Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2015, 05:45   #1

Boat: Lagoon 380
ARC 2015

So we are ready for the ARC+, in all ½ of the 40 cats are Lagoons. As the smallest in the fleet, we have to be faster than the Lagoon 39's - but also faster than all the 400's no matter if they have spinnaker or squaretop mainsails. The handicappers also believe a Lagoon 380 to be as fast as the FP Lipari and Lavezzi - we will see.... Yellow bricks are installed so the ARC+ can be followed: Unsupported Browser#
django37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 16:27   #2

Re: ARC 2015

Are you in it to win it? That's what a race is about. I didn't think cruising was about winning a race. Then again, I don't comprehend the whole concept of racing boats that are designed to cruise. Makes as much sense to me as deciding which 4WD/ SUV is fastest around a formula 1 race track. Who cares?

Cruising boats should be SAFE, comfortable, load carriers capable of reasonable speeds. The actual speed is often dictated by crew comfort and the desire not to break things. Racers ignore these issues, often at their peril. Good luck and enjoy the ARC.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 16:36   #3

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

interesting point of view....
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 17:09   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskie View Post
Are you in it to win it? That's what a race is about. I didn't think cruising was about winning a race. Then again, I don't comprehend the whole concept of racing boats that are designed to cruise. Makes as much sense to me as deciding which 4WD/ SUV is fastest around a formula 1 race track. Who cares?

Cruising boats should be SAFE, comfortable, load carriers capable of reasonable speeds. The actual speed is often dictated by crew comfort and the desire not to break things. Racers ignore these issues, often at their peril. Good luck and enjoy the ARC.

I do believe anytime there are two or more boats traveling the same direction at the same time it is a de facto race.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 18:00   #5

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

so true....I am really enjoying these posts
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:01   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I do believe anytime there are two or more boats traveling the same direction at the same time it is a de facto race.

racing is annoying. Robs you enjoyment of the moment. Like going nice place with camera and taking pictures all the time instead of experiencing place. I just put in extra reef to telegraph that not interested.

especially monos, as there is really nothing else to do during sail than constantly twist sail settings.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:50   #7

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
racing is annoying. Robs you enjoyment of the moment. Like going nice place with camera and taking pictures all the time instead of experiencing place. I just put in extra reef to telegraph that not interested.

especially monos, as there is really nothing else to do during sail than constantly twist sail settings.

Unless racing is the moment. Ive had some great experiences racing.

The ARC is not for me though, its not really racing and its WAY too structured and hectic for my tastes.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 03:06   #8

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:

Two very different activities. I race professionally on occasion, and enjoy that, but have had some pretty "exciting" catastrophes/breakages on account of pushing the boat hard. This is part of the juice, though. However I also consider that in some ways racing is inimical to "good seamanship", and is certainly not about the experience of being at sea for its own sake. Indeed, racing is rather the attempt to demonstrate that you can be at sea for the shortest possible time!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:14   #9

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Go Django, put Lise on the weel and you trim the sails
Dont go to close to africa, less wind there.
First down to Cap Verde.

Start is around 12.00 GMT sunday. nov 8
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:24   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Each to their own, but personally..... I agree!

It's like the difference between going scuba diving for pleasure, or with a spear gun.

Completely different mindset and focus.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 15:47   #11

Quote:

it is a lot more fun,
Old 06-11-2015, 16:43   #12

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by django37 View Post
So we are ready for the ARC+, in all ½ of the 40 cats are Lagoons. As the smallest in the fleet, we have to be faster than the Lagoon 39's - but also faster than all the 400's no matter if they have spinnaker or squaretop mainsails. The handicappers also believe a Lagoon 380 to be as fast as the FP Lipari and Lavezzi - we will see.... Yellow bricks are installed so the ARC+ can be followed: Unsupported Browser#
Good luck to you Crossing the Atlantic is boring...unless you are trying to do it as fast as you can do it safely. That's the spirit of the ARC: A race for amateurs and a more fun way to cross the Atlantic.

On the ARC+ there are also a lot of other cats beside the Lagoons you mentioned there, a Fountain Pajot 57, a Catana 472, a Lagoon 52, a Neel 45 among others.

On the ARC+ the proportion between cats and monohulls is much bigger than on the ARC. Why is that? Have you a explanation?

Finally, have you the previewed dates for the start of the ARC+ and the ARC?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:27   #13

it al here

https://www.worldcruising.com/arc/arcitinerary.aspx

8 nov for ARC + and 22 Nov for de old ARC direct.
Old 07-11-2015, 19:18   #14

Quote:
Perhaps, but only if you are in the leading boat.
tuskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 00:09   #15

It is a lot more fun to be the hunter, trying to take the one up front.
start is 1200. for ARC + today.

Tags
arc