Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2010, 20:56   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
- Sometimes the crew chips in and shares expenses
- Sometimes the skipper pays crew
- Sometimes the crew pays the skipper

In the right context each solution has validity.

And Bash - Your hospitality is awesome!
And Frank - that was my jar. Didn't you see me put it in my pack at the end of the day? I learned a long time ago that you put a jar with a few bucks in it down somewhere and someone will put more money in.
Old 27-08-2010, 21:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Attitudinal crew...

My problem with crew is not so much mercenary as attitude.

I've have some pleasant exceptions (thank you to the CF member who crewed with me) but I've also had a few who seemed to think that I should bow to their every wish if they even thought about stepping onto my boat.

I don't think it comes down to money. The same problem would most likely exist (and has in one instance) if I paid, or in the very unlikely case that I was getting a few expenses.

To me it's more about the relationship. There isn't one with strangers, and by the time the kinks are worked out they're off on their own boat or someone elses.
Old 27-08-2010, 21:47   #18
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
- Sometimes the crew chips in and shares expenses
- Sometimes the skipper pays crew
- Sometimes the crew pays the skipper

In the right context each solution has validity.

And Bash - Your hospitality is awesome!
And Frank - that was my jar. Didn't you see me put it in my pack at the end of the day? I learned a long time ago that you put a jar with a few bucks in it down somewhere and someone will put more money in.
Oh, that reminds me, Dan . . . as you know, I was heading to the airport for my flight home right after we returned to SYC and, well, prices in San Francisco being what they are, I was coming up a little short for the shuttle. So, uhm, if your tip jar felt a little light, well, let's just say I appreciate the assist. I swear, I'll make it good the next time we all get together.

TaoJones
Old 28-08-2010, 01:16   #19

Boat: seawind II Patience
That is one reason I sail solo.Used to run boats,had deck hands(paid) hat knew less than nothing pita.marc
Old 28-08-2010, 02:58   #20

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
After bitter experience anyone who gets on my boat is either going to be paying for the privilege or someone who I know personally or by long standing repute.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 28-08-2010, 04:06   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Theres lots of different paths to sailing. About as many as there are diffent boats!
I am looking for someone (perhaps) and I mentioned in my add there would be a commitment of food expenses and "a small contribution to the overall maintenance budget of the boat".

If 2 folks agree then thats fine, but if they don't its only a wasted email.

I'm not asking for profit. Nor asking for anything like what those companies that get people sea miles.

But I do agree my way is not everyones way, either.

Also some people who jump onto boats paying their own food etc find themselves polishing fibergalss all day! Now thats slave labour imho.
But some may like it as their contribution

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 28-08-2010, 04:10   #22
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
After bitter experience anyone who gets on my boat is either going to be paying for the privilege or someone who I know personally or by long standing repute.

P.

After your recent experience I'm surprised you haven't installed a walking plank on the side of the boat! Some crew just need to take a bout walk over the side and disappear.

But really what is the "standard" for crew you get to help you move your boat as far as expenses and travel money. And I'm talking non-paid crew (if you are hiring a crew or captn then you agree to all this up front).

As far as the OP I still don't understand what they are so mad at; how can you be mad about doing whatever was agreed to by both parties. Even if if you don't like it.
Old 28-08-2010, 05:09   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Snip ..

But really what is the "standard" for crew you get to help you move your boat as far as expenses and travel money. And I'm talking non-paid crew (if you are hiring a crew or captn then you agree to all this up front). Snip ..
Donno I've seen all sorts of deals offered. The ones where I think there is some 'questionable practice' are delivery skippers looking for crew who are expected to contribute for food and even to pay their fare home. They, the skippers, tender for a job with a price that precludes paying crew and get some mugs to crew for them. It takes bread out of the mouths of more ethically minded skippers who recognize that you can't safely deliver a vessel over thousands of miles without competent crew, who should be paid.

With my 'crew from hell'™ I figured that we didn't need her, just would like an extra hand so I offered board and travel expenses plus certified sea miles. I think that's reasonable but many cruisers are not able to do that, so you offer what you can. In the end it's between the two party's to the deal, even the delivery skippers.

P.
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
Old 28-08-2010, 05:28   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I did one for a long passage years ago. Owner said he'd pay food and airfares. so I flew to the USA. The boat was on the hard. No mast. No hatches. Saloon was on the DOCK! No rudder, no anchor.
I worked for 2 months on the prick of a thing and beer wasn't included cos the guy was a christian.
But he was great fun and the boat was nice. But 2 months slave labour... LOL

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 28-08-2010, 05:34   #25

My boat needs a little detailing and waxing, oh and a anti-foul paint job. Airfare and food Mark?
Old 28-08-2010, 05:41   #26

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
I don't know... I kinda look at it like hitch hiking. If your going the direction I want to move and your comfortable takinging me along, awesome! But I'm not sleeping with you so I can't expect you to buy me dinner - just like the last time I hitch hiked ( an experience it was. I still want to thank Bob for having the heart to pick me up in the pouring rain, I must have looked pretty rough!) that said if you get a flat tire on the way you wouldn't expect the hitchhiker to pay for half to get it fixed or anything at all and if he/she gives you a little something to help out with the gas that's up to them, but even if it's only a buck or two the gesture is always much appreciated.

Now if I am not trying to go anywhere and my buddy calls me
Buddy : "wana help me move a fridge?"
Me : "is there beer in said fridge that needs drinking"
Buddy : "there could be..."
Me : "I am on my way". That just what buddies do. Replace fridge with boat that needs to be moved up or down the north American pacific coast.

Then there is the guy that can't do what he wants to do without help, not a buddy yet, you might never see him again once your done. Every thing needs to be done his way. And he plans to complain if you don't pack boxes into a storage container the way he thinks is best... I don't get out of bed for less than $25 an hour plus away from home expenses. If you need my skill then it's a fair deal, if you can't afford to pay me then we could trade or barter something of value... Is you wife hot?

In the end if sailing for hours suits both parties needs... Awesome let's sail. If not let talk about whiskey, women, or the loot.
Old 28-08-2010, 05:51   #27

Boat: grampian 26
paying to crew

I would think that if you are expected to pay as crew on a boat you should be entitled to something in return.A vessel carrying paying passengers, crew or otherwise must have a different class of insurance, I believe it is "home trade three".If it was me shelling out my hard earned money I would like an outline of what I was going to be taught and the qualifictions of the teacher.
If the boat owner accepts money in return for crew services he automatically assumes some level of liability since he is technically offering a service for a fee.
Old 28-08-2010, 06:02   #28

Boat: Columbia 41
It is always amazing to me that one can put $50k tp $100k into a fully fitted out boat and then someone say, "if you are expected to pay as crew on a boat you should be entitled to something in return". Not so long ago I had two young men cheerfully agree to crew for me on a trip to Bermuda. They new little about offshore work but would have a fair understanding of it by the time we returned to the Chesapeake. I, my regular crew and the new guys went on an orientation sail and all went well. But on sailing day they were no shows. Keep in mind, they would have paid nothing for the trip. I think crew should put up a deposit of, say, $250 a week in advance of departure. Said deposit is refundable when they and the boat pass the sea bouy outward bound.
Old 28-08-2010, 06:10   #29

Boat: 36 Cheoy Lee clipper
maybe I feel that I am worth more than I am ..but I stay pretty busy and enjoy what I do... I don't pay to deliver boats!! and I do charge a small fee per day to help ..and I mean SMALL,,, though I do bring something to the table most people donot.. I am a mechanic and can fix ANYTHING!! I usually arrive a day or two early and spend that time preparing the boat for the voyage ... Something always breaks.. and I fix it ...2 weeks ago on a delivery from Charleston to Annapolis at 1 am 20 miles off of Hatteras the steering went out on the 40' hunter we were delivering in 25 knot winds....... While the owner and guests were in shock I got out the emergency tiller... dropped some sail.. got the crew in order and went to work jury rigging the steering to get us home... an hour later and to this day the owner and crew swear I saved our bacon... I just did what was instictive... and enjoyed every minute of the panic... maybe I am sick..

I travel light on clothes...heavy on tools ..and require the boat owner to have certian spares on board... and arrive early to inspect the boat

I have found from experience that many boat owners don't understand the workings of their boat. Offshore there needs to be someone onboard who does.

My point is ... if you are not a newbie... you do more than carry your wieght..you actually have something to offer..then you are an asset and worth something.
If you are a newbie... be glad to do it for free food and adventure and get to the dock on your own.... I have seen newbies who were dead wieght due to seasickness or just lazy!
Old 28-08-2010, 06:46   #30

Boat: FPD 1760 LCD 17"screen
I see the issue slightly diversified .

If you take on crew that is absolutely inexperienced and will learn from you then a reasonable fee should be expected. After all I am saving myself expensive lessons.

If I am experienced and you need my help I would still expect to pay somewhat for my food and certainly booze. However that then means that you need to cater to my needs as well and if I need Nutella then I need Nutella...Upkeep of the boat ? If I put more wear and tear on your boat than what you would expect doing it solo then yes .

If you deliver a boat professionally then you earn and taking on crew for your convenience (shared watches etc) and you are my employer and I would expect to be kept at least on "au pair terms"- food and pocket money.

In general I think a completely free trip when taking on board a stranger is psychologically not a good idea. People appreciate more when they have paid and think they might miss out on an experience they "paid" for . If you offer it all for free the experience loses status in the minds of some people and you might get crew with attitude.

Well,that is the view from the dock.