Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2015, 13:24   #1

Boat: Monte Fino, Motor, 65 ft
We are looking for a volunteer crew for our 65 ft motorboat

Hi there,

We are a couple who is in need of a male volunteer crew (we don't prefer female or couple to prevent drama) in exchange for a free once in a lifetime one year travel experience on board our 65 ft yacht. You will have your own room but remember since this is a yacht, don't expect your room to be big(see pic 3)and bathroom and will have a chance to see the best of south Florida, the Bahamas, Carribean up to the Panama Canal, some parts of Mexico and California. Free food and basic toiletries

We expect the crew to be:
-a good swimmer
-have basic knowledge in areas related to anything nautical (you will have an advantage if you're a skipper)
-decent (no druggy, alcoholic and psychopath pls---we will conduct background check)
-drama free (that's why we don't want a couple lol)
-a go getter, passion for travel
-willing to learn about skipping and everything about the boat
-we are not keen on what you should do during your free time but pls no drinks&drugs on the boat

If you feel that you're the perfect candidate, pls do contact us and provide the ff:

Let us know what makes you the perfect crew for our yacht

Share a bit about your life story with us. A picture and link to your social media, blog, portfolio and the likes will be appreciated.

Like us on Facebook:
https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?i...9&ref=bookmark

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 06-02-2015, 19:54   #2

Re: We are looking for a volunteer crew for our 65 ft motorboat

Hey are you still looking for crew? It doesn't say how long of a trip you have planned? I will send my details with your reply of basic details on length of your trip.
Old 06-02-2015, 20:17   #3

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Have you considered rewording your ad? The whole thing about a couple assuming that couples are a bunch of drama, including a woman insisting that females are a bunch of drama isn't really likely to get you a drama free male.

On the other hand, perhaps you are a bunch of drama and this is fair warning to potential crew.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:25   #4

Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiladysailor Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiladysailor

This advertisment is really interesting .
So let me get this straight , you want a volunteer crew to work for you with no pay ,who cannot have a glass of wine or a beer on board? even in port ?
Only men , to work for no money, crewing your yacht ... because men are drama free .?... Hilarious ,
Old 09-02-2015, 08:12   #5

Send a message via Skype™ to Lserpa

To crew a 65' M/Y without pay is a drama in itself. No need to add "couples" or "female" drama.

This is ludicrous. Hilarious. Dramatic.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:12   #6

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

If I was a canidate and I am not I would need a ton more information. You tell us nothing of substanse about yourselves other than your a couple with a 65 foot motor yacht and intended cruising grounds. You then go and set in stone your requirements for your male only rule because females basically are drama queens and not capabale of good semanship. That statement alone tells me you are closed minded and potentially dangerous in your decision making progress. On top of your male only requirement you condem your volenteer to a year of zero intimate companionship basically ignoring a basic human need while you yourself enjoy exactly that. This to me shows you really couldnt care less about your human slave and wish to have some moral control over his life as well as what he consumes during his free time altho I do agree with the prohibition of illeagle substances that could land the yacht in trouble but beer... Are you kidding me? So many people come off as real tyrants and you may not be but your post sure sounds like you could be. Good luck in finding the monk single, celibate, non drinking sailor extroidinare slave you desire.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:46   #7

Boat: Cooper 416

ShaktisBoy could not have said it better.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48   #8

Send a message via Yahoo to kiwiladysailor Send a message via Skype™ to kiwiladysailor

I agree with redcoat ....who agrees with Shaktisboy . I am curious to see who will be willing to take this couple on .
Old 09-02-2015, 10:59   #9

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Shirili

Its your boat, you make the rules and stick by them. Dont listen to these moaners and gnashers of teeth. I wish you well in your search, and I would suspect that the person who takes this on is more interested in the adventure and being on the sea, than concerning themselves about the no milk and cookies possibilities.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:12   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy Shirili.

You have already gotten some responses from others. Most seem negative regarding your ad and proposed position for a crew person.

However, I don't see the proposed position as unreasonable (in general), if some things are negotiable.

As for preferring a male crew member. I see that as the owner's prerogative.

As for having a "drug free" and "alcohol free" boat, I see that as the owner's prerogative too.

I was glad to see your ad posted here on this forum as it may help some forum member or visitor find a desired position, and I hope you find a good crewman. Thank you for posting the opportunity here, and I hope you have a wonderful voyage.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15   #11

I think I figured out why it's a "male only" position. Don't think they expect him to be too lonely though...
Old 09-02-2015, 16:04   #12

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
I think I figured out why it's a "male only" position. Don't think they expect him to be too lonely though...
Could be.
Old 10-02-2015, 22:36   #13

This could be a good deal for the right person: e.g., a youngster seeking a 'gap year' experience, or an early retiree.

Room and board on a nice motor yacht, in exchange for assistance with watch keeping and routine maintenance, would not be not exactly horrible. Perhaps heavier work is required, in which case most people would probably expect cash wages; but that will be the crew's decision to make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
It's your boat, you make the rules and stick by them…. I would suspect that the person who takes this on is more interested in the adventure and being on the sea, than concerning themselves about the no milk and cookies possibilities.
+1. Along as the terms are fully agreed up front, what real harm is done?

It seems like most passages will be short; so the volunteer crew can always jump ship at an early opportunity if things don't work out. Previous references to slave labour are unwarranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
You then go and set in stone your requirements for your male only rule because females basically are drama queens and not capable of good seamanship. That statement alone tells me you are closed minded and potentially dangerous in your decision making progress.
Hmmm … I didn't see the above "statement" in the original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaktisBoy View Post
On top of your male only requirement, you condemn your volunteer to a year of zero intimate companionship, basically ignoring a basic human need while you yourself enjoy exactly that.
I didn't see that in the original post either: basically.
Old 10-02-2015, 23:13   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirili View Post
Hi there,

"We are a couple who is in need of a male volunteer crew (we don't prefer female or couple to prevent drama)..."

"Share a bit about your life story with us. A picture and link to your social media, blog, portfolio and the likes will be appreciated."
How to say this delicately -

It's clear from the FB photos that the OP is an older gentleman married to a younger gal who appears to be from a country where women are often rather jealous of other women. That may explain the desire for a male only.

In other words, the drama mentioned may not be due to the help but may stem from him knowing his wife...

However, I find it interesting that you request a "life story", social media links, blog, etc... when you yourself have nothing but some self-aggrandizing pictures of your recent cruise on your own FB page and NOTHING on your blog page: https://msshirilillc.wordpress.com/

Hardly a life-story of your own there. Clearly the intent is to vet others and not to forge a mutual bond.

...I'll muzzle myself and forgo the cheap-charlie accusations and social commentary about it being utter BS to expect somebody to work for absolutely NO remuneration whatsoever - but it's clear that's your contemptible goal.

Guess I didn't entirely mute myself ~

Tags
crew, motor