So I'll be 'off the grid' for a couple weeks or so while you (excitedly, I'm sure!) explore and fit your new baby. Much as I am looking forward to the delivery (especially the warmer, northern bits where we'll be wandering through the Whitsundays and other islands off the Qld coast) every time I bump myself as she heels along and into the (probably) sou'east swell from the trade winds, I will think of you in your lovely LEVEL new adventure! I will very much look forward to your pics and news on my return.

Perhaps I mis-read Jens, but I thought he was suggesting he was buying -- In fact he says he is about to "order" -- a new L400. I read Jens' reference to the 2010 model as being merely used to guide him in his price negotiations around the order. If I'm right, then we might suggest to Jens that a 9% discount (off the factory price) is reasonable. We believe commissions are ~15% so that discount still leaves a bit -- Brokers would say not enough, of course! -- for the broker. One thing to watch, however, is to ensure the discount applies not only to the base vessel, but also to whatever factory options are added...and, as we all know, Lagoon vessels need a fair few options, like anchors and anti-foul for a start!

Cheers all...and 'fair winds' especially to me as the Beneteau is a dog (5kn max) under motor (prop too small probably)...and 850nm @5kn could be a pretty frustrating exercise indeed!

Thread: New Lagoon 400 Reply to Thread
Logged in as D&D

Title:
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:50   #198

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha
Hi Jens

It is hard to say what a good price is. Here on the Pacific coast of Canada we have to deal with significant costs associated with shipping from France, through the Panama Canal and up the Pacific Coast to Vancouver.

I picked up on of the earlier L400s (#45) that had an incentive price from Lagoon. I was able to negotate a few more dollars off because the boat was sitting at the Vendor's dock. It seems that is the case with the used boat you are looking at. In this economy I believe that Vendor's are motivated and a good deal can be had. Peter makes a good point about extras. These can cost a bundle so make sure you factor in the additional costs. Another issue is warranty. Is the boat still on the 1 year Lagoon warranty? In any event new or used I suggest that you have a survey done as part of the offer. If the boat is under warranty you can pass on at least some of the repair costs to Lagoon. If the boat is used then at least you will know what your getting and perhaps avoid some problems. The survey on our new boat identified a chafing fuel line. This was an easy repair that could have otherwise been a terrible accident.

Exchange rates are in a flux. If you think that you will benefit then negotiate a good price and waite patiently for 9 months followed by 1 month of commissioning and working out the bugs. Of course if rates go the other way then get to pay more and explain to your other half why you are now paying more. Just my thoughts

Bruce
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 17:58   #199

Boat: Lagoon 400 Amritha
Hi Peter

After 9 months of waiting you must be excited. Good luck with the new L400. Finally I look through my information and emails and while I have reference to the the folding props I can't find anything about the size. I would however take a close inspection of the props if you can before the boat is in the water. As you may recall one of mine fell off.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce
bman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 18:36   #200

Hi, thanks for the response guys! My English is quite bad and I tend to explain myself a little clumsy. Anyway, what I meant was that I was offered a 9 % discount on a new boat, including the extras. Tonight I made the deal and ended up with 11.3% discount after some hardcore bargaining I`m going to hire a captain with crew and use the 12 day transport sailing to Norway as a sailing course for me and a friend of mine. Bman, I haven’t got a better half to explain myself to For me this is an "All in" project which would never fly with a better half! Or, have you guys hit the lottery, finding wife’s that has given you "carte blanche" Peterb, I hope everything turns out to be as you hoped for! What an exciting day!

Jens
jfjelnset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 23:20   #201

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Congratulations Peterp, that is such an exciting day. Do not forget to charge the camera. Looking forward to hearing about it.

D&D 850nm at 5knts is a long way! I hope you get favourable wind so you do not have to rely on the motor.

Cheers
Paul
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:04   #202

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Jens, I think that your discount is very good. You clearly must have turned up with the money in a briefcase to tease the dealer.

Peter, wish you well. You've invested a lot of heart and soul in this project so I hope that Lagoon deliver the product to meet your expectations.

D&D, I read in a UK yachtie magazine the other day that if the prop is dirty it can cut the speed of motorboats by 25-30%. Not sure if this is true but it may be a contributary factor to the boat speed of the Beneteau.

As for us........... Last day of the summer cruising period for us today. Sadly, this British weather has just about worn me down. And as always, after 6 weeks of unpredictable, changeable weather, it's now brighteneing up as a high sits over the UK. This yachting hobby certainly tests one's resolve!

So far this summer, we have sorted a few snags (new VHF, new invertor software, changed genny fuel filters to stop 'hunting') learned a bit more about the boat (stripped down one of toilets after tissue blocked it, cleaned bottom after drying out, tested our new Rocna anchor in several anchorages) and made good use of the heating system most days. Our boat manoevering is much more confident as we've visited many different marinas and anchorages, and our faith in the boat has increased as we've been out in winds +/- 30 knots (even surfed a bit heading into Chichester harbour).

We head back to our home berth today and then it's back to 6 days a week work for 3 months so not much sailing to be done then.

Are we still happy with the boat? My wife is, and I'm beginning to bond with it. I think that I take the initial snagging period a bit too seriously even if most of the issues are minor. As a friend of mine said, 'the first year of boat ownership is all about warranty work and getting things working properly, the next two years are lovely, and then over the next few years one begins replacing worn-out things'. If he's right, I am looking forward to next year now! And we just cannot have four rubbish UK summers in a row can we?

So, Peter, for the next few months, I shall have to enjoy my yachting through your experiences so feel free to tell us as much as you can about your new boat

Cheers guys.

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:11   #203

Boat: Amel Maramu
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanafe View Post
Lucky Larry,

I have uploaded some pictures about improvment work on my L 400. If you want to see join lagooncatowners : Lagoon Catamaran Owners Group and have a look under HanaFe

HanaFe
Hi hanafe, I am also based in Hong Kong and will be going to the Southampton Boat show this Month, to view the Lagoon 400 there, would be happy to hear any feed back you may have regarding your L400, things you would do differently in hindsight and things that work perfectly. points to watch out for etc. thanks in advance
allezaubon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 01:18   #204

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
allezaubon

I was in the marina in Southampton yesterday and noticed the new Lagoon 400 that is going in the Southampton Boat Show.

It only just arrived from the factory in the last few days and so has all the latest mods on it so should be well worth seeing if you are thinking about ordering a new boat.

Cheers

Garold
Garold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:45   #205

Boat: Amel Maramu
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garold View Post
allezaubon

I was in the marina in Southampton yesterday and noticed the new Lagoon 400 that is going in the Southampton Boat Show.

It only just arrived from the factory in the last few days and so has all the latest mods on it so should be well worth seeing if you are thinking about ordering a new boat.

Cheers

Garold
Thanks for the info, I will definitely make a point of seeing her - maybe get an "incentive offer"

Trust UK will have an "indian summer" for the show !!

As you see I am an optimist
allezaubon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:55   #206

Lagoon 400 being unloaded from freighter

Hello Garold, I have attached some photo’s of my L400 being unloaded from the freighter yesterday morning, two people from the Lagoon dealer flew down from Sydney last night to be here in Melbourne to oversee the unloaded off the freighter, one of them was allowed on board at 8am to strip away the protective plastic, and check everything, then one of the dockside cranes lifted it up and over the freighter on to the water with a couple of other chaps in a tender waiting to board her, fired up the Yanmar’s and cruised the mile or so to the yard chosen to commission the craft, it all went smoothly, customs did there bit, I must say they did not take very long at, all over by about 11.30. Another post to follow with more photo’s showing some interior upgrades.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3600A.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	18914   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3603A.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	18915  

Name:	IMG_3606A.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	410.9 KB
ID:	18917   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3608A.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	404.6 KB
ID:	18918  

Name:	IMG_3609A.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	409.6 KB
ID:	18919   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3612A.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	411.4 KB
ID:	18920  

Name:	IMG_3613A.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	18921  
Old 03-09-2010, 04:13   #207

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Peterp,

Congradulation on your new ride. Looks "SWEET".

Great pictures also.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 04:56   #208

lagoon 400 2011 upgrade

Thanks Mark,
Hello Gerald and all, follow up from my unloading post, after the craft was moored we hopped on to eagerly to check out the upgrades, firstly I was disappointed to see the plotters were the ‘C’120 not the new ‘E’ series there was a misunderstanding apparently the ‘E’ series is a upgrade, anyway I am obtaining a quote to change them over, if it is too much I’ll leave as is, the second problem was I have a fridge and freezer, I ordered two fridges, many emails went backwoods and forwards in our negotiations so easy to make a error, the dealer is going to have the freezer replaced with the second fridge.
Now the good news. I was very pleased to see the new overhead cupboards have been very nicely dovetailed into one combining a new shelf / storage area above the microwave. The second change is the large fibreglass area behind the glass area has also had a makeover; they have fitted a nice timber cover all along this area over the fibreglass, and around the sides. The third change is the electrical box has had a smoke glass door fitted over the controls, quite smart. The fourth is the colour of the timber is a little darker giving a warmer feeling, the fifth is the draws next to the chart table have been relocated clearly because they would foul any one sitting at the chart table, I would have left them as is as they had more depth where they were, not happy about that, the last as far as I can see is the helm has a foot rest and the seat has been raised, (they must of taken notice of Hanafe’s ideas.)
These are small things but never the less adds a touch of class, also the green tinge glass has been replaced with a smoke tinged glass, and on the doors and windows, it all sort off blends in quite nicely, I have attached photo’s for clarification. I have also attached a photo of the new style davits a bit hard to see as everything is still bubble wrapped, I am pleased with these as they don’t exceed the rear transom which is important as the overall length does not exceed 12m, (my berths are 12M) with the tender it will a bit, but I can always float that under the hulls should the marine manager make a fuss over that. You will see the three panel solar panels, I think they will exceed the transom which is a pain but we will see. The photos will only give you an idea because I took them shortly after it was moored, everything is still bubble wrapped. The craft looks fairly ugly as it comes off the ship with lots of sticky stuff all over it, no mast etc. they advised it would be a couple of weeks to commission the craft, well that’s my update for now, stand by for part two. Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	controls.JPG
Views:	306
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	18932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Controls2.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	18933  

Name:	cupboards 2.JPG
Views:	351
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	18934   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cupboards.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	18935  

Name:	davitts.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	18936   Click image for larger version

Name:	Draws.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	18937  

Name:	footrest.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	18938   Click image for larger version

Name:	glass.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	18939  

Name:	Temp control.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	18940   Click image for larger version

Name:	timber sides.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	18941  

Name:	timber top 2.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	18942   Click image for larger version

Name:	Timber top.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	18943  

Old 03-09-2010, 05:18   #209

Washing machine

Forgot about the washing machine, a nice neat install, with the doors shut you would not believe the owners hull was really a laundrymat.
Regards Peter
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Washing machine.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	187.1 KB
ID:	18944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Washing machine2.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	18945  

Old 03-09-2010, 05:53   #210

Boat: Maverick 400 Catamaran
Congratulations Peterp, it is such an exciting moment. Did you ask the weight when they lifted it off with the cran? I think those loading cranes do have load cells as they need to balance the boat when they load it.

It is a bit of a heart stopping moment with her dangling 20m above the water!

Send lots of pictures

Cheers
Paul
paulrack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, lagoon 400