Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2010, 12:50   #1

Old Hand and (Very) Young Crewman for the ARC

I have a Yachtmaster qualification and a lot of blue water experience. I would be glad to help any family boat wanting to sail the ARC this year (at my own expense) if I can bring my ten year old godson along. He's a good dinghy sailor, disciplined, doesn't seem to get seasick and he plays the guitar (so do I). I also cook well and can navigate by sextant if necessary. Anyone interested? Email me as JtheNavigator at Yahoo.co.uk if you would like to talk about it. All the best.
Old 28-08-2010, 13:58   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
You sound like a Fairy Godfather to me!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
Old 28-08-2010, 20:10   #3

Thanks, Serafina

Very funny! But wrong ... I have five children and three grandchildren and I have known the boy's mother for more than twenty years. It's all very proper. Taking the youngster along is my only possible excuse for indulging in another long sailing voyage before I'm too old for it - I have sailed the Atlantic twice already (and the Pacific and the Indian Ocean). But I may have to rephrase my ad. It obviously gave you quite the wrong idea!
Old 28-08-2010, 20:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
I have a feeling she didn't mean anything bad, more alongs the line that she would love a godfather like you

Good luck on your journey!

Old 28-08-2010, 20:30   #5

Yeah, sounds more like "the kind of guy I wish I had around when I was a kid."
Old 28-08-2010, 21:14   #6
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Yes I agree , it was meant as a complement- the world needs more folks like you!
Old 29-08-2010, 17:51   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Oh my goodness!

I totally meant as in "how lucky that young man is to have a wonderful person in his life, (like a fairy godmother) to make magical things (like going sailing/cruising) happen in his life!"

I didn't mean anything negative at all!

Damn internet... it's so easy to be misunderstood, or miscommunicate or misconstrue!

I hope you find a boat to crew on with him!

Old 29-08-2010, 18:44   #8

Boat: Sceptre 41
How about going the other way. I am thinking of doing an Atlantic Crossing in May and might (may lol) need crew

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 29-08-2010, 19:05   #9

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by JtheNavigator View Post
Very funny! But wrong ... I have five children and three grandchildren and I have known the boy's mother for more than twenty years. It's all very proper. Taking the youngster along is my only possible excuse for indulging in another long sailing voyage before I'm too old for it - I have sailed the Atlantic twice already (and the Pacific and the Indian Ocean). But I may have to rephrase my ad. It obviously gave you quite the wrong idea!
Sounds like a wonderful time. Sarafina, as has been pointed out, was being admiring. One word of caution, to make sure the voyage isn't spoiled by bureaucrats of one stripe or another, Mexico I know, requires notarized letters from the absent parent when one parent brings a kid into the country. I don't know the laws regarding this anti-child theft measure, but it would probably be worth your while to check requirements of all the countries you'll touch on your way in advance, so any paperwork can be handled in advance.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:29   #10

Misunderstanding over - but it still makes me laugh!

I am so sorry I misunderstood Sarafina's initial comments - who was it (Oscar Wilde?) who said that the British and Americans are divided by a common language? Anyway, the misunderstanding has made me laugh a lot and I am telling the story to all my friends.

The point about parental permission is a very good one - I shall do something about that; I had assumed a simple letter of enough would be enough but a notarised document would be better. Also, if we don't get to do the trip in November, perhaps we can help in May, going the other way. That would be interesting.

Sailing is such good training for youngsters and this young man has had a difficult time. He has a visual disability which made it incredibly difficult to read and write. It was undiagnosed for his first three years at school. He is reading well now - despite this - but non-verbal, non-literary achievments are important to him. It's a bit of a responsibility to take him on an ocean voyage but I think he's up for it. And I am too, just about - best wishes to all, J.
Old 31-08-2010, 15:26   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Glad you are dining out on it ; -)

You will need one that specifically says what borders he may cross, and a medical release as well so you can get him medical care in the event of a medical emergency.

My sister and I have swapped kids over the years and traveled with them. Done the Mexican, Canadian and French borders. Canada didn't want to let my nephew in with us, and Mexico didn't want to let my daughter OUT with them! No trouble in France, by them we had it down.

Lots of paper with stamps and signatures and dates are good in this case;

passport
medical release
insurance paperwork
permission to travel
permission to cross such and such border

And tell the kid to keep quiet unless spoken to and to answer questions BRIEFLY and simply;

He should be prepared to give your full name
his own full name
his parents full names
his birthday, place of birth
where he lives
why he is traveling with you
answer affirmatively that his parents DO know where he is

don't even ask how I know all those questions....

Old 31-08-2010, 16:59   #12

All those documents?

Gosh .... but what good advice, thank you. I shall take note. Best wishes, J.
Old 31-08-2010, 17:26   #13

Is ARC your goal, or would you fly across the pond with the youngster and expore our side? Bermuda, Bahamas, etc., on "our side." What is you timeframe?
Old 01-09-2010, 00:12   #14

Definitely the ARC ....
Old 01-09-2010, 03:19   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
You could see if you could have a solicitor look at drawing up a waiver of liability. So if the child kicks an wnich and breaks his foot he can't sue the owner/skipper.

It may be a way to get around some peoples reservations.

However a lawyer may not think its possable for a child to have actions at torts waived.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy

Tags
arc