Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Crew Positions: Wanted & Available > Crew Archives
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2014, 17:43   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Westsail 43
Arrow Offshore sailing class and surf trip, CA through Panama Canal and up to New England i

Hi all, I'm an ASA sailing instructor, been a working captain for 15 years teaching and running charter boats. I'm moving my own boat for a change so I'm offering offshore sailing classes along the passage from San Diego to Panama, through the Canal, then up the Caribbean to New England. We leave early November 2014, the whole trip will be about 6 months. We have a few surfboards, fishing gear, a stand-up paddleboard, snorkle gear, etc, come along if you're looking to have a great time and learn a lot, and are willing to help out with expenses (fuel/food/immigration). The trip is broken down into 1-2 week legs, and there will be a captain, one experienced crew, and room for 2 students on each leg. Couples welcome, all levels of experience. Several of my former students will be along at various times. I run a laid-back boat, no yelling, lots of learning and take time for fun whenever we can. Fair winds,

-Jesse
Old 04-10-2014, 07:47   #2

Boat: 45'=not anymore
Send a message via Skype™ to xxuxx
Re: Offshore sailing class and surf trip, CA through Panama Canal and up to New Engla

It would help if you descibed your vessel.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: Offshore sailing class and surf trip, CA through Panama Canal and up to New Engla

I just put up a page that has a bunch of info about the trip and the boat, also it shows the boat model in my profile Site is bettermarineservices dot com slash class dot html, obviously replace the words dot and slash with the appropriate characters. But she's a West Sail 43.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

What legs do you have available spots open on? Are you offering ASA cert's as well?
Old 04-10-2014, 09:19   #5

I've got some time January and probably feb lot of vacation to use can you give me a rough price for a leg I know there's lots of variances last year I did trinadad to Martinique and all I between but still more to see lol

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 04-10-2014, 10:03   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hi guys, I have spots on nearly all the legs still. First one, San Diego to Cabo is pretty much full, but some room left on leg 2, and lots on the rest. Had a ton of emails about this, sorry if it takes me time to reply to anything, been going through a lot of responses. Price per leg is $500 towards fuel/immigration, plus an even split on groceries when we go to the market. I'm working on setting up ASA certs, but I have to go through one of my old schools to do that and the prices will go up a lot. I can teach a class without the cert on my own just for expenses, but lots of other people need to get paid to get the certificates issued. I'll post more info if that becomes a solid option. Be sure to check out the site if you haven't already, I've answered a lot of questions there already, and I'll be updating it as things progress.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:42   #7

Boat: Club Sailor; various

The school/club I'm a member of charges $895 for a four day ASA 105, 106, 114 certification(s) class if that helps determine pricing...

Old 04-10-2014, 11:03   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
The school/club I'm a member of charges $895 for a four day ASA 105, 106, 114 certification(s) class if that helps determine pricing...

Thanks OldFrog75! That's the curriculum I've been teaching since 2004 (plus the nav class and the beginner courses). One of the schools I taught for was Marina Sailing out of Long Beach, up in your neck of the woods. This will be 1-2 weeks per leg, so a bit more in depth than the 4-day class, plus exploring ashore, surfing, etc whenever we can. The only bit I won't teach is celestial nav, but a few of my students self-studied for that on our last Atlantic crossing.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:53   #9
Marine Service Provider

OK guys, had a huge response to this - boat should be pretty much full at this point. Any further crew will be going into my "alternates" pile, you'll only hear from me if someone flakes out. Feel free to follow along - I'll be posting a blog linked from the trip page.
Old 08-12-2014, 16:51   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quick update here: we are in La Paz, Mexico, prepping the boat for the next leg down to Puerta Vallarta. Taking the holidays off in PV, then next leg will be PV to Zihuatenejo Jan 1. I have 1 spot left for that leg, then we're doing a big offshore jump to Costa Rica. That leg is probably full, but then I have some space for cruising CR and Panama to the Canal. So far so good, Koae is doing great! If anyone is interested, follow "Koae Sailing" Facebook group, there's a link to our SPOT and (when possible) daily updates and pics. Message me there, it's about the only internet I'm checking at all regularly.
Cheers,
-Jesse
Old 08-12-2014, 17:26   #11

Boat: Hunter 386

Still interested, if the timing is right. Joined Facebook group.

Bruce
Old 06-01-2015, 13:20   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to paula_steve

Hi Jesse! Sent a msg via FB and rqst to join the group. Would love to join if all works out
Old 09-01-2015, 15:19   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Oliver YS

Hello,

my name is Olivier from Belgium and currently living in Panama. I speak fluent spanish and have assisted several yachts as a line handler during their canal transit.
If you are short of a line handler, please do not hesitate to contact me.
+507 6602 0498
Safe travels,
Olivier

Tags
England, new england, offshore, Panama, Panama Canal, sail, sailing