Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2015, 06:23   #16

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: ARC 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
racing is annoying. Robs you enjoyment of the moment. Like going nice place with camera and taking pictures all the time instead of experiencing place. I just put in extra reef to telegraph that not interested.

especially monos, as there is really nothing else to do during sail than constantly twist sail settings.
Not really racing, only wanting to pass the the boat ahead of you

If you have not fun setting the sails right, 15 to 17 days at the sea are going to be quite boring.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:51   #17

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Django only has one cat in front of him, the rest is behind him . Go Go Django. show them your stern
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:44   #18

Yes very fast that Lagoon 38 that (in what regards cats) has only ahead a Catana 472 and behind a lot of bigger cats, but on that division they can use the engine so we only have an idea of the true performance more ahead and truly only at the end when we saw the engine hours.

I hope he has not used the engine and in that case the performance is outstanding.

Too soon to tell about comparative results but for know the Big cats, two Fountain Pajot 67, a Lagoon 52 and a Fountain Pajot 57 and a Catana 582 are way behind the leading boats, two monohull, a Shipman 62 and a X 612. Curiously the Catana 472 is the one that is closer.

That Catana 472 is really going fast and regarding monohulls only a 46fter is on its tail, an Azuree 46 (very fast too) and providing both are sailing, it would be very interesting to follow the crossing of those two. But as I said it is still too soon.

The ones that want to follow the race and the crossing can do it here:

http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arc...eetviewer.aspx
Old 08-11-2015, 08:47   #19

Django does not use his engines he is a Sailor. he has sailed cats for more than 30 years,
he has sailed many races in his time, and with this lagoon380, beaten many mono`s (half boats) even in singelhanded races.
So follow this one, and you will se what a Lagoon 380 can do.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:53   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Django does not use his engines he is a Sailor. he has sailed cats for more than 30 years,
he has sailed many races in his time, and with this lagoon380, beaten many mono`s (half boats) even in singelhanded races.
So follow this one, and you will se what a Lagoon 380 can do.
Yes, I believe you are right. The doubt I raised meant no offense, just a possibility that I had seen on other boats in other editions. I remember a Island Packet 485 that had done once a "brilliant" start for some days

I have been following the ARC for several years and I have not only saw that a condo cat well sailed can be fast downwind on the trade winds, specially (if it has good medium or strong wind as it is to be expected there) as performance monohull cruisers are not slower than the cats on a Transat like this (generally speaking). The ARC+ is not a good one to see that since there are very few performance monohulls here besides the big ones that are on the lead and the Azuree 46. The ARC, with much more boats will be a better one to see that.

Anyway that Lagoon 38 is making a fantastic race, well ahead of many other bigger multihulls and monohulls of the same size.

Regarding the head of the race we can see almost side by side a X 612, a Shipman 63, a Swan 651, a Fountain Pajot 67, a Catana 582 and just a bit behind a Catana 472 and an Azuree 46.

I would say that till now the more impressive performance are the ones from the Azuree 46, the Catana 472....and the one of the Lagoon 38. Congratulation to him, he is certainly a great sailor.

http://www.worldcruising.com/arc/eventfleetviewer.aspx
Old 09-11-2015, 07:51   #21

Django and his crew are now #1 i Multihull class and #1 over al. And this is in the "slow camping boxs" Lagoon 380 i just love it.
Old 09-11-2015, 08:23   #22

Boat: 2010 Leopard 46

The Catana 472 - is that El Gato? Eric and Annie are both great sailors and very competitive. Annie was an Olympic windsurfer as well.
Looking4Neptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Django and his crew are now #1 i Multihull class and #1 over al. And this is in the "slow camping boxs" Lagoon 380 i just love it.
Django is making a great race and the "real" position of the boat is very good but regarding to be 1st in class and 1st overall it has nothing to do with the boat. That is a classification in compensated time and only means that Django is considered to be the one that is sailing better the boat to his rating and that is remarkable for Django. I had said before and say again: Congratulations to him. He is a great sailor!!!
Old 09-11-2015, 08:50   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4Neptune View Post
The Catana 472 - is that El Gato? Eric and Annie are both great sailors and very competitive. Annie was an Olympic windsurfer as well.
Yes it is. Great sailing too: Med sailors on the first Atlantic crossing

For following the race or to see the name and type of the boats just put the mouse over them:

World Cruising Club - Fleet Viewer
Old 09-11-2015, 12:20   #25

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Not really racing, only wanting to pass the the boat ahead of you

If you have not fun setting the sails right, 15 to 17 days at the sea are going to be quite boring.
totally agree. "North U. TRIM" book I am going thru now will help me set sail better.

But still dont like racing. Maybe to do with particular crooky cat owner that purposely hit our cat due to some stupid racing rule and start same second waving with his 'lawyer' team card.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 15:05   #26

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
totally agree. "North U. TRIM" book I am going thru now will help me set sail better.

But still dont like racing. Maybe to do with particular crooky cat owner that purposely hit our cat due to some stupid racing rule and start same second waving with his 'lawyer' team card.

Actually racing rules prohibit contact if there is room and opportunity for the unburdened vessel to keep clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:23   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Actually racing rules prohibit contact if there is room and opportunity for the unburdened vessel to keep clear.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
he must have been some important local official, whose parents got rich by killing aborigines.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:58   #28

Quote:

I am with you in what not liking doing around the cans racing, but that is just a personal thing. However racing across an ocean has noting to do with it. Even with so many boats around you rarely see another boat, except at the start

Regarding the ARC everything is still pretty much the same with the boats going with medium winds and some stronger ones on the way. However in some days and till the finish they will have several patches of weak winds and it would be very interesting to compare then the performance of the heavier boats with the lighter ones. With medium to strong winds those differences are attenuated.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:12   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I am with you in what not liking doing around the cans racing, but that is just a personal thing. However racing across an ocean has noting to do with it. Even with so many boats around you rarely see another boat, except at the start

Regarding the ARC everything is still pretty much the same with the boats going with medium winds and some stronger ones on the way. However in some days and till the finish they will have several patches of weak winds and it would be very interesting to compare then the performance of the heavier boats with the lighter ones. With medium to strong winds those differences are attenuated.
how much do you think knowing your boat well, adds to performance ?

Leading L38 suggests skills are large component of performance. As people sell boat after couple of years, they cant even get to know the boat properly.

I remember seeing someone on Seawind 1000, really skilled, what a difference that makes even against much larger boats. But I think he owned it more than 10 years.
Old 10-11-2015, 16:57   #30
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Safe trip mate. See you in the carib!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc