Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Lagoon Catamarans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2012, 07:24   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Anyone Want to Share Their Experiences With Lagoon's High Booms?

The boom of the Lagoon 560 is higher than my lower spreaders !!

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:40   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
The boom of the Lagoon 560 is higher than my lower spreaders !!

Nick.
Just for comparison's sake, could you try to climb up one of them for me during heavy weather?
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:32   #33

Boat: Lagoon 440

And after having seen one in real life i think i could loft the lines of a Sundeer in the cockpit... Cheers
Old 11-06-2012, 11:49   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
Just for comparison's sake, could you try to climb up one of them for me during heavy weather?
Nah, we don't sail in bad weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
And after having seen one in real life i think i could loft the lines of a Sundeer in the cockpit... Cheers
You mean the one up there at spreader height where seat-belts are required?

Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47   #35

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehmetCan View Post
day dreaming about washing the whole deck first thing in the morning or trying to figure out a way to open a stuck bolt with a cup of coffee.
!
I'm thinking you might be done in time to fix lunch.

Opening bolts with coffee I know nothing about.
Old 11-06-2012, 20:39   #36

A word of advice though, Boredom and a key-board can allow you to make statements you may regret later....... Cheers i gotta go wind up me winch, Frank
Old 12-06-2012, 01:02   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
A word of advice though, Boredom and a key-board can allow you to make statements you may regret later....... Cheers i gotta go wind up me winch, Frank
I'm afraid we've all been there, done plenty of that and have tons of evidence around the net to prove it!!!
MehmetCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:47   #38
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Hi Mehmet,

Since you are planning a circumnavigation on yr 560, I just want to tell you on my experience on my Atlantic trip of 6 months and 14.000 nm on my Orana 44 ft that I completed a month ago;

-560 is way too big for singlehandling. Don't ever rely on yr friends that are supposed to join you. That was my biggest mistake and most of the time I had to sail with my wife alone..

-don't even think of going through south America, pls do some more reading on this. It's not a jog..

-I took D400 wind generator which is in my view the best in the market place and no solar panel. Next time I will definately take a solar. It's true that with the trades wind gen doesn't produce much but don't forget that it charges day and night in the anchorage if there is a bit of wind. The problem is that you need to watch it out continiously and there are just too many things to watch..Solar has no running parts.
In any case you will need some kind of diesel generator as well in such a big boat along with 1000 Ah battery bank and a powerfull inverter for yr 220 toys..

-basing on my 20.000 nm of cat experience mostly offshore, I am not a big fan of high boom and this will definately cause you some extra problems. Nevertheless, if all of the rest with this boat is OK for you, you shouldn't give up simply because of this.
There is no perfect boat..

-The daily mileage on the Atlantic will depend a great deal on the wind you are going to have. With average winds I did Las Palmas-St Lucia in 17 days and Tortolla to Horta in 14 days with better winds. We mostly averaged 170-175 nm per day, never less than 135nm , and couple of days above 200 nm mark. With 560, you should be making at least 10-15 % more with similar winds, provided that you have an adequate rigging for down wind sailing, ie. spinneaker, twin genoa, genneaker, etc..

Lastly, Lagoon is about to announce a brand new 520. I would have a look to this model before I commit to 560.

Good luck

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:57   #39

Send a message via Skype™ to impi

We flew to the Miami Boat show to check out the 560 ... beautiful boat. We also have chatted to skippers here in the BVI Skippering (chartering) the 560 ... very good feedback. We have watched them sailing up here ... impressive.
However, Leopard has a brand new 58 and we have managed to get a view of the layout and computer drawings. A friend of mine is skippering it to the Anapolis Boat Show and another good mate of mine is taking it over as charter Captain in the BVI after the show.
We will definately be waiting to see this one before deciding any further!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 13:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
We flew to the Miami Boat show to check out the 560 ... beautiful boat. We also have chatted to skippers here in the BVI Skippering (chartering) the 560 ... very good feedback. We have watched them sailing up here ... impressive.
However, Leopard has a brand new 58 and we have managed to get a view of the layout and computer drawings. A friend of mine is skippering it to the Anapolis Boat Show and another good mate of mine is taking it over as charter Captain in the BVI after the show.
We will definately be waiting to see this one before deciding any further!
Oh yes ... Pricing ... exactly the same!
Old 09-07-2012, 14:20   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd View Post
Oh god, I LOVE some of the comments this forum can produce, that made me laugh!!

I know what you mean Mehmet. I'm currently helping a friend of mine choose a decent cruising cat' with a view to purchase early next year and me skippering it for him and i've told him NO LAGOON 440's etc with that boom. Quite frankly, I find the idea of a flybridge on a boat like that ludicrus as it's antisocial and a right PITA when mooring as you've got to manouver her from there, then run down a flight of steps to do a stern line instead of simply stepping to one side and throwing it on a more conventional setup. Add that to the fact that it means the boom is 5ft+ off the coachroof and the whole idea seems just daft.

Someone said 'cats dont heel', er, excuse me? A large cat' wont be at the silly angles that a mono will for sure but the sea is a wobbly place and it can throw the odd wave or swell at you that can easily knock you off balance. If that happens while up on the steps on one of those things, it would be quite un nerving to say the least.

No, i've told him 'a 420 or smaller please', or a Fountain Pajot or similar that have their booms lower along the coachroof.
I am sorry but this is LAUGHABLE !!! I hope your friend takes no advice from you as clearly you display a lack of experience on the Lagoon 440. From personal experience, and I have enough in varying conditions out at sea on a 440 and spend 24/7 on one ... it feels far calmer on the bridge in rough weather than down inside the boat. It also is ANYTHING BUT anti-social ... the long bench seats have most of my visitors up there than down, and it is VERY nice as an 'extra spot' to 'get away from it all' which is needed sometimes when at sea for days on end!

I love the view when docking the boat ... we docked plenty of times in howling winds in Cape Town and never had a problem tying alongside. If you find you have to 'run around' whilst tying to a dock, then you need to work on technique! for me the most crucial thing is bringing the boat in nicely and safely which is easier done with the great views from above ... the tying down is a 'relaxed procedure'.

I also think the boom height is over stated ... I lower the topping lift sufficiently and am EASILY able to stow the sails and zip the bag (and I am NOT a tall person) ... it surprises me to see some charterers are afraid to lower the topping lift enough to do his really easily.

Perhaps I have just got used to it ... but a catamaran with a bridge deck will ALWAYS be my requirement as I buy my boats into the future. Personally, I would'nt be surprised if you see more and more productions cats going the fly bridge route!
Old 09-07-2012, 14:36   #42

Boat: In between boats

As an honest inquiry, can the Lagoon 560 be single-handed effectively? That's always been my main buying point after the price.
SailingwithSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 15:01   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
As an honest inquiry, can the Lagoon 560 be single-handed effectively? That's always been my main buying point after the price.
Not sure why a boat that has so much room, entertainment areas and SPACE would be considered as a boat for a single-hander, any boat can be set up to work for a single-hander but a 560 would be in my opinion difficult, they are big boats....BUT there are better choices methinks...
Old 09-07-2012, 22:37   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingwithSoul View Post
Personally I do not think a 560 is a boat for a single hander ... I certainly would not want to be singe handed on one and even if one could it would'nt make for pleasant sailing ... but then again ... I could be proved wrong!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:10   #45

Boat: Lagoon 440 Pathfinder
A 560 is more space nd size than you will ever need for single sailing, i for one would not want to have to wash and clean such a massive boat.
On the flybridge issue, i would not buy a boat without one.
dirkdig is offline   Reply With Quote