Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2015, 17:39   #1

Young With Minimal Experience Want To Leave In Mid-Late February

I'm eighteen years old and want to be a liveaboard eventually. I'm willing to go anywhere to start and am really excited about long passages. I mainly want to do this to learn how to sail. This is my first post so if I did anything wrong, I'm sorry.
Old 02-01-2015, 17:52   #2

Boat: CS36T
Re: Young With Minimal Experience Want To Leave In Mid-Late February

Welcome to CF.
Old 11-01-2015, 13:51   #3

Boat: Monte Fino, Motor, 65 ft

Hi, check our post. We are looking for volunteer crew. Maybe you're interested.

Hi there,

We are a couple who is in need of a male volunteer crew (we don't prefer female or couple to prevent drama) in exchange for a free once in a lifetime one year travel experience on board our 65 ft yacht. You will have your own room but remember since this is a yacht, don't expect your room to be big(see pic 3)and bathroom and will have a chance to see the best of south Florida, the Bahamas, Carribean up to the Panama Canal, some parts of Mexico and California. Free food and basic toiletries

We expect the crew to be:
-a good swimmer
-have basic knowledge in areas related to anything nautical (you will have an advantage if you're a skipper)
-decent (no druggy, alcoholic and psychopath pls---we will conduct background check)
-drama free (that's why we don't want a couple lol)
-a go getter, passion for travel
-willing to learn about skipping and everything about the boat
-we are not keen on what you should do during your free time but pls no drinks&drugs on the boat

If you feel that you're the perfect candidate, pls do contact us and provide the ff:

Let us know what makes you the perfect crew for our yacht

Share a bit about your life story with us. A picture and link to your social media, blog, portfolio and the likes will be appreciated.

Like us on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...9&ref=bookmark
Old 06-02-2015, 19:54   #4

Hey are you still looking for crew? It doesn't say how long of a trip you have planned? I will send my details with your reply of basic details on length of your trip.
Old 08-02-2015, 19:22   #5

Boat: 45 loa Ketch

Let me know if you would be interested Nanaimo to Manila
Old 09-02-2015, 13:02   #6

Blindesided,

I was you not too long ago, albeit with some sailing experience. I don't necessarily recommend making a "long passage" your first time sailing and learning how to sail that way. I teach sailing on small boats and big boats, and commonly have adventurous people like yourself come on week-long charters - being their first time on a sailboat. What I've found is that folks new to the sport are quickly shocked by how un-glamorous sailing really is. The actual sailing is the best part, don't get me wrong, but cruising over long distances requires you to be more than just a sailor. You need to be a diesel mechanic, carpenter, fiberglass repairman, cook, cleaner, navigator, weatherman, plumber (more frequently than not in my experience), rigger,...and then you're a sailor.

I'm not saying don't do what you're doing - because I love your willingness to step right up to the challenge and learn. But you might consider seeking out an ASA sailing school and taking the 101 and 103 courses on basic keelboat sailing and coastal cruising. Those classes are very comprehensive and a lot of people benefit from them immensely. Additionally, I would start with a shorter passage for your first time, and possibly some bay sailing or coastal sailing before getting too deep into offshore stuff.

There are tons of post on here very regularly from owners/skippers who are willing to take new sailors and teach them along the way. With that being said, these opportunities present themselves from all over the world. Being 18 (and assuming you're from the States), you might reconsider flying to the somewhere like the Philippines or Croatia or somewhere waayyyy off to be your first sailing experience, unless your goal is to travel extensively in that region too. I'm 22, so I can relate....and I want you to spend oodles of money getting somewhere only to find out that sailing isn't for you.

So I recommend starting small, and locally, perhaps at a sailing club or marina nearby to talk to the sailors there. I can almost guarantee you will find a local sailor who will offer to introduce you to the sport if you talk to some at your local club.

Alternatively, (and sorry CF if I'm breaking a rule by pitching my own little business here) I have two charters going out of Key Largo cruising the FL Keys March 15 - 21 and 22 - 28 which are taking primarily non-sailor friends out for a week of island hopping the Keys, and could get you onboard either one of them. The sailing is moderate for the first week - 4 or 5 hours each morning to our next destination then snorkeling, kayaking, spearfishing, paddleboarding, beach, exploring, bars, etc in the afternoon. The second week has more longer-distances trips between days and an overnight. If you are keen, the cost is $600 per person for the entire week (including food, fuel, dockage, and the water toys) and I'm already planning on doing some sailing instruction for the group anyway so you could get an introduction to sailing that way. Just an idea. Website: Windswept Adventures - Home

Feel free to email me if you have any questions about sailing or anything - I'm all about getting new, young sailors into cruising.

Take care,

Vinny Mattiola
vincent.mattiola(at)gmail(dot)com
Old 10-02-2015, 21:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindesided View Post
I'm eighteen years old and ... am really excited about long passages. I mainly want to do this to learn how to sail.
Hello, and welcome to the forum.

This article may be helpful: Hitch-hiking across the Atlantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmattiola View Post
Cruising over long distances requires you to be more than just a sailor. You need to be a diesel mechanic, carpenter, fiberglass repairman, cook, cleaner, navigator, weatherman, plumber (more frequently than not in my experience), rigger,...and then you're a sailor.
Truer words were never spoken! Electrician may usefully be added to the list.

Quote:
So I recommend starting small, and locally, perhaps at a sailing club or marina nearby to talk to the sailors there.
Good advice from Vinny.

Quote:
I can almost guarantee you will find a local sailor who will offer to introduce you to the sport if you talk to some at your local club.
You will be especially welcome as racing crew. Experience is not terribly important for that … the key requirements are: (1) a positive attitude, and (2) reliability, i.e. consistently available throughout the season (every Thursday evening, or whatever the local schedule is).

Tags
enc