Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 19:25   #1

Trip from East Coast Florida, Through Panama Canal to Phuket, Thailand

hi, i am planning a trip for the near future from the east coast of florida, through the panama canal, then across to phuket in thailand.
firstly what is the best time of year to do this trip ? i want to take the most direct route which can be modified to find more favourable waters and conditions with some interesting short stopovers on the way.
i would appreciate any feedback from anyone who has done this trip or parts of it.
an insight into the whole panama canal procedure (navigation,costs etc.) would be great also.

scottie
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33   #2

Boat: Boatless
Buy Jimmy Cornell's "World Cruising Routes"

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I left Jax in May. Sailed down to Miami. From there to the Jumeintos @ Sharks Cay. To the windless Passage, motoring. Around Jamaica, and then turned for Panama. Unfortunately the wind was coming from S.W. so we stopped in Cartegena. Then on to Panama.

Cost to transit the canal depends on how you go about it. My cost was $1100 by using Stanley as a broker. You can save money by doing it yourself, but it was well worth eliminating the chaos for several hundred dollars extra.

We got linehandlers from the maritime academy for the cost of their bus ticket. Stanley supplied everything else, and then picked it up at the other end.

A lot of cruisers line handle for eachother for the experience. It was a piece of cake, and if I was to do it again. I would use Stanley, and the students again.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:35   #4

Phil,
Do not know the etiquette about reviving old threats but I am struggling with the same question and Cornell's book actually raised one more instead of answering it. Question: Why is it advised to go through the panama canal already in Feb? I know it has to do with the weather in the pacific but after having read the chapter two times I still had not found that answer... Thanks!
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:19   #5

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Jimmy Cornell's book on World Cruising should not be considered a bible of cruising routes. IMO

Useful as it is, it only reflects an average of conditions for historicialy poven routes, and Cornell's opinion.

Leaving Panama in Feb., hopefully will put you in the South Pacific after their cyclone (hurricane) season.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:34   #6

Hi John, thnx very much for getting back to me.
Trying to come up with a game plan for a big trip incl south pacific leaving NY somewhere in the first quarter 2012. I guess realistically that puts us in the carribe and central america for almost a yr (spending hurricane season in columbia/rio dulce?) and than going through the canal in Feb 2013. The other scenario would basically mean skipping the carribe altogether by going from NY 'straight' to the canal?
Again, thnx for your reply.
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, florida